Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

replacing bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing bearings

i have let a few people listen to the noise in my car, which is coming from the rear. everyone has come to the conclusion that it's either my rear axle bearing or one of my carrier bearings, but no one can really differentiate between which it could be.

so my plans are to buy a rear axle bearing and 2 carrier bearings, take the rear end apart, and then when i find the bad bearing, replace it, and take the remaining bearings back. but, the most i've ever done on a rear end is replace the fluid, so i need a little help with the rest.

if anyone could direct me to a site explaining how to do this, or if anyone wants to go into great detail (tools, time, procedures, etc), that would be excellent! something i hate more than anything is going into an install not having a single clue what i'm doing! but this noise is bad, and it need to be taken care of immediately!
Old 03-13-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i have let a few people listen to the noise in my car, which is coming from the rear. everyone has come to the conclusion that it's either my rear axle bearing or one of my carrier bearings, but no one can really differentiate between which it could be.

so my plans are to buy a rear axle bearing and 2 carrier bearings, take the rear end apart, and then when i find the bad bearing, replace it, and take the remaining bearings back. but, the most i've ever done on a rear end is replace the fluid, so i need a little help with the rest.

if anyone could direct me to a site explaining how to do this, or if anyone wants to go into great detail (tools, time, procedures, etc), that would be excellent! something i hate more than anything is going into an install not having a single clue what i'm doing! but this noise is bad, and it need to be taken care of immediately!
PM Sent.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Launching!

I think i have the same problem and need some info on the break down and install procedure. Could you give me a hand if he pmed you instructions or something. Thanks
Old 03-13-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to change the axle bearing myself and they was no way in hell it was going to come out. I used every tool imaginable besides a hydraulic press. I had to take it to Midas so they could do it.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I tried to change the axle bearing myself and they was no way in hell it was going to come out. I used every tool imaginable besides a hydraulic press. I had to take it to Midas so they could do it.
This is what we use to pull the bearings out of the housing. Our set is Snap-on but is made the same as the OTC. There are also cheaper made sets out there.

http://toolcraze.com/Merchant2/merch...gory_Code=pull
Old 03-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Launching!

I've seen alot more carrier bearings go out than axle bearings but seen a few axles to .The left side carrier bearing is usually the one to go out!
Old 03-23-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1s R US
The left side carrier bearing is usually the one to go out!
left being driver's or passenger's side? it depends on which way you are standing... and whatever noise my rear end is making is definitely more prominent on the passenger side.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Teching In

the left side of the car is always the drivers side. just got done putting 2 new axle's and bearings in my car, i didn't know a camaro could be so quiet. now i can enjoy driving it, just hope i don't get a speeding ticket now due to it's that quiet.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

I have my Z in pieces right now at work, bearing noise. Everyone said it sounded like a carrier bearing however when I took it apart it ended up being the outer pinion bearing race all pitted up. Not a easy task, you need special tools to do it right.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

well my friend sat in the car tonight while i drove around. he was 100% certain the noise was coming from the wheel/tire area on the rear passenger side, ruling out the carrier bearing really being a possibility anymore.

now i'm torn between axle and wheel bearing. what do you guys think? i'm probably going to attempt the wheel bearing this weekend unless i get some strong advice to not do such a thing.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The axle/wheel bearing are one and the same. You need to remove the wheel and caliper (leave the caliper connected to the brake line), open the cover, pull the diff centerpin by removing the retaining bolt, push the axle in and remove the c-clips(if it is a 4 channel you will have to remove the abs sensors to do this)(the c-clips may fall off once the axles are pushed in), and pull out the axle. You will be able to check the axle bearing surface as well as the axle bearing itself. Autozone has an axle bearing puller they will lend you to remove the bearing.

If it is not obviously the axle bearing, then once you have the axles out it is easy to take out the carrier by removing the caps and prying the carrier out. Make sure you notice the shims between the bearing races and the housing, put them back in the same spots (l&r). Once you have it out, you can check the carrier bearings easy.

If you still have not found the problem, at this point you are only one nut away from checking the pinion bearings. Get a pinion holding tool and a torque wrench from Autozone, measure the torque it takes to remove the nut, so you can put it back with the same torque if the bearings are ok (if you replace the bearings, you will need to reset the pinion depth - gear setup).

If I've got anything wrong here, someone else chime in, but I don't think I have forgotten anything. Good luck, let us know how it goes, and feel free to pm or email if you have problems.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks rex. is it okay to just replace the bad axle bearing and not both axle bearings? is there a good chance the other one will go bad soon, or is that unlikely?
Old 03-24-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would recommend checking it at a minimum, as once you have the other axle out, you only need to remove the wheel, caliper, and abs sensor to get both of them out. Also, sometimes when you lose an axle bearing, it damages the axles. You might want to replace the other side bearing and seal just for piece of mind and so you don't have to take it apart again. I can't imagine the bearing would be more than $20.

I'm building a complete rear right now, and putting all new bearings in it just so I don't have to fool with it again for years.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

I just put mine back together after having a noisey pinion bearing, once the carrier is out its easy to see if its the pinion, just give it a spin, mine felt really rough. Also you want to measure rotating torque of the pinion gear on installation, around 20 IN lbs with new bearins and 15 IN lbs with old bearings, replace crush sleve.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm going to have to only do one of the bearings since i could only find one bearing in this town. anyway, i'd hate to mess with the other if it's fine for now. if it goes out at some point i'll know how to fix it then. otherwise, i'm not going to worry with it. this never happened on my old camaro (v6 4th gen) and i had it for about 40k miles.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

couple of questions...

firstly, the passenger side is the bad side. can i leave my driver's side rim/tire/brakes on and not even touch it then? will the c-clip still fall if i just push in the passenger side axle?

secondly, which bearing tool do i rent at a-zone? i've heard some work well and others do not. how do i put the tool on the bearing in order to get it off? how do i get the new bearing back on? what about the seal? do i need to have grease to put on the seal and bearing when i put it back on? any other pointers?

i have to drive out of town next week, so it's imperative i try to get this taken care of this weekend, since i was advised to not drive long distances on this bearing. please let me know if you know the answers to my questions!!

also, anyone know the length of an f-body axle?

Last edited by tuffluck; 03-25-2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't need to take both sides apart, you can take out only one c-clip, but given that it only takes about 5 minutes to take the wheel and caliper off, I definitely would not go without checking that other side. If one is bad, there is a good possibility the other side is bad. Like I said before, probably for $20 you can change both and know that it is good to go.

The tool you need is an axle bearing puller. It is pretty self explanatory, select the right size tip ( you can use your new bearing to tell which one it is), insert it in the housing through the bearing and pull back until it is tight. Tighten the nut and washer so it doesn't move, hook up the slide hammer, and start yanking.

Just tap the new one in using a bearing driver - also available at azone. They'll hook you up with the right stuff.

No grease needed, the lube in the rear will take care of that. If you have a Torsen posi you should go back with some redline or mobil one synthetic, Royal Purple is fine too.

What do you need the length for ?
Old 03-25-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

my garage is small. i don't think i have room to pull the axle out inside it, so i'll probably have to do the work outside the garage. that's why i wanted to know the length.

do i need silicone for the rear gasket, or not? some people say to use an assload, others say not to use any. i just don't want it to leak...
Old 03-25-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Axle is about 30"

Successful silicone is all in the technique, too much or overtightened and you will squeeze it out and it will leak. Too little and it will leak. Try to reuse the gasket, your best bet for a non-leaker. If you tear it, use silicone to glue the tear back together.

Good luck !
Old 03-26-2005, 04:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

i bought a new gasket. suggestions?

Quick Reply: replacing bearings