Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

White Letter Tire opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 11:34 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Letter Tire opinions

Just recently got my GSD3's, and am thinkin about makin them white letter tires. I love the looks of em as they spin, and with 50zr16's, they would cut back on the huge amount of sidewall. I did a search and got no adequate results. anyone have opinions or pics for me?

brad
Old 03-13-2005, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Being an old school hot rodder, I love white letters too but something tells me that on these cars.. they just won't look right.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I had thought about this too... but have decided totally against it. Don't get me wrong, if I had my 1977 TA again, THAT would have white letters! Some company used to make some 'paint' that you could paint in the letters, but I haven't found it recently. It probably went out of style as RWL tires waned. With something like that, any paint or material, think about how it will wear. If it turns yellow or flakes off it might look way worse than nothing at all. My other last thought was to get some really strong thick white rubber or plasticy material, and cut out the shape of the letters and glue them on. If you decide to try it, write up some instructions, and especially your suppliers, incase anyone else wants to try it!
Old 03-13-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

RWL on the tires for our cars don't look good IMO. They look better on an old school car.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:23 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

hmm this is weird. 99% of the time I agree with most all you guys on whatever cosmetic questions people have, but I really think that they would look awesome, and I wanna do this. I am thinking of painting the "good year" (plus the logo) and the "eagle F1" sections, not white outlines, but solid. my buddy has a white 81 vette (red leather interior ) with eagle II's also, and they are solid white letters with 50% sidewall, on the tires, and they look AWESOME. What is it about older cars that the white letters looks so "right" with? admittedly my car doesnt have the wonderful fenders like the C3, but I still dont know if I should do it...

hmmm.. and being that my car is silver, I dont think it would upset any balances or complexities too bad. Also my brakes are stock, so they are nothing nice to look at or focus on.

I do love that nascar look of solid bright letters spinning down the track... and I think especially on my car which doesnt have low profile tires or aftermarket rims. otherwise when I look at my car I see the beauty of its shapes and body, but then its sitting on just plain grey/black blobs. (i say blobs cause of the big sidewalls) hmm I dunno if I should do it. I am gonna develop some chops then post em for you all to critique for me. give me a couple hours... and thanks for the posts.

brad
Old 03-13-2005, 08:26 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
think about how it will wear. If it turns yellow or flakes off it might look way worse than nothing at all. My other last thought was to get some really strong thick white rubber or plasticy material, and cut out the shape of the letters and glue them on. If you decide to try it, write up some instructions, and especially your suppliers, incase anyone else wants to try it!

yeah chris I hear you. I was considering that too. I dont want to wash the tires and have half of my white come off with the dirt. if I decide to do it, you can be sure the craftsmanship aspect will be done right.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it would look alright, but would be difficult to accomplish.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

try a paintbrush? lol
Old 07-03-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

This thread a little old, but just last week I see that DupliColor paint has a special line of Tire Paint now, just for making white, yellow, or red letters and anything you want to paint, especially for tires!
Found it on the counter at Advanced Auto
Old 07-03-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

hmm did that paint come with a free nascar hat or wife-beater by any chance?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
hmm did that paint come with a free nascar hat or wife-beater by any chance?
only if its yellow paint
Old 07-03-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah white letter tires sure are only for rednecks and people with mullets i guess right?.....

\/ See signature as well \/
Old 07-03-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

there is someone with a blue t/a '98..'99..'00 on here or ls2 with white letters..looks ok..not my cup -o- tea though.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha yea he posted right above you

Quick Reply: White Letter Tire opinions