Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Firehawk Kill

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firehawk Kill

Hey guys, I have 2002 arctic white Z-28, with a lid (don't really think clear lid makes more power than solid color or carbon fiber- I only say this because of what I will explain later) and a cutout.

Okay: I'm coming back from the gym tonite, and I am just cruising back, nonchalantly, and as I get off to the feeder, I spot the all-too familiar lights of a trans-am. No, I don't have ESP, so I didn't know what exactly it was, but I just got that feeling you get when you have a chill run down your neck. So I pull in behind him as we try to make our way through traffic, because I think to myself, I don't get a chance to race anymore, so I'm not letting this guy get away. See, I live in Texas (the truck state), AND I have a girlfriend who has racing issues (her dad races pro stock, and she's there helping out every time they go to the track with their 1100 hp beretta, but is scared of my small 320 or so hp). As I get beside him, he gives me a little smirk, so I take it as isf he's interested in a race. So I ask where he and his buddy in the passenger seat are headed, and they tell me that they're just cruising around. I tell the driver to meet me after we clear the city (I live in a small town with about 9 lights) in the 65 mph zone. So we drive pretty much side by side til we get there. We take off out of the light casually, and keep travelling at 50 mph. Now, the whole time I am beside the guy, I'm waiting for him to take off. I like to let the other guy go first, so as to give me a good idea of where I stand. So he starts slowing down, almost as if he wants to go from a stop, with traffic coming up fast behind us. I slow down to about 40/45, and then go back up to 50, and that's when he sees the traffic and starts to speed back up too. Then he guns it, and he jumps out about 3/4 car length ahead of me. By 60, I know his *** is mine. By 70, I'm even with his bumper; by 90, I'm ahead by 1/2 length. By the time I slow down, which is 100-110, I am already 1-2 car lengths ahead. Anyway, I go to turn left, and signal to them to follow. They start to, but I guess they didn't want to try again, so they went home.

So my question is: is my car a freak, or is this normal? I mean, a Firehawk comes stock with practically what I have. All I could tell from his car, was that it was loud (louder than my cutout), had a different exhaust with bigger tailpipes, and I think it was an A4. But I am ecstatic. Any comments?
Old 02-18-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

if your car is an m6 that is a big reason why u pulled away at the end. It sounds as if both of you were pretty much stock. If the car was a trans am it is a couple hundred pounds heavier than your car so that plays some role. Anyway good kill and put some mods on that car already. :-)
Old 02-18-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silverbeast
if your car is an m6 that is a big reason why u pulled away at the end. It sounds as if both of you were pretty much stock. If the car was a trans am it is a couple hundred pounds heavier than your car so that plays some role. Anyway good kill and put some mods on that car already. :-)
That pretty much sounds right...except I don't think the weight difference is a couple hundred pounds though. I'm sure someone else will know for sure what the weight difference is between a Z28 and a TA.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Teching In

I have an A4. And even though he gunned it first, he had a great jump.

Future plans: Full suspension, long tubes, Z06 cam, true dual exhaust.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

susp can wait, get the exhaust then the cam....nice kill...
Old 02-20-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

z-28,ss are lighter than a trans am. It could have been a 98 or 99 firehawk. nice kill
Old 02-20-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice kill...
Old 02-20-2005, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

I have a 2002 SS and a 2002 firehawk, both are 6spd. I have weighed both cars, on the same scale,same day and they were within 20 pounds of each other. 3480lbs
Old 02-20-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

thats weird mine weighes 3570lbs