Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it dumb to run 150 shot without checkin your air fuel ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it dumb to run 150 shot without checkin your air fuel ratio?

would it be stupid to run nitrous without getting your air/fuel checked out at a dyno place? was wondering if its common to get it checked or just a safety precation.
also how much does is it normaly cost to get your air fuel checked out.
also i put in some ngk- tr6
2001 camaro z28
Old 02-28-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of us can get away without a dyno. Work your way up with hp and use data logger, check plugs, KR, watch fuel press and stuff like that. But, if your not schooled in knowledge then taking it to a dyno would be a good idea, imo.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

If you follow the manufacturers guidelines that are included with your kit, you should be fine. If your current fuel system is up to par, and there aren't any current problems you should be good to go.... Just make sure to read the plugs... That will be your tell tale sign......

If you really want to get fancy, you could invest in a wideband o2 sensor like the Innovate LM1, or the Dynojet Wideband Commander. You can really tune the heck out of a nitrous system with one of those, but they're a little pricey....
Old 03-01-2005, 12:07 AM
FormerVendor

i would not do it w/ out an a/f reading...by the time you check your plugs etc....it could be too late

I'd say do it with a 100 shot...but 150 is running your poor little stock fuel pump over 100% duty cycle

find a shop with a motech or dyno and get an a/f reading
Old 03-01-2005, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Instead of spending hundreds on dyno tuning, I bought the http://www.zeitronix.com wideband 02 setup and plan to tune the A/F on the street.

If you already have a laptop, you can spend as little as $279 for the basic setup, which is what you'll spend on a day at the dyno "fine tuning" your setup.

Plus it has nice features such as egt input, TPS input, boost input, and has tons of datalogging capabilities.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:22 AM
TECH Junkie

I have just an autometter gauge on my factory narrow band 02 and when I was having problems with my dry shot I could see the gauge come from the green light then dip into the red. I would tune with it but at one tenth the cost of a wide band It was worth every penny. And it helped save my motor.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:47 AM
Staging Lane

i just noticed i double posted this question in this forum sorry about that
Old 03-01-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Spraying without checking the A/F on the dyno is like gambling. Sometimes you come out ahead, but sometimes your get burnt. Even by following the manufacturers guidelines, there is always a risk. Every engine is different. Going to the dyno is cheap insurance. Do you really want to risk having to rebuilt your motor. Also without the A/F graph you will never know if you are getting the most from your system. Have fun spraying.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have installed alot of systems.We have also not had the means of a dyno back in the day.If you go over the 100 shot and do not plan on putting a fuel pump in it I suggest logging air fuel.I have seen some of the cars be fine with the stock fuel pump and the next not.Also keep in mind if you have made changes to your set up the air fuel may not be right on motor.If your car is stock and you have a fuel pump it should be fine.However if you have the money I would attend a dyno day or something and see what you really have.
Dave