Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Who had a stall/2.73s & changed gears?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 09:28 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who had a stall/2.73s & changed gears?

Been running ST3500 TC and 2.73 gears a lotta miles now.
All though I can literally burn the tires up from a stop or very slow roll, I would like a little quicker throttle response w/o dropping to a lower gear. Prob is I drive long distance to work, would like to maintain some kind of reasonable gas mileage.
Wondering about going to either 3.23s or 3.42s (will keep stock 2 series carrier).
Would like to hear from others running similar setups as mine that have changed gear ratios.
Car is a daily driver, not a weekend strip machine.
I'm wondering if I change the gear ratio will it just make me want a higher stall, LOL. How 'bout it, folks?
Old 02-25-2005, 12:34 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I'll let you know in less than 48 hours. I was on stock stall for 50k miles, then switched to a built tranny with a 3200 stall and have been there for almost another 50k, all on the 2.73 gears. Swapping in a 3.42 rear this weekend so I'll let you know the before and after differences. While I dont daily drive the car anymore it has 113k on it and it was a daily driver for 109k of that, so I know basically what you're talking about. Stay tuned...
Old 02-25-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll like the stall even more with the other gears. It will tighten it up, yet still fry the tires when you drop the pedal. Mine was probably a bit looser than yours but I like it a lot more with the 3.73's.

I would make one suggestion.....before you shell out the money for gears and install you might want to look for a used 3.23 or 3.42 rear. Most of the time it's cheaper to get a complete rear then to get the gears+install kit+install. You also have the option of selling your rear or keep it as a spare.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:37 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Thanks for the replies! josh99ta let me know what you see as far as performance, gas mileage, etc. jay_99z that sounds like a good option.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:52 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Is there much availability of 3.42s (M6) stock setups that have 3 .channel ABS? I would like to keep the stock 3 channel ABS to keep the cost down.
After all these years of working on my cars, the diffy is still a strange animal to me, LOL.
Thanks, Gerald
Old 02-26-2005, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gwj
Is there much availability of 3.42s (M6) stock setups that have 3 .channel ABS? I would like to keep the stock 3 channel ABS to keep the cost down.
After all these years of working on my cars, the diffy is still a strange animal to me, LOL.
Thanks, Gerald
Yep, you can find both. I've probably seen the same number of each.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:08 AM

You see tons of 3 channel ABS rears out there. Just look for someone who had an M6 with low mileage that didn't have TCS/ASR and you're good to go. That is the route I took, bought a buddy's 3.42 rear with low mileage for $250, and bought a TA cover and stud kit from Thunder, friends helped me do the work, and came out at $450 total for the swap. If I would have bought new gears, install kit, TA cover and stud kit, and then had all of that installed (as that is above my head), I'd have been looking at $700+. Here is a copy and paste I made on our local board about the performance of the 2.73 to 3.42 swap, gas mileage wont be denoted in this as I dont drive the car that much so I dont keep up with it.

INSTALL SUMMARY:
So now for the summary. The install went fairly smoothly I felt. We had a few things that hung us up for a few minutes but nothing major I didn't feel. Took longer than expected but when you're doing car stuff, thats always how it is.

We swapped in Ron's rear so I'm going from 2.73s to 3.42s, and we also used HPTuners to make sure all my shifts were at 6000 RPMs (1-2 was fine, 2-3 was low though), check my timing (which oddly enough looked fine, but we didn't log any WOT runs, but the programming looked fine), and delete torque management we think (we left the Abuse Mode enabled but reduced the speed to 0 MPH, so we dont know if it's really out of there or not).

We also tried to correct the speedo but those changes didn't take and Paul's laptop went dead before we could correct them so I'll be getting back with Paul sometime to get that corrected as well as verify that we have taken torque management out of the loop. Now for how the car runs...

PERFORMANCE SUMMARY:
The car used to have peaks and dips in its power band. Before the converter, the car would be dead up until about 4000 RPMs, and then come alive. After the converter, the car would pull good up until 5000 RPMs, then it would kind of level off. The car has always fell on its face during shifts and after the shift, the car takes a second to recover.

At Paul's I had someone riding with me every test run I took, but the car felt faster with two people in the car than it previously did with just me in the car, so that was good. First gear is practically useless now, or at least it was in the cold air last night.

The real test was the drive home, with only me in the car. I never got a good pull through first gear even rolling into it, because as soon as I went WOT the tires would spin and the car would short shift into second. So that was a sign of more grunt the car had. Second gear and the shift into third, and the continued pull after that is where I can really tell. There are no peaks or dips anymore. The car pulls good and hard from the time I hit the pedal to the time I let out. It pulls all the way to redline and as soon as it shifts its back to pulling again, no falling on its face anymore.

Its such a blast to drive now, very happy I went with the gear swap. The butt dyno knows I didn't pick up any actual HP, but the car feels like its got 25 more horses pulling it at least. Comparing the before/after feeling to that of the lid or catback when they got put on (roughly 10 RWHP each), and the gears are still more of an improvement than those two mods were even together.

Hoping for 0.2-0.3 improvement at the track and I'll definitely need those BFGs that I've got now. Cant wait for April 30, and I might not. Might have to make a run up to BG before then. Again, a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who helped out or dropped by. Next up, headers and an intake.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:09 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-27-2005, 06:04 PM

Drove the car some more today. I think there may be an APB out for me in Gallatin, TN. I'm REALLY liking these gears. They really woke the car up. Where it used to feel sluggish here and there, and I'd have my sweet spots, now the car pulls much more even across the board and just feels alive and ready to move. Definitely the best mod I've done to date (moreso than the converter IMO, but I went with a smaller stall).