Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on what kind of headers are best...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help on what kind of LT headers are best...

I'm a new comer to the ls1 v8 stuff. I have a 2000 ram air and I want to get LT headers and more... Just want to know yall opinion on what kind of headers to get or stay away from. Or what would be a good start. Not looking for a 9 sec car but close, want to kill s/c cobras. Thinking about going ture dual. Web sites will help too. Thanks

Last edited by 00badfnta; 03-12-2005 at 08:44 PM. Reason: missed something
Old 03-12-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

QTP, Kooks, stay away from SLP!! Get good heads/cam and some suspension mods with some drag radials. Is this a auto or m6? There is no "best" header, the gains determine the header/y pipe/catback combo, and that is purely preference.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blind527
QTP, Kooks, stay away from SLP!! Get good heads/cam and some suspension mods with some drag radials. Is this a auto or m6? There is no "best" header, the gains determine the header/y pipe/catback combo, and that is purely preference.

Of cure m6
Old 03-12-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

A lot of times it depends on your area you live. If you can get Long Tube headers and an off-road y pipe etc. Check out the sponsors for this site, and those are your links
Old 03-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00badfnta
I'm a new comer to the ls1 v8 stuff. I have a 2000 ram air and I want to get headers and more... Just want to know yall opinion on what kind of headers to get or stay away from. Or what would be a good start. Not looking for a 9 sec car but close, want to kill s/c cobras. Thinking about going ture dual. Web sites will help too. Thanks
I am going with flp long tubes and exchangable cats & off road pipes.The kit is on sale at thunderracing for $925 with shiping shure kooks & qtp are best out there but for this price you cant go wrong.They are the same as the dynatech set up but instead of staineles steel they are mild steel with ceramic coteing,which I prefer because of lower temp in engine.My friend bought this set up about 3 years ago and cost him $1300 he hasent had any problems with them
Old 03-12-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like all these guys said, pick a long tube but brand and price will dictate quality more than performance. SLP is the only inconsistency with that statement. And to hang with S/C cobras these days a well built/tuned H/C setup is necessary. Those damn things hit 400+ hp with boltons.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

FYI, stainless steel supposedly emits no more heat than a coated mild steel header.

If you want the best of the best, and are willing to pay, then Kooks, or QTP LT's are the way to go.--------->see sponsors list

Pacesetters,hookers,jet hot, flowtech, all have fitment issues somewhere. Whether that be hitting the k-member, or hittiing the floor pan.

Kooks, and QTP are known for quality and excellent fitment. I went with QTP's, though I have yet to install them . And they are stainless steel.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by txhorns281
And to hang with S/C cobras these days a well built/tuned H/C setup is necessary. Those damn things hit 400+ hp with boltons.
Ya because they are FI It would be cool to see a S/C LS1 roll out of GM.....
Old 03-13-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by psykoTA
FYI, stainless steel supposedly emits no more heat than a coated mild steel header.

If you want the best of the best, and are willing to pay, then Kooks, or QTP LT's are the way to go.--------->see sponsors list

Pacesetters,hookers,jet hot, flowtech, all have fitment issues somewhere. Whether that be hitting the k-member, or hittiing the floor pan.

Kooks, and QTP are known for quality and excellent fitment. I went with QTP's, though I have yet to install them . And they are stainless steel.

Thanks for the advise I guess LT QTP it is...
Old 03-13-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00badfnta
Thanks for the advise I guess LT QTP it is...

i went with QTP also. very easy to put in. no clearence issues at all. fyi, you will have to take off the oil filter and drain plug to get the drivers side to go in. other than that, they are a piece of cake to install.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

QTP or Kooks is definitely the way to go. I went with QTP because they were on sale at the time.