Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

n2o in non other places

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation n2o in other places

i'm researching places that use n2o in uses other than racing.
i know hospitals use it and dental clinics use it where else???

Last edited by auto_gto; 02-15-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whipped cream cans...it's the propellant
Old 02-14-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nitrous oxide used in racing and medical use are two different things, for racing it contains some sulfur and such, and medical use you need to have authentication to buy i believe

just for reference here's some info i came across

The Future of Nitrous Oxide

Introduction
Nitrous oxide (N2O) is a colorless greenhouse gas that is produced both naturally – from a biological sources in soil and water – and by a variety of human activities including agriculture, industry and waste management. While nitrous oxide emissions are much lower than CO2 emissions, N2O is some 310 times more effective than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas, molecule for molecule and its increasing release into the atmosphere is of concern.

Biological Sources of Nitrous Oxide

Nitrous oxide concentrations in the atmosphere have increased by approximately 13 percent in the last two centuries. (From: EPA)
Nitrous oxide originates naturally as a result of bacterial action, which converts nitrate ions to nitrogen compounds that contain less oxygen. The bacteria use the oxygen gained in this process to burn carbon which provides the energy for reproduction and maintenance. The stripping of oxygen from nitrate is called “denitrification.” Human agricultural activities, such as application of fertilizers and livestock manure on croplands and pasture, directly add to the amount of nitrogen available to be converted to N2O by bacterial action.

River runoff rich in nitrate from agriculture indirectly leads to the expansion of oxygen-poor environments in many places, such as the Gulf of Mexico, as it leads to fertilization of near-shore surface waters. This fertilizer helps increase coastal production of microscopic algae, which in turn leads to increased settling of organic matter. This organic matter decays, (that is, bacterial oxidizes it), and this uses up oxygen dissolved in the water. When this oxygen becomes less plentiful, bacteria switch to nitrate to oxidize the organic matter. The partial stripping of oxygen from nitrate produces nitrous oxide.

Other Sources

1998 sources of N2O. The use of nitrogen fertilizer in agricultural soil management is by for the most significant anthropogenic source of N2O. (From: EPA)
Other sources of N2O include fuel combustion, industrial production of acids that contain nitrogen, burning of agricultural residue, waste combustion, and human sewage in wastewater treatment systems. All sources of nitrous oxide emissions are increasing, with the exception of adipic acid production. There is no reason to think that sources of nitrogen will decrease in the near future. It fact, it may be anticipated that warming of surface waters in a global warming scenario (which decreases the amount of oxygen that can be held in solution) combined with continued nitrogen fertilization will lead to a steady increase the flux of nitrous oxide to the atmosphere from biological sources.

© 2002 All Rights Reserved - University of California, San Diego

link to site
Old 02-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt guys please help
guys i really need this info because:
i told a guy n2o is everywhere and its not just for racing and that i could bring it from other places
so he claimed i was lying in a big crowd and said he would get me a pair of heads (what i talk about all the time) of my choice if i fill a 5lb bottle with pure n20 In front of him from another source
i'm thinking of getting the $2k AFRs
Old 02-16-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know that n20 was orignally used by the Germans in their fighter planes and when the war was over the soldiers brought the idea back of using it in cars!
Old 02-16-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by auto_gto
ttt guys please help
guys i really need this info because:
i told a guy n2o is everywhere and its not just for racing and that i could bring it from other places
so he claimed i was lying in a big crowd and said he would get me a pair of heads (what i talk about all the time) of my choice if i fill a 5lb bottle with pure n20 In front of him from another source
i'm thinking of getting the $2k AFRs
It's not a naturally occuring substance (not in pure quantities anyway), so I guess you shouldn't have said anything. Better keep saving the $
Sorry.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white2001s10
It's not a naturally occuring substance (not in pure quantities anyway), so I guess you shouldn't have said anything. Better keep saving the $
Sorry.
I dont think the question is wether or not it is naturally occuring. I bet if you went to a industrial gas supply they could fill it for you. It is used in whipped cream, medical, NASA, (maybe welding certain types of welding.).
Old 02-16-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97LT1
I dont think the question is wether or not it is naturally occuring. I bet if you went to a industrial gas supply they could fill it for you. It is used in whipped cream, medical, NASA, (maybe welding certain types of welding.).
Yes, CK-welding shop has it on hand. Dermatologists also use it.
I don't think that was exactly how he stated the question, but I'm not a mind reader either.
There's never been any question about if you could get a bottle filled at different locations where they have compressed gases. Of course you can.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

You should not be able to get medical nitrous unless you have a license or (you know some one).
Ricky
Old 02-16-2005, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

i was watching a show on speed channel (two guys garage or some show like that) and they were saying people are starting to use nitrous to air up there tires. the tire stays inflated longer or something, not sure why.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Launching!

go to a PAINTBALL shop, thats where i get my fills

i want 1 of the heads!
Old 02-17-2005, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

i was watching a show on speed channel (two guys garage or some show like that) and they were saying people are starting to use nitrous to air up there tires. the tire stays inflated longer or something, not sure why.
Nitrogen, not nitrous. Don't know if it makes them last longer, but the pressure won't go up as much when the tires heat up, like tires with air. I think dragsters have nitrogen-filled slicks, don't they? So the tire pressure stays more constant.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nitrogen keeps the pressure in the tires constant, it wont be affected by temperature, i guess you would get more even wear out of your tires since they wont inflate more then the psi you want them at.