Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone else have a problem with scraping the underside or "chin" of the front end?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else have a problem with scraping the underside or "chin" of the front end?

I have had the underside of the front end (directly under the grill) scraped by our terrible roads and drainage culverts driving though town. Am I the only one who has this or is this a common problem?

Does anyone just leave it since its not easily seen or do you run out and have it retouched up and if so what costs are you seeing for this?

I'm hoping it not just me and my driving because I am very careful but it seems to still happen anyway.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a common problem. Sometimes it's not the nose of your car, but the flap under it that pulls and directs air into the radiator...

I leave it..bc you cant see it..so it's not really a big deal.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The plastic piece is what scrapes for me, I have never actually had the 'nose' of the car scrape.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The black air thing that directs air up across the radiator I have no problem with scraping as it sticks down, I can't do anything about that. The underside of the nose though, that pisses me off.

I drive pretty carefully on the street and I looked under the nose when I was detailing it and there are scrapes, not huge ones but enough to **** me off, all along the center section on the bottom of the nose/chin. I had just had this repainted after a tow truck driver scraped it putting it on the slider when the motor went south last November.

This is the one thing that pisses me off about our cars. I guess I shouldn't worry about it then? I mean no one looks at it and then gets on their knees in front of the car (unless they're mustang owners bowing to the power)to look under this area.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive never scraped the nose, but the owner before me did. im just gonna leave it, its not that bad on mine, and you cant see it anyway.

every so often im not paying attention and i scrape my airdam.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I've never had the nose scrape but the airdam will hit all the time. Don't worry about it, they can take some major abuse (believe me). If you really hate the scraping I have seen a few people cut down the airdamn alittle bit. You should be able to cut alittle off wihtout any cooling issues.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

is your car lowered? i have some pretty low springs (sportlines) and dont have any trouble scraping the actual nose piece. occasionally i will scrape the black spoiler in the front on steep driveways etc..
Old 01-26-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, I haven't lowered the car yet. I was planning on putting some BMR lowering springs unless someone has a better spring in mind. I only want to go down about an inch and am not planning on doing this until I get a new rearend then I wil change the shocks and install the associated suspension pieces at the same time.

Lubbock has some pretty shitty streets and the actual nose of the car has scraped a little. You can't see it unless you get down and look under the nose, but still its there. I also have a bra on the front end most of the time but when I've taken it off to be cleaned and let it dry this has happened evidently. No abrasions on the bra itself

The air dam I don't worry about, haven't thought about cutting it down. Just bugs me that it happens though.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Launching!

I have problems with it but it's caused by the ground effects up front. I just have to be a little more careful.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine does it if I go in somewhere with a steep drive and don't pay attention. If it does it now without being lowered, than you'll really have to watch after you lower it. Mine's scraped in a few spots but like you said, it's not where it can be seen so I don't worry about it. I may have it sanded down and repainted at some point. But I feel like the cars are meant to be driven, and anyone that knows about driving anything, it's gonna get scratches. Just part of driving.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Turn it at angles or something different, so its not front end first. IDK what to tell you other than that. Im suprised you have such a problem not being lowered.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by obseSSed
It's a common problem. Sometimes it's not the nose of your car, but the flap under it that pulls and directs air into the radiator...

I leave it..bc you cant see it..so it's not really a big deal.
i agree
Old 01-26-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zymosis
Turn it at angles or something different, so its not front end first. IDK what to tell you other than that. Im suprised you have such a problem not being lowered.
It's the shitty streets of Lubbock. They don't know anything about drainage systems however the city raised our taxes a few years ago to improve this situation but nothing has ever really been done about it, that's what led to my motor being hydrolocked too. (the outcome of that was a lot better though, got a new LS6 crate motor courtesy of the insurance co.)

I take these streets very carefully, angle into driveways, out of parking lots, etc.. I drive pretty conservatively on the street and will have to do that even more so when I throw the springs on there.

Thanks folks!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Teching In

My nose was scraped from the dealer.I didn't notice it till I gave it it's first wash..The said it probably got scraped, coming off the truck.I told them the better SCRAPE me a little money back!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's about the only way I've been able to keep from scraping mine more on steeper turns. And some speed bumps require a ton of finessing, course I have had a couple that no matter how slow or what kind of angle I went at the car would bottom out on the tranny crossmember. Therefore, if I have to go on that street, I just park at the top and walk.Just one of the sacrifices you make with these cars and especially when they're lowered.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

The plastic piece is what scrapes for me, I have never actually had the 'nose' of the car scrape.
Same here.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

im air dam scrapes constantly. i do have a few decent scrapes on the underside of the chin, but i don't really care cause its not noticable and i know if i fix it it will happen again. i think mine are from tall curves in parking lots and louisiana roads (ive seen, but not drivin through in the T/A potholess up to 8in deep)
Old 01-27-2005, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

I scrape that bitch on everything, not my front end just the plastic piece. Noone can see it so it doesnt really matter too much to me.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, a few days after my never scraping that part of my car, I go and do it. I knew I should have knocked on wood first or something.

I was trying to park and the parking place went down, then flattened out, and i ended up rolling forward a bit, and scraping it on the huge *** 'stopper' they have at the front of the stalls. It was somewhat humorous because the meter maid guy writing tickets stopped and walked over to see what it was. And I must say the scraping impressed my hot female friend.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't scraped the nose of the car but the air deflector has seen it's share of asphalt. I always make sure I don't get to close to the curb when parking but 98% of the time I back in everywhere.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have a problem with scraping the underside or "chin" of the front end?