Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Grant steering wheel today

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 12:23 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,110 Likes on 728 Posts

Default Installed Grant steering wheel today

Was not too hard, it was handy having someone around who had done it before.

I went with a Grant steering wheel and the 3196 adaptor kit from them.

Took off the airbag first, 2 torx accessible from the back. I had the power off in the car.

Used a steering wheel puller kit and 2 10mm intake bolts to hold the puller from moving. Big bolt on the steering wheel broke loose really easy. Big bolt was 22mm.

Unplugged the wire from the steering wheel, and took it off.

Got a little tricky from here. Cut the two wires off that were sticking out from the steering wheel column. One of those one-way mods.

The steering wheel kit has a metal base that will sit recessed in the steering wheel. You might have to clearance some of the yellow plastic to get it to seat enuff.

Had to use spacers to keep the black bell (base of adaptor) from making contact with the column. Made a call, other folks have used spacers too. We used spacers under the base. I used 2 washers, some has used 3.

Got the 3 bolts on, 7/16. I did not crank the crap out of those bolts.

Put the 22mm factory nut back on to secure the base.

Steering wheel center came, held on with 5 hex nuts.

Put the wheel on, put the 5 hex nuts in to attach it.

Done.

I did not use the horn stuff.

Looks nice.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:43 AM
I can shift faster than you.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pics?? This is next on my mod list.

Jason
Old 03-06-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A removable hub would have been a nice addition.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah I'd like to see some pics too. I have to pull my bags and I was thinking about doing the grant wheel and adapter.

BTW: Would have the horn hook up been easy to do? The only thing they check at inspection time is my lights and horn.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did the same thing on my 98SS. Grant also. I used the quick release. Almost the same write up except my 98 had 4 bolts holding the air bad in - just a "mirror" to see the size of the bolt. The Grant quick release fit right on. Good tight fit. With the new race seat being non-moveable, I figured I may need to remove the steering wheel to get my fat *** in there .

From Summitracing.com

Grt-3021 - quick release hub
Grt-3196 - wheel install (didn't use or need it with the quick release)
Grt-773 - GT Steering wheel.

Fits great. Lost a lot of weight by just getting rid of the air bag.

David
Old 03-06-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Does anyone have pics yet!?!
Old 03-06-2005, 12:09 PM
9 Second Club

not on the car yet, but pretty soon it will be. mine also has a quick release hub too.

later,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Installed Grant steering wheel today-hpim1030smaller.jpg   Installed Grant steering wheel today-hpim1028smaller1.jpg  
Old 03-06-2005, 12:37 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Took off the airbag first,
If your new Grant wheel does not have an air bag, your LS1 car is probably illegal in all 50 states. Plus, it greatly decreases driver safety and your insurance company would either drop or increase coverage. As always, this is JMHO, having been there and done that.

PS - Don't shoot the messenger. Have a nice day.

Last edited by bickelfirebird; 03-06-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Banned

bickel, how many insurance companies do you know of that require you to bring the vehicle up there for inspection whenever you renew your policy? and how many do you know of that wouldn't cancle coverage upon finding out he was drag racing it anyways?
Old 03-06-2005, 02:02 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

If he got a ticket for no air bag or if he races at the track, his insurance may findout. Also, if some cop is in the revenue collection mood, he could issue psj a ticket for removing the bag. IMHO, street cars like ours need their air bags.

As some Roman once said, don't shoot the messenger.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

Bickel has a point but that subject could be argued to death and I don't think a ticket like that would ever hold up in court. Many people still don't trust air bags and some even fear them. Hell most of the newer vehicles on the road you can shut off atleast the passanger side bag.

As for insurance, that's probrably going to depend on your agent and the adjuster (if you got in a wreck). If you get in a small fender bender there will probrably be no issues even if the adjuster throws up a flag because there are no air bags. However, if somebody got into a wreck in the car and was injured because there was no bag that would probrably be an issue. If you have 5 points I really don't see how an air bag would help you anyway.

I'm sure his car has no front impact bar, side impact bars or ABS, so dumping the bags isn't going to create any more of a problem.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:26 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Bickel has a point but that subject could be argued to death and I don't think a ticket like that would ever hold up in court. Many people still don't trust air bags and some even fear them. Hell most of the newer vehicles on the road you can shut off atleast the passanger side bag.

As for insurance, that's probrably going to depend on your agent and the adjuster (if you got in a wreck). If you get in a small fender bender there will probrably be no issues even if the adjuster throws up a flag because there are no air bags. However, if somebody got into a wreck in the car and was injured because there was no bag that would probrably be an issue. If you have 5 points I really don't see how an air bag would help you anyway.

I'm sure his car has no front impact bar, side impact bars or ABS, so dumping the bags isn't going to create any more of a problem.
I agree that modifying a car with a non-air bag wheel relates to the larger topic of trying to make a semi-race car out of a street car. I took a perfectly good '01 SS, added 900rwhp and made many mods, including a Grant wheel. The end result was I had a car that wasn't either a street car or race car, but something in between. It didn't make a good race car and it made a very bad street car, so I sold it and bought another SS that will remain a licensed street car with a functioning back seat and all stock safety features.

LS1s are street cars and should remain as such. Dismantling a LS1 street car in search of a few tenths of a second is a very poor investment, hampers resale and makes the car unsafe. If you can afford a second car, build a purpose built race car. JMHO, of course, which is what this site is all about.

The only time my current SS would run 10s is when FMS tests it. Otherwise, it will be a 11.50 second street car in Denver.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,110 Likes on 728 Posts

Hmmm, I didn't think you guys would want pics. Maybe later this week, I can take a pic of the puller on the old wheel too.

The only two parts of the swap that were not clear from other threads were:

-spacers under the base otherwise it would rub the column

-cut the 2 wires coming out the column, did you guys have to do that too?
Old 03-06-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
did you guys have to do that too?
Yes, I removed the wires altogether John. The whole job was quite simple. I installed the quick release hub too. I don't have swingouts so its MUCH easier for my big legs to clear the steering wheel if its not there.

Here is a pic of my Grant wheel. Its the only good picture I have.

Old 03-06-2005, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

What exactly were the two wires for? The air bag?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bickelfirebird
I agree that modifying a car with a non-air bag wheel relates to the larger topic of trying to make a semi-race car out of a street car. I took a perfectly good '01 SS, added 900rwhp and made many mods, including a Grant wheel. The end result was I had a car that wasn't either a street car or race car, but something in between. It didn't make a good race car and it made a very bad street car, so I sold it and bought another SS that will remain a licensed street car with a functioning back seat and all stock safety features.

LS1s are street cars and should remain as such. Dismantling a LS1 street car in search of a few tenths of a second is a very poor investment, hampers resale and makes the car unsafe. If you can afford a second car, build a purpose built race car. JMHO, of course, which is what this site is all about.

The only time my current SS would run 10s is when FMS tests it. Otherwise, it will be a 11.50 second street car in Denver.
well i think most of what i'm about to say is common sense, but here goes anyway. 99% of the 30,000 members can't live the dream you are. for those of us who absolutely must race, it comes down to modding our street cars. until the early 90's or so cars did just fine without air bags. for those of us that are removing them we aren't concerned much with what the ins. companies are going to say about it anyways. nor are we concerned with the resale value for that matter. it's all about doing what we can with what we can afford, and then some. and to say that "LS1s are street cars and should remain as such", is like telling a guy with a 50's-70's muscle car like a Camaro, Chevelle, Nova, etc. not to modify it to perform better in the 1/4 mile. it's a BIG waste of breath and time. we're addicted to this, and i would think that a good portion of us would rather have a street car that goes fast than a professional tube chassis car that's only enjoyable on weekends when you can find the time to do so. which as i said before, is not something 99% of us can't afford to do. JMHO too.

later,
Dave

Last edited by PRAY HRD; 03-06-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
well i think most of what i'm about to say is common sense, but here goes anyway. 99% of the 30,000 members can't live the dream you are. for those of us who absolutely must race, it comes down to modding our street cars. until the early 90's or so cars did just fine without air bags. for those of us that are removing them we aren't concerned much with what the ins. companies are going to say about it anyways. nor are we concerned with the resale value for that matter. it's all about doing what we can with what we can afford, and then some. and to say that "LS1s are street cars and should remain as such", is like telling a guy with a 50's-70's muscle car like a Camaro, Chevelle, Nova, etc. not to modify it to perform better in the 1/4 mile. it's a BIG waste of breath and time. we're addicted to this, and i would think that a good portion of us would rather have a street car that goes fast than a professional tube chassis car that's only enjoyable on weekends when you can find the time to do so. which as i said before, is not something 99% of us can't afford to do. JMHO too.

later,
Dave

All I can say to that is AMEN!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:26 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

It seems that I have drifted off into the impractical. Back to Grant steering wheels and stuff.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:01 PM
9 Second Club

here here.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Teching In

i agre with bickel becase street cars should not be made unsave by removing air bags and impact bars. i left my gen 1 completly stock for 30 years and its still very save and fast.

Quick Reply: Installed Grant steering wheel today