Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Rims for a 2000 TA rear-end on a 90 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 06:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims for a 2000 TA rear-end on a 90 Z28

I'm going to be putting a 2000 TA rear-end into my wife's 90 Z28. I've been told this will push the tires out past the edge of the body. The car needs new tires anyway, so I was going to buy some new rims after the rear-end swap.

Assuming I stick with 16x8, what kind of offset should I look for to bring the rear tires back in to a stock (or near-stock) position? Sticking out a little is ok, but I've been told it'll be something like 1.5" and that doesn't appeal to us (if nothing else, it'll spray road-crap all down the side and back of the newly repainted car).
Old 02-01-2005, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by McGuireV10
I'm going to be putting a 2000 TA rear-end into my wife's 90 Z28. I've been told this will push the tires out past the edge of the body. The car needs new tires anyway, so I was going to buy some new rims after the rear-end swap.

Assuming I stick with 16x8, what kind of offset should I look for to bring the rear tires back in to a stock (or near-stock) position? Sticking out a little is ok, but I've been told it'll be something like 1.5" and that doesn't appeal to us (if nothing else, it'll spray road-crap all down the side and back of the newly repainted car).

I believe that the stock offset on the 4th gen Fbodys is 56mm. You will need a rim that fits a 4th gen Fbody to keep it from stick out too much. I would suggest getting a set of 17" Camaro SS Chrome 10-spokes(or any other 17" wheel you like better) and then get a pair of 2" adapters from www.fbodymotorsports.com or www.hawksthirdgenparts.com for the front. I have 35th Anniv. 10-spokes on my '92 RS and they look great. I don't have a picture at the moment, but once my sister gets back in town on friday, I'll try to go borrow her digital and take a couple pics.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

What he said...stock 93+ wheels fit fine. Buy some adapters and run them on the front, too.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks!

(Hey, Midland, TX... I was out there Halloween '02. A good friend of mine lives there -- gray Viper GTS -- and we were looking at buying a race track down near Pecos. You have some NIIIICE long roads out that way...)
Old 02-02-2005, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by McGuireV10
Thanks!

(Hey, Midland, TX... I was out there Halloween '02. A good friend of mine lives there -- gray Viper GTS -- and we were looking at buying a race track down near Pecos. You have some NIIIICE long roads out that way...)

I have seen 2 gray Vipers around town - 1 solid & 1 with stripes. Race track near Pecos, the only one a can think of out in that area is the Firestone Test track, but I don't know if they are still doing any testing there. Yeah, there are some nice long straight roads, but you can't test them out most of the time, because you'll run into depty sheriffs (or every now & then a DPS Trooper) with too much time on there hands.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Teching In

My friends' is the non-striped gray GTS.

Yup, it was the Firestone track. 9 miles worth of roadcourse, and the 9-mile loop was a lot of fun, too (165 MPH is the "magic point" at which a stock Viper would steer itself around that loop without input).

Unfortunately the track surface was rather loose, and big soft tires literally ripped it apart. Plus the little town of Pecos was looking for some rather extravagant concessions relative to their ability to deliver anything useful.

Fun trip though.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Dredging this up again. I happened to hear about some new, unused 99 Vette rims for cheap. If I read the "Does This Fit" sticky FAQ in this area of the board, those should fit just fine, right?

It says this for fronts: 17"x9.5" +50 to +56 mm no problems.

And of course, I have the 2000 TA rear, so does this note about the rears even apply to me?

18"x10.5" +50 to +53 mm.

I plan to run 275/40R17 up front and 285/35R18 in back. Any idea how much the rears will stick out, if at all?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:29 AM
Teching In

I am also interested since i have 99 rear end IN STOCK so to say.
I already put the rear brakes on the iroc.
I am thinking about the black motorsport z06 for the ta but if dont like it I could always swap a rear and buy a pair of adaptors. The iroc is black with 91-92 gfx and wing
Old 02-14-2005, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

I don't know much about how the corvette rims will fit, but I would think that they would just the same as they would on a 4th gen, if the 4th gen rearend is installed and 2" spacer are on the front. But like I said I don't know for sure. Also here are some pictures of the 10-spokes on my 3rd gen.

Last edited by murphy80; 02-14-2005 at 07:46 PM.