Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Problems with Autometer Electronic Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 05:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Question Problems with Autometer Electronic Fuel Gauge

About a year and a half ago or more I installed a Autometer Electronic Fuel Pressure Gauge. This is the new one where all the electronics are built into the gauge.

Last fall when I was on the highway, my gauge started to sweep from 58 to 40 to 50 to 20 to 0 to 58, you get the point. At first I thought my fuel pump was going out on me but the car ran fine, pulled hard.

I drove the car a few more times before I put the car up for the winter and it still did it and then the gauge stopped working all together.

It doesn't even sweep when you start the car.

I haven't started to do any hardcore troubleshooting yet (I did check the sending unit connector), I figure I'd ask here first to see if anyone else had seen this problem before.

Thanks in advance!!!

Bill

Last edited by Billiumss; 03-20-2005 at 05:20 AM.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the sender unit is in there good, make sure you check the ground wire and power wire. Also make sure the pig tail is still securely plugged into the back of the gauge. Short of that, I'd say either your fuel pump is messed up, or the gauge went to ****. If you know of anyone else with a fuel pressure gauge, you might try and see if you can just plug your gauge into their wiring harness and see if the gauge works properly. That would be a quick and easy way to see if it's the gauge itself.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gregg 00SS
If the sender unit is in there good, make sure you check the ground wire and power wire. Also make sure the pig tail is still securely plugged into the back of the gauge. Short of that, I'd say either your fuel pump is messed up, or the gauge went to ****. If you know of anyone else with a fuel pressure gauge, you might try and see if you can just plug your gauge into their wiring harness and see if the gauge works properly. That would be a quick and easy way to see if it's the gauge itself.
The connector on the back of my gauge broke off and I'm having one hell uva time finding a replacement connector. Anybody know where I can pick up just the connector so I don't have to tear the dash apart?
Old 04-10-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You talking about the part inside the gauge, or the end of wiring harness? If it's the end of the wiring harness, just call Autometer and they'll probably just send you a new one. I know I had problems with my wiring harness and they were quick to get another in the mail at no charge.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Teching In

You talking about the part inside the gauge, or the end of wiring harness? If it's the end of the wiring harness, just call Autometer and they'll probably just send you a new one. I know I had problems with my wiring harness and they were quick to get another in the mail at no charge.
The end that attaches to the sending unit.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just give them a call or send them an email, they should take care of you.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Just give them a call or send them an email, they should take care of you.
I sent an e-mail to them Friday night. We'll see how good their customer service is.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JPSartre12
I sent an e-mail to them Friday night. We'll see how good their customer service is.
To follow up. Autometer sent out a new sender unit wiring connector "no charge". They really do have great customer service.