LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

APE: Anyone competitent work there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 03:46 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APE: Anyone competitent work there?

Here's a brief recap of my experiences with APE. I will allow you to draw your own conclusions...

I ordered a "balanced" rotating assembly and main studs in August. I ordered "race" heads, injectors, twin Walbro fuel pumps, head studs, pushrods, gaskets, and cam in September.

1) to get 90% of the parts took until the beginning of december
2) "race" heads are not polished... Not the runners, not the chambers, nada
3) wrong cam sent
4) replacement cam took 7 weeks
5) no bearings were included -- Chris promised to overnight them to me so I could get my build done in beginning of Decemeber, they arrived 10 days and 5 phone calls later
6) Fuel pumps NEVER arrived
7) wrong pistons -- despite ordering heads from them, they ordered the pistons for a different chamber size
8) "balanced" assembly is 80 grams off in the front and 63 grams off in the back
9) the pistons again <sigh> ONE piston has been machined so that it is 20% lighter than the other seven... (we assume this is to clear the crank sensor ring, but COME ON... ONE PISTON LIGHTER????!!??)
10) the replacement cam is also slightly wrong but close enough
11) It took from August until December to get all the parts of the rotating assembly (and not just the bearins...)
12) It took from September to the end of December to get all the head / injector / etc parts and I had to cancel the fuel pumps after being promised they had shipped once a week for 7 weeks.
13) I have to pay to get my "balanced" rotating assembly rebalanced because no one at APE (read Chris) will return my calls since the "credit" for the heads and the fuel pumps they claim to have issueed oon 12/23 has never shown up as a credit to my cc company...

Now, I could understand some of this had I ever once been an ******* about any of this. On the contrary I was VERY understanding about it all and gave them chance after chance after chance to make it right. At this point, I'm done with 'em.

Good thing credit card companies dispute charges.

I forgot to mention: I've been without my daily driver since 11/15 largely because of parts missing / wrong from APE. Everything was absolutely promised to me by the first week of Novemeber...

Last edited by TurboBerserker; 01-19-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know that I will avoid them at all costs now
Old 01-19-2005, 05:01 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Here's a brief recap of my experiences with APE. I will allow you to draw your own conclusions...

I ordered a "balanced" rotating assembly and main studs in August. I ordered "race" heads, injectors, twin Walbro fuel pumps, head studs, pushrods, gaskets, and cam in September.

1) to get 90% of the parts took until the beginning of december
2) "race" heads are not polished... Not the runners, not the chambers, nada
3) wrong cam sent
4) replacement cam took 7 weeks
5) no bearings were included -- Chris promised to overnight them to me so I could get my build done in beginning of Decemeber, they arrived 10 days and 5 phone calls later
6) Fuel pumps NEVER arrived
7) wrong pistons -- despite ordering heads from them, they ordered the pistons for a different chamber size
8) "balanced" assembly is 80 grams off in the front and 63 grams off in the back
9) the pistons again <sigh> ONE piston has been machined so that it is 20% lighter than the other seven... (we assume this is to clear the crank sensor ring, but COME ON... ONE PISTON LIGHTER????!!??)
10) the replacement cam is also slightly wrong but close enough
11) It took from August until December to get all the parts of the rotating assembly (and not just the bearins...)
12) It took from September to the end of December to get all the head / injector / etc parts and I had to cancel the fuel pumps after being promised they had shipped once a week for 7 weeks.
13) I have to pay to get my "balanced" rotating assembly rebalanced because no one at APE (read Chris) will return my calls since the "credit" for the heads and the fuel pumps they claim to have issueed oon 12/23 has never shown up as a credit to my cc company...

Now, I could understand some of this had I ever once been an ******* about any of this. On the contrary I was VERY understanding about it all and gave them chance after chance after chance to make it right. At this point, I'm done with 'em.

I forgot to mention: I've been without my daily driver since 11/15 largely because of parts missing / wrong from APE. Everything was absolutely promised to me by the first week of Novemeber...
damn, these guys are pretty well known and regarded. Things like this make me inclined to use a local yocal if I ever need work done. At least I have the power of daily visits.
Best of Luck to you and I hope this doesn't cost to terribly much more.

You know, stuff like this really sours what should be a wonderful experience.
Some, many of us save a long time for
Old 01-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Naked AV

Old 01-19-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

that sucks man. I thought that Parish ran into some trouble with them building his 408 before he had Combination build it??? Im not positive but i think he did. either way that sucks man.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker

I totally disagree with the "if I had been an *******" thing. Thats total b.s. If a company takes your money they have a duty to complete the job as specified. You arent paying for friends. They have the right to refuse service to you. If they accept it, they had better do the job. That is absolutely horrible. I had thought about going with them for my new motor. Not now.
I hope everything works out for you. This is the main reason I have such a hard time letting my money go. I will seriously hurt someone and face court proceeding before I get ripped off by some *******!
Old 01-19-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Note to myself...

Don't shop with APE
Don't upset greentahoe
Old 01-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Not trying to hide this at all but, it goes in the Sponsor Feedback. Gotta move it there.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by greentahoe
I will seriously hurt someone and face court proceeding before I get ripped off by some *******!

Gee tell us how you really feel.

Well, it sounds like you gave them every chance you could. I know I wouldn't have of been that patient, especially when dropping that kind of coin. I wonder if they'll chime in to defend themselves seeing as their a sponsor.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:17 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Originally Posted by LTNKLR01
that sucks man. I thought that Parish ran into some trouble with them building his 408 before he had Combination build it??? Im not positive but i think he did. either way that sucks man.
Jim had problems with ARE - Agostino Racing Engines

Erik had problems with APE - AP Engineering
Old 01-19-2005, 06:18 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

That's for the support guys.

And my apologies to mods -- I was looking for right forum and evidently cross posted this topic in a couple of wrong places.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:21 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LTNKLR01
you are thinking of ARE. i didn't get a motor from them but i did get all of my money back. i have no hard feelings with ARE.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Erik,

From the time I ordered my block it took 8 weeks to build my motor and I was a pain in the ***…..

16 weeks is unacceptable, especially when you don't get phone calls back....

Good luck with everything from here......

Quick Reply: APE: Anyone competitent work there?