Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Could the Billingsley Fabbed 9 be built for less?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Could the Billingsley Fabbed 9 be built for less?

I see on their site that the super light weight single digit capable internals are about $2100. Could I use a "regular" 9 inch center section and customer Moser axles and put one together for much less? I would never expect to see 9's.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Redlinez
I see on their site that the super light weight single digit capable internals are about $2100. Could I use a "regular" 9 inch center section and customer Moser axles and put one together for much less? I would never expect to see 9's.
Why not just use a Moser housing and Axles? thats what i plan on doing. I figure $1000 shipped for the Moser stuff and then all i have to do is bolt in a spare centersection. If the Billingsley setup was $1100 for the housing and axles then that would be a decent deal too.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their unit is not a Moser housing. It's a custom fabbed housing.

You could put one together for much less like you said however I still think you'd be quite a bit heavier.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure I exactly understand your question. As far as the housing goes, i wouldnt try to fab one one like jay's for the price hes askin. It's a good deal if you ask me. Rear end fab is time consuming and a PITA to jig up and get everything square. Also make sure the heat from welding doesnt pull the axle flanges out of square.

If your just want a street 9", I would get just a regular moser housing and their axles with a decent center section of your choice. This is one of those get what you pay for things.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

I bought the Billingsley Street 9" with the Moser housing and I would suspect his fabbed housing would be much more accurate dimensionally.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by promod1955
I'm not sure I exactly understand your question. As far as the housing goes, i wouldnt try to fab one one like jay's for the price hes askin. It's a good deal if you ask me. Rear end fab is time consuming and a PITA to jig up and get everything square. Also make sure the heat from welding doesnt pull the axle flanges out of square.

If your just want a street 9", I would get just a regular moser housing and their axles with a decent center section of your choice. This is one of those get what you pay for things.
I believe he is wanting to buy the housing, add axles then his own center section. I'm planning on buying a Moser housing then adding a used 31 spline centersection. You can find posi ones for $250ish. Thats only about $1250 for a 9 inch.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, what I would want is there fabbed housing and assemble it with parts less expensive. I was wondering what the next best way to go would be. I know it would require custom axles, just trying to figure out a lesser expensive alternative to center section, gears, etc.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Redlinez
Yea, what I would want is there fabbed housing and assemble it with parts less expensive. I was wondering what the next best way to go would be. I know it would require custom axles, just trying to figure out a lesser expensive alternative to center section, gears, etc.
Does anyone know does the bare Billingsley setup include axles? If not thats really high priced just for a housing. If you are wanting to build a cheap rear end the best bet is to get a Moser housing and axles for $950 + shipping. If not you buy the Billingsley for 1100 + 450 in axles then shipping. Then you still have to add a centersection.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

I've heard nothing but issues with Moser. If that doesn't include axles, then yes, that's a little expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Does anyone know does the bare Billingsley setup include axles? If not thats really high priced just for a housing. If you are wanting to build a cheap rear end the best bet is to get a Moser housing and axles for $950 + shipping. If not you buy the Billingsley for 1100 + 450 in axles then shipping. Then you still have to add a centersection.

Call Jay with any questions. He is extremly helpfull. When i got mine, he went out of his way to make sure i got what i needed. For a completely fabbed housing your crazy if you think its expensive. The rear end housing in our firebird drag car is $2000 just for the housing and to be honest, Jay's quality is the same. I have a feeling if you saw one of his housings, youll see what i mean. It makes a moser rear end look like balsa wood.

Just get a game plan for what you wanna do with the car. if its not gonna see a lot of hp, a moser one is fine but if you put a lot of hp in a heavy car and take it to the track, your housing will move on you.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by promod1955
Call Jay with any questions. He is extremly helpfull. When i got mine, he went out of his way to make sure i got what i needed. For a completely fabbed housing your crazy if you think its expensive. The rear end housing in our firebird drag car is $2000 just for the housing and to be honest, Jay's quality is the same. I have a feeling if you saw one of his housings, youll see what i mean. It makes a moser rear end look like balsa wood.

Just get a game plan for what you wanna do with the car. if its not gonna see a lot of hp, a moser one is fine but if you put a lot of hp in a heavy car and take it to the track, your housing will move on you.
I do know what i want in the car and a 31 spline 9 inch should handle it fine. I was wanting a moser housing but i've heard a few problems with them too. The biggest being that you need adj. LCA's and TQ arm because of poor quality. I don't need the strength of the billingsley just the supposed fit and quality.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Damn Dude, You still on the fence about this? LOL

Brad
Old 03-09-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, just don't want to spend money twice. It's hard enough getting this approved by you know who one day. Stay at home mom, two kids, mortgage, two car payments, etc. I didn't think that fabbed 9 housing was overpriced personally just from looking at it.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z95m6
I believe he is wanting to buy the housing, add axles then his own center section. I'm planning on buying a Moser housing then adding a used 31 spline centersection. You can find posi ones for $250ish. Thats only about $1250 for a 9 inch.
If I am understanding correctly I can just buy the moser bolt in housing and 31 spline axles and then just purchase any used 31 spline assembled center section like off ebay or something then just bolt the center section in, slide in the new axles and attach it all and it should work right? Am I missing something here? If this is the case then I am going to start dancing !

Thanks
CMC
Old 03-10-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hawkcmc
If I am understanding correctly I can just buy the moser bolt in housing and 31 spline axles and then just purchase any used 31 spline assembled center section like off ebay or something then just bolt the center section in, slide in the new axles and attach it all and it should work right? Am I missing something here? If this is the case then I am going to start dancing !

Thanks
CMC
Yep. I've talked to a few guys that have done it. All you need to do is buy a centersection off ebay or out of a salvage yard. Something like this would work perfectly.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Then just get a set of axles, housing and TQ arm from Moser for about $900-1000. That should be all you need. I'm a ford guy, hell i even have a 69 Mach 1 428cj. So i've messed with 9 inches before. They are simple yet strong. The nice thing about a centersection out of an old pick up is it should be quiet, unlike all the aftermarket units you buy.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Banned

Why the heck dont more guys do this then?

Thanks for the great info!
CMC
Old 03-10-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hawkcmc
Why the heck dont more guys do this then?

Thanks for the great info!
CMC
Probably because almost everyone on here is a chevy guy and they don't know 9 inches. This is only an option if you want 31 spline axles. 33 or 35's didn't come in ford cars. 31 spline stuff is still damn strong and probably good enough for a heads and cam car.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your axles will need to be machined for the reluctor rings so that the ABS/TCS functions.

Other than that, it's that simple.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Your axles will need to be machined for the reluctor rings so that the ABS/TCS functions.

Other than that, it's that simple.
Unless you have a 3 channel car. Then you have build your own reluctor ring.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:23 PM
Banned

Do we know what ring we should use for the pinion mount? I have been trying to figure out what ring to buy to set that up. We cant use the stock ring can we? Do you have to buy a torque arm? The stock one wont work ?

Thanks again guys,
CMC