On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into Full exhaust and cam

Here is my plan...

-Pacesetters LT's
-ORY
Then get it tuned.
-LS1 Hot cam/cam package
My first question is do I need to get it tuned again once I put this cam in? I do have a laptop so i could just adjust the air/fuel if I find someone with the software. I have read that this cam does not ned tuning.

My second question is am I ok with stock converter? I am not after 1/4 mile times, just a fun car to drive around. The power from this set-up is my goal, nothing crazy ( I have heard and seen anywhere from 350 or more to the wheels). It's a 98 with 60k, but healthy.
Thanks guys...
TJ
Old 03-02-2005, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste your $$$ on a tune if your putting in a cam in the near future. I installed the headers on my old car in April, did the converter in like June, and then the cam package end of July. I had it tuned once for everything and I didn't have any problems before with the stock tune other than torque management. I would get at least a 3000ish stall.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:18 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would get a stall first if i was you, you would have alot of fun with that.

headers/ory wont need a tune. i would get those, and a stall, and then a cam, and THEN have it tuned, or find a place that does lifetime tunes like where i'm going. G-force motorsports in houston
Old 03-02-2005, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

So you guys say go with full exhaust and a converter... then a cam?

I was also told several times that with full exhaust, it is very necessary for a tune.

So with full exhaust and a converter I do not need a tune? This is suprising to me!
TJ
Old 03-02-2005, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

I was also going to go with a 3400 or so, either TCI or Midwest.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If I were you.. I'd go with the loosest converter that you think you can deal with. 4000 if you can live with it. I'd then do the cam and headers at the same time. Alot of shops will do for life tuning. I for one deal with Eastside in CT, they do that, pay for a tune once, and that's it.

Converter... gears too will make a HUGE difference... and will compliment the added power later. I'd do the headers before the cam too.. the cam will need the extra exhaust flow.

Also.. think about doing a couple chassis mods ( sfc's, control arms, that kind of stuff. Makes the car feel alot better too.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DeViOuSoNe
Here is my plan...
-Pacesetters LT's
-ORY
Then get it tuned.
-LS1 Hot cam/cam package
My first question is do I need to get it tuned again once I put this cam in? I do have a laptop so i could just adjust the air/fuel if I find someone with the software. I have read that this cam does not ned tune. The power from this set-up is my goal, nothing crazy ( I have heard and seen anywhere from 350 or more to the wheels). It's a 98 with 60k, but healthy.
TJ
Wait until after the cam to get it tuned (as said). You only need a tune after LT's and ORY due to the lack of cats and if you get rid of the EGR system...these trip the SES light which is annoying until it's tuned out. As for the cam skip the hotcam and get something w/ a little more bump. There are TONS of cams to choose from and many are VERY tolerable as a daily driver. Just look at me...I run a 233/239 .603"/.600 112 LSA cam as a daily driver and it's fine for me. There are plenty cams in between a little hotcam and large cams like mine.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

r u a guy looking for a smile only ??? no 1/4 no dyno`s??? get rid of the hot cam from your mind , (advice)
Old 03-02-2005, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

I'll go to the track, maybe dyno but that is not why I am doing all of this. I just want something faster that I can enjoy on the street. So I could see full exhaust and a converter doing the trick... We will see, but any other options or different setups is greatly appreciated.
TJ

The only reason I thought of full exhaust and a cam is due to the fact that it would lay down some nice power which I can't see not being fun...