Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Running return line from regulator before fuel rails

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 03:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running return line from regulator before fuel rails

I'm at the stage of sick and tired of pouring $$ into the car and just want to get it running so I can feel a bit complete with my project.

I know its not the best method of fuel delivery but I dont wish to spend another $300-400 on changing fuel rails and fittings for a complete return fuel system, just yet will do later but Im tight *** right now.

Can I mount the an adjustable FPR up close to the engine and feed it into the stock fuel rails and have the return line going off the reg that way?

I know its better to get the fuel thru the rails and then into the reg but would this other way get me up and running?

That way later on down the track I can reuse my reg and just change rails and remount reg after rails. Just plumb up the regs outlet and just have inlet and return ports open.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Coal Mining Director

To save $ just leave the rails alone and put the regulator in the return line at the gas filter...cheap and simple....not quite as effective but it does ok.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like the Vette filter/reg setup?
Would this support a small cam only ls1, eg 220 cam?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Coal Mining Director

For a head/cam car you don't need anything other than the stock fuel system.

If you have to have an adjustable regulator (more than a head/cam car) you can mount a regulator in the return line just past your filter...not like a vette....look at your filter area and you will see a stock return line.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to run the fuel pressure regulator after the rails , or else it will not work , or you can do what onfire is saying .
Old 02-10-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So you can run a vetter filter/reg which reg is before the rails in this case and it will work or you have to run the reg after the rails (2 port IN/OUTLET) and it will work.

But a 3 port (IN/OUT/RETURN) reg before rails wont work even though its the same setup as the vette filter/reg without the filtering?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I do not see how the regulator could work correctly BEFORE the fuel rail.
If it regulated the fuel before it got to the rails, wouldn't it starve the engine?
Correct me if I am wrong, the idea of the regulator is to build up pressure in the fuel line, using the fuel pump, and not allowing it to go back to the tank.
Can someone explain how a regulator would work before the rails?
Old 02-11-2005, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont no how it works before but the 99+ LS1 cars in US and Aus all have the reg before the rails, vettes it is part of the filter and other LS1 cars its in the intank pump assembly, seems to be working fine for the 1/2 million ls1 cars going around.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think before or after it wouldnt make a difference in regards to starving as there will only be 58psi in the rails, set pressure.
But the difference I think would be with the fuel pump, with the reg before the rail, the pump might have to work harder and thats when the starvation issues may arise.

Any vette owners have fuel starve issues with stock setup and slightly worked engines?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is no issue with an aftermarket rear mounted fpr. Several people with f.i. have done it and it works fine. One difference is you are pressurizing the entire run of the fuel line to the prescribed level and the return line is short just a foot or so. But that is the factory design on the 99+. If you are supporting north of 600rwhp you should probably consider doing a full fuel system but to that point several have run a factory fuel rail with the pulse damper gutted and a quality aftermarket fpr. I use a rear mount Weldon at it works great. The only real concern i've seen is the length of the line for the boost reference port but it turned out to be a non-issue. My car is set to a f.p. of around 52lbs and sees 10lbs of boost. the rising rate works just fine.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No 600hp here, just a small 220 cam and LS6 intake.
Thats why I want to keep it cheap and simple.

Quick Reply: Running return line from regulator before fuel rails