Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help me pick a detail set-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me pick a detail set-up

I have a 2001 trans am. I want opinions on a detail set up, wax, polish, sealant for my black paint. I do this by hand and will continue to do so probably for another year (funds not available for a PC). I've used NXT, zymol, and other off the shelf and seem to have decent results. My problem is finding something that lasts. I'm finding myself doing a serious detail once a month. I prefer off the shelf items for now mainly for being on a budget. I'm not intersted in Zaino so none of that please.

Should I stick with the NXT? I was thinking of using the color x and the nxt as a sealant. I saw mothers has some new items and heard good things about those. Again, I want a budget minded list of wax, polish, sealant to use. Currently I clay 1-2 a year and always wash with nxt wash. I use microfiber towels from walmart to buff. I've had good results from these towels regardless of the cost. Give me some opionions, i am interested in trying to new mothers if the durability is better than the NXT.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

If you're intent on sticking with stuff you can buy locally, NXT and a detailer spray are a good choice. Also, you can usually find 3M products locally, and they are supposed to be excellent, though I don't have any personal experience with them.

If you go online, you can get products like Klasse All-in-One or Zaino. Zaino is best applied by hand, which sounds like what you're after, and it's very durable. I haven't tried Klasse yet, but everyone I've talked to that uses it loves it. It's on my "must try" list.

Bear in mind you will get better results with a PC, but you can still get good results by hand. Just keep in mind it will take much longer and you are likely to have sore arms and shoulders when you're done.

-Mike
Old 02-28-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the reply. I love doing it by hand, time isn't a problem. I guess I'm mainly interested in finding out if there is a more durable wax than NXT and I want a true polish. I've hear Color X works great but I'm tired of spending money trying things out. I was hoping for opinions and suggestions like you gave. I understand my car is high maintenance anyways, its black. I just wanted something that may cut down the time I would have to completely re-detail everything. I get about a month of durability from the NXT. I was hoping a bit longer.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

Also if i use Color X, and NXT, should I treat the NXT as a sealant and use another wax before using it? I want ultimate protection. I've also heard great things about Klasse and probably will buy that and try to find a good sealant/wax.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I wasn't all that impressed with ColorX when I used it, but by then I was already using Menzerna Itensive and Final Polishes with the PC, so it's hard to compare. NXT has some cleaning properties to it, so it doesn't layer well. So, if you put down another wax, then try putting NXT on top, the NXT will take away some of the other wax, defeating the purpose.

Klasse AIO is billed as a polish and a sealant in one (hence the name). I haven't tried it myself, but I've never met a polish that does as good a job sealing as a true wax or sealant. 6][9 (frequent poster on this board) swears by Klasse, so he can probably shed more light on the subject, but for best protection, I would follow it up with a true sealant like Blackfire, Zaino, Menzerna Acrylic Shield or Klasse High-Gloss Sealant.

Personally, I like to use a detailing spray after each wash, to help keep the shine and protection. I can personally vouch for Blackfire and Zaino, but the other products should be excellent as well.

-Mike
Old 02-28-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

What do you think of Blackfire on Black paint? The one thing I love about the nxt is the way it looked on black. Is there any good off the shelf polish? I think I am ordering the Klasse AOI and then I will start searching for a good sealant. Will I need anything else? Pure Caranuba on top of the sealant or just the sealant itself? Bare with me, I'm the off the shelf guy who is learning his options. I actually read some opions on the AIO and NXT being a great combo, wonder if this is up my alley with me liking the nxt for black paint.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=finally

That's my car with Blackfire Sealant. NBM and black are very similar in their propensity to show scratches and swirls.

I haven't used any off the shelf polishes except ColorX, which I already stated my opinions on. There are probably some good ones, but I couldn't tell you what they are.

Some applicator pads and some detailing spray. Trick: spray detailing spray on the applicator pad before putting the wax/sealant on. It will help keep the material on the car and out of the pad.

You can do pure carnuba on top. Try it and see if you like it. I did it for a while, but the results didn't justify the extra effort.

I'm not knocking NXT at all. I really love the way it looks, but i just doesn't have the longevity of other products I've used.

-Mike
Old 02-28-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

How much did the blackfire cost you? I'm thinking i'm sold on the AIO. Can I use this for a good polish? I like your result with the Blackfire. Ease of application?
Old 02-28-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Shop around a little, but www.properautocare.com has Blackfire for $25 per bottle. That seems high, but it lasts a long time and doesn't take much per application. If you want, you can start with the Klasse for a polish and continue using NXT, or you can go all-out and get both now.

Whatever you do, try to take some before and after shots.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Help me pick a detail set-up