Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 vs. Evo (again)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 vs. Evo (again)

I posted a few months back on how i beat my friend in his stock Evo, now it seem as if the story has changed. We just put a Blitz BOV, a full catless custom turbo back exhaust, and we are gonna put a short ram cold air intake on his car tonight.

I was wondering, with all of that, does my car stand a chance with the mods that i have- Mid-length headers, slowmaster catback, cold air intake, 4.10 gears, free mods, and some suspension stuff. We agreed that we were gonna go from a dig, but he was gonna give me the hit. And i know that i am a better driver than him because he has only had the car for 3 months. I plan on getting it on tape either way.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see it as a driver's race. The turboback will up his boost and add quite a bit of power.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

he probaly shoulda beat u froma dig stock anyway so if u pulled on him a couple of cars itll be a driver race this time.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:36 AM
Teching In

you gonna get murdered. From a dig if he knows how to launch his car that ll be ur race right there. i ve had an AWD tsi before and was able to put 3-4 on stock ls1s and keep 2 car ahead until 100-110
Old 03-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

well ill let u guys know what happens in two weeks when i get my car out of storage for emissions testing.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Good luck man
Old 03-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by enisguy
The turboback will up his boost

huh? since when did a turbo back create boost?

anyways, how bad did you beat him last time, and was it from a roll or a stop?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on how restrictive the stock system is, yes, it *COULD* raise boost on a turbo car. When I replaced my stock stuff on my old supra with catless 3" from the turbo back (elbow, DP, test-pipe, catback), boost jumped from 7 to 10 on its own, no boost controller. It could happen, but then again I have no idea what the stock stuff is like so I don't really have a frame of reference.

-J
Old 03-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Teching In

TBE on an evo wont raise boost.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

first time we ran it was from a 40 drop and i pulled 2 cars.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Teching In

it will probably be a drivers race then.

TB exhaust can add anywhere from 20-40 whp. Untuned it will be on the low end of the gain. But it will change the area under the curve pretty signifigantly. He will spool a lot faster, and his peak power will more than likely be reached at a higher rpm. From a roll, it will be very close, from a stop no contest.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:31 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

"galaxy in danger? millon to one odds? sounds pretty good to me. lets do it." -James T. Kirk

lol go get em or go down tryin!
Old 03-16-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilDylan
Stand corrected, then my post is useless

-J
Old 03-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Depending on how restrictive the stock system is, yes, it *COULD* raise boost on a turbo car. When I replaced my stock stuff on my old supra with catless 3" from the turbo back (elbow, DP, test-pipe, catback), boost jumped from 7 to 10 on its own, no boost controller. It could happen, but then again I have no idea what the stock stuff is like so I don't really have a frame of reference.

-J
now that i know is true about 3'' down pipes. they flow better
Old 03-16-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should have expected so, a turboback on my car would raise boost but I shouldn't have suspected that it would on higher performance turbo cars like an STI or an Evo. I stand corrected.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

it will probably be a drivers race then.

He will spool a lot faster, and his peak power will more than likely be reached at a higher rpm. From a roll, it will be very close, from a stop no contest.
How does exhaust make him spool faster? Turbos are powered by exhaust gases, and at low RPMs with less backpressure in the system, it will take longer for him to achieve full boost. More air is flowed thru once higher RPMs are reached, but from a roll, he will boost more slowly than before.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:12 AM
12 Second Club

keep us posted when you break your car out
Old 03-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rynofasho
How does exhaust make him spool faster? Turbos are powered by exhaust gases, and at low RPMs with less backpressure in the system, it will take longer for him to achieve full boost. More air is flowed thru once higher RPMs are reached, but from a roll, he will boost more slowly than before.

No Whenyou openthe exhaust system up you allow for more air to escape faster through the exhaust system. Wheny ou have smaller diameter down pipe for example, the back pressure that it's creating is in a way clogging the turbo up. Keeping it from spooling as fast as it should.

Think of it this way, you have a small creek with a water wheel, down stream from the water wheel you have a dam of sorts. you close the dam so that only a small amount of water can leave the dam, and you slow down the whole creek, this will in turn slow down the water wheel. now if you open the dam all the way, it will be able to evacuate more water and therefore speed the entire upstream portion of the creek up. This will in turn speed the water wheel up. Think of the water wheel as the turbine wheel, and the creek water as exhaust gas, and the dam as the exhaust piping.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Teching In

No Whenyou openthe exhaust system up you allow for more air to escape faster through the exhaust system. Wheny ou have smaller diameter down pipe for example, the back pressure that it's creating is in a way clogging the turbo up. Keeping it from spooling as fast as it should.

Think of it this way, you have a small creek with a water wheel, down stream from the water wheel you have a dam of sorts. you close the dam so that only a small amount of water can leave the dam, and you slow down the whole creek, this will in turn slow down the water wheel. now if you open the dam all the way, it will be able to evacuate more water and therefore speed the entire upstream portion of the creek up. This will in turn speed the water wheel up. Think of the water wheel as the turbine wheel, and the creek water as exhaust gas, and the dam as the exhaust piping.
In other words its kinda like turbo constipation

Shane
Old 03-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

fackin genuis anology