Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam questions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam questions?

Hi, I've done alot of searches on this forum. I've got a stock '99 c5 automatic, with 33,000 easy miles. I'm layed-off for the winter, with a very little bit of money, lots of time, and a garage. I've got the chance to buy, from a forum member, Thunder Racing's "old mans cam". I'm gravitating towards LPE's GT2-3. I may be able to put longtubes in at the same time, depending on money. I know I would need to upgrade the springs for the omc, and probably for the gt2-3. I don't want to tune, (nobody close, besides, can't afford it). As you can see, I don't intend tracking the car, (hence the stealth cam rather than something more aggresive). I'm more interested in working on the car than actually racing it. But, I still want the best bang for the buck! I'll probably be able to afford the headers, but, If not would the car, with either of the above cams run well, without headers, or tune? either or both? I do have a blackwing air intake! And, 3.15 rear gears. You guys's oppinions me alot to me. I've searched, and I can see alot of you are really hep to what's going on with these engines. Thanks in advance for your help!

Doug
Old 01-31-2005, 12:55 AM
Teching In

What? My questions to tough for ya?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's definately recommended to get headers to get the gains from a cam swap. It's not like it will run bad without them, its just that you'd leave a lot of power on the table. I'm not really familiar with the cams you mentioned but I would at the minimum get a mail order tune. You prob. won't be completely happy without one esp. since you have an A4.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are doing one or the other for now, do the headers first. Much easier installation and about 25 HP increase from headers and mid-section. I installed the QTP's and love the power increase.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Your easiest gains will be to put the headers on. I would do that first. Probably wont need a tune on such a small cam but it wouldnt hurt.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

I would go with a stall then headers and then cam.

Bill
Old 01-31-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't think he is interested in racing so no converter (however this is one of the best mods for an a4 if you are interested in racing)...you will gain more from the headers alone than with that cam without headers...but once you put the cam in after the headers your cam only gains will shoot up quite a bit...basically you'll get near double from that cam after headers...and the 25 extra hp from the headers themselves...
Old 01-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Alot of good advice above!!! I keep thinking about the cam, and I'm to the point where I think I've got to do it, and put it behind me, or move beyond that, if you know what I mean? I've done engine work in the past, (about 20 years ago), but unfortunately I was in close to a total booze blackout during most of the work I did. Engine's ran good though! ls1howto.com would seem to be the way to go as far as instruction concerning the cam install in my C5. I'm not even sure what headers I want to get. If money was no object, I'd probably buy the "Most powerful C5 headers on the planet", but I think I'll have to settle for supermaxx. At .573/.580 lift, except for upgrading the springs, do you think the rest of my valve train would be alright for awhile? Any thing you can happen to think about to advise me, I will really appreciate!
Old 01-31-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would recommend getting hardened pushrods to go with the cam also. The stock rockers and lifters will be fine.