Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another lifter noise thread. little different though

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another lifter noise thread. little different though

Ok i did a search and im tired of hours of reading through threads and not seeing anything realated to my issues.

car is 99z. stock engine. minor bolt ons, converter, exhaust.

I raced the car on sunday and after the burnout it had a bad lifter tick. car still ran fine. ticked all the way home. Let the car sit for about 5 hours and started it up. tick was still there but then slowly went away.

The was fine all the way till last night. I stopped on a road to test out the car. launched and ran through the top of second....as i slowed down i could hear it start ticking again. Then all the way home it felt like it was running a "little" rough....not missing...just not idling perfectly smooth like it normally does. So i drove it home and parked the junk in the garage.

This morning start it up...tick tick tick...then goes away. now its fine.

I would like to hear if anyone else has ever experienced this and what you did to solve it. When it ticks it ticks pretty loud. Its nice that it goes away...but i like to race the car often and its getting embarrassing then when im done with a burnout, my car sounds like its broke. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a sticking lifter. I would change oils and run it for a while. I recently had issues with my DD where the oil pressure would fluxuate. It was thought to be the bypass was gummed up and would require disassembly. I switched over to German Castrol 0W-30 and after about 2K miles the problem went away and has not come back.

Inexpensive, not intrusive (no disassembly of motor) so it might be worth a shot to see if it helps.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Sounds like a sticking lifter. I would change oils and run it for a while. I recently had issues with my DD where the oil pressure would fluxuate. It was thought to be the bypass was gummed up and would require disassembly. I switched over to German Castrol 0W-30 and after about 2K miles the problem went away and has not come back.

Inexpensive, not intrusive (no disassembly of motor) so it might be worth a shot to see if it helps.
thanks for the help. first thing i was thinking was its probably a sticking lifter...but wanted to hear what others said first. where do i get that oil from? does pepboys or autozone have it? thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If ya been running it better check the push rods! Bent 5 on the same cylinder before I got tired of it and replaced the valve spring and it hasen't bent again.Mine is also a 99 A4. Fixen to swap them all when my new double spring crane tool gets here!
Old 03-09-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1s R US
If ya been running it better check the push rods! Bent 5 on the same cylinder before I got tired of it and replaced the valve spring and it hasen't bent again.Mine is also a 99 A4. Fixen to swap them all when my new double spring crane tool gets here!
from what ive heard from people, i suspected that too. but would a bent pushrod make the noise come and go? Car is back to dead silent as of last night....afraid to get on it because it will probably get noisy again. Im wondering if i should break down and just change the lifters. I would just **** me off if i pull the heads to change the damn things...and not put on a set of ported heads that i cant afford right now
Old 03-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

same thing happened to me. bent a push rod. ticking then no ticking.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We just had this happen on a friends car. We changed the cam and springs. The car ran fine fora while and then the ticking started. Not all the time but on and off. Went to speed to tune and it fell on its face. Turns out id was the start of a collapsed lifter. In the process of pulling the heads to change lifters. He will be putting on ported heads at the same time. No point in pulling the heads and putting the stock ones back on.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

just as an update...and to prove that i am a newbee (i made a post instead of just trying to figure it out on my own) it ended up being a loose rocker arm. Tightened her up and she's all good