Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Formula vs Turbo Regal

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Formula vs Turbo Regal

Tonight after me and Chrissy went out to eat we decided to take a trip down the Blvd to get back to her crib to watch a movie. Well i'm crusing down in the right lane at 40 or so when i see this older boxy looking car come up next to me and start pacing me. So i look over and what do i see but one buzzin half dozen, fats and skinnies and all, younger guy with his GF in the passenger seat jumping at me. Finally I get a damn race.

So i drop it down a couple gears to get her into second at around 40, just a little shy of where i should be but oh well, we both kind of jump then we both take off. Needless to say i was super suprised when i pulled a couple of cars on him from 2nd through 3rd. So we shut it down as we came to a redlight. I hear him start to boost at the light as he stalls up and all I can think and say is "Oh **** he's gonna boost launch on me. I'm about to get walked." I bring up the RPM to around 2500 and wait for the green. As the green light drops, we both take off. He immediately pulled a half car on me as we both spun through first gear (cold pavement + dry rotting 245's = crap). I bang second gear and spin through half of that as he puts another couple cars on me as he caught traction, and he shut it down about three cars ahead. I couldnt catch up even when I caught. The same story repeated from a couple of other lights, as well as me coming out on top from a couple more rolling runs. After the first couple of lights we hit we stopped at another and he told me that he was running 14psi and we both shoot the **** for a second or two before we take off. Now it was a 1st gear roll on, I spun bad through first and most of second and he put another few cars on me and even when i caught i wasnt gaining through third gear.

He said that the previous owner ran a 11.9 with the car, which may have been on a much higher boost level with some alky, but i KNOW that wasnt a 11 second car i raced tonight. I can see mid 12's with some traction, but I dunno about 11's. At least not how it was running tonight. I was very surprised that i pulled a couple of cars on him from a 2nd gear roll where we both had traction, but on how hard he pulled me from a stop. Even when i caught traction when we raced from a 1st or 2nd gear dig i never even started gaining on him.

Needless to say, it was an awesome night for me. After a long dry spell i finally got a race with one of my favorite all time cars.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good runs man, withthe Gn's, it depends on the tranns and converter. With My gn, which ran 10's and now being built with a Q76 turbo and stage 2 block to run 9's, it would slip with all the power, due to not having a locked up converter. These cars are meant to raced from a dig so they can really get in to there power band and stay there. From a roll, they have to waite for the turbo to catch up and they arnt what you would call the most drag coefficient cars, they are bricks you know. If they run 1st 2nd gear and break boost as they are rolling, which is hard sometimes then they run a tad better frm a roll. Good runs though
Old 02-19-2005, 01:32 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo Buicks rock. Nice runs.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's very easy to get those cars in the 12's. I highly doubt high 11's on only 14lbs though.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

my buddie had a gn with a stock turbo, stock ported heads,better down pipe, and could run 11,s
Old 02-19-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much boost was he running?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

he was running 15 psi, it has been about 5 years ago but think he also had swome type of boost controller and higher ratio rockers, intercooler from applied technolegies, he got the heads from dave popee,he had the fastest gn with steel heads in the country, he is good friends with mark jackson who makes intercoolers,now daves car runs 9secs with a 4.2 internals from a indy car,with a stock ecm
Old 02-20-2005, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

i just talked with my buddy he was running 27 psi
Old 02-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Teching In

i raced one for the first time saturday, went from a 35 roll.....just got 3.73's so no more low end lag......anyway i did the 3 honk and were off.....he said with me for about one sec then i started pulling......went to 70 and pulled 2 cars had to hit the brakes, to much traffic

99 nbm formula a4
12.6@110
Old 02-22-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

hmm...i see youre in Norfolk....as am i... have i seen you before? ever go to hampton on Saturday nights?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:52 AM
Launching!

Nope, I stay on the southside. Alot of us have been meeting up at SMS on saturday nights for the past couple of weeks. You should try coming out there. Street Motorsports, 9 PM, Saturday night.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

yea, i went the one sat night. but there wasnt many fbodies...i came with a few..and there was only 2 or 3 others...mainly stangs and lightnings. ive been up there a few other times to see about getting some work done, but they dont do much work on fbodies... and i dont know if i wanna be the first.

last sat night i saw 2 guys that said they go up there on 64. a hugger Z and a black firebird with a big *** dent in the rear driver quarter. both thought i had a
firebird til they tried to run me

i might head up there this sat night, since they meet up kinda early and we dont usually head out to hampton until later on. maybe ill see you there. i drive a pewter formula. pic in sig
Old 02-23-2005, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

i'll be heading up to norfolk pretty soon i was stationed there from '98 to '02 back then i had a '94 formula it was quick i smoked some imports and domestics now and then i was undefeated till i raced a red supra, it had to have a nice turbo set up, 'cause he pulled on me like there was no tomorrow, and to top it of i had a chick with me and i used the "my tires didn't grab" excuse on her, knowing damn well i got smoked, but know i have a '02 stripper m6 z28 no major mods but i an looking forward to going back since i just left pascagoula m.s.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Launching!

If its the same supra I'm thinking of, It's a guy's named Wells. IIRC, it had like 600whp before he sold it.

And yeah, SMS is a mainly stang place for right now, but they do work on just about anything. And Don the owner is ALWAYS out there and he's real cool to talk to. Dont segragate(sp?) yourself just because they drive fords or imports, everyone is real cool and we're all car enthusiasts out there. Oh yeah, SMS is getting their dyno back and a drive on lift installed on the 1st of march, so if you need SFC's, or a dyno, they're the place to go. I believe dyno is usually 65 for 3 pulls with wideband A/F, and SFC install is 140 or so.

If i'm there when you pull up, i'll come see you. I'm usually not by my car for long once i get there.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

yea, the only thing i dont like about them is they dont know much about fbodies...ive talked to Don a few times now, and im still thinking about taking my car to them. but they didnt even understand about the relocation brackets for the lcas i had to go under the car and show someone. but they seem like a standup place. im not too sure about getting stuff from them tho, since theyre not in with many vendors and i can most likely get a better deal. and 140 seems a lil much to weld some sfc's on to me...
Old 02-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Yeah, Don is definitely a cool guy. They will definitely take care of you there. There's really not too many shops in the area that do work on F bodys that I know of. I do know MAS has done a few nice F body's in the past, so they can also take care of you.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

what MAS?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Good kill and deaths
Old 02-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Mid-atlantic Auto Sports. MAS Racing, its on haygood in VA beach about a half mile from independence.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

ill have to check them out, maybe this weekend sometime