Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug wires

This may seem like a weird question, but I need your help.

I was wondering if when any of you have time if you can look under your hood and tell me how the plug boots sit on the drivers side. What I mean is do they all sit flush or are they different?

The reason I ask is because I changed my plugs this weekend and when I went to put the wires back on, the first one (closest to the front of the car) was sticking out about 1/2-1" further than the other three on the same side. So I tried to put it on more put it won't go. Also, when I put the other three on, they clicked when they were completly on and this one did not. So I am thinking that this one is not on all the way, but I can't hear/see anything and notice no power loss. I have MSD Super Conductors if that matters.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine all seem to sit flush. Sometimes wires can be weird. Just make sure you dont have a miss on that cylinder. Just try fiddling around with it some more....
Old 03-24-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have MSD's also and they sit flish, is it possible its not on all the way ?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys. I am pretty sure that I might need a new spark plug wire because this one will not go one anymore and is getting pretty flimsy. I looked at the boot and it is kinda bent and all the others are straight so I think I might need a new one.

Does anyone know where I can get just two (2) of these? I really don't want to have to but all eight again.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I asked this question a few days ago!

My #1 spark plug does not seat in as far as the other three on that side, and hence the #1 plug wire sticks out farther than the other three as well.

When I feel where the plugs go into the head, the #1 plug's nut does not go all the way into the recess in the head. The other three plugs, the nut goes all the way into the recess, where you cannot feel it any longer.

I have noticed no different performance either and have no misfires. The plug also tightens down nice and tight.

Do me a favor and check your #1 plug to see if the nut is all the way down into the recess in the head?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

I will have to get back to you on that, the motor is way too hot for me to be putting my finger in there right now!
Old 03-24-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by formula87350
I will have to get back to you on that, the motor is way too hot for me to be putting my finger in there right now!

I hear that, I look forward to your response!

Sorry I don't know where you can get just two wires.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:29 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My MSD's are all flush too. You'll probably have to buy a whole new set of wires again. You might try posting in the Parts Wanted forum, and see if you get any leads.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z-6Speed
I hear that, I look forward to your response!

Sorry I don't know where you can get just two wires.

I finally got there and my first plug goes all the way to the block. But I did try putting the wire on again and it snapped this time but was still not flush. I hate when little crap like this can't just go on like it's supposed to.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have Taylor or MSD wires you can buy them seperately. I had one of my MSD wires break the last time I changed my plugs, and my local performance shop told me that you can buy them seperately
Old 03-24-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by formula87350
I finally got there and my first plug goes all the way to the block. But I did try putting the wire on again and it snapped this time but was still not flush. I hate when little crap like this can't just go on like it's supposed to.

Thanks man. I guess as long as it runs good, I will leave it alone and be really careful on my plug changes. I probably have a slight mis thread situation going then.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CRL 01 SS
If you have Taylor or MSD wires you can buy them seperately. I had one of my MSD wires break the last time I changed my plugs, and my local performance shop told me that you can buy them seperately
So did you get them at that local shop? If not, where did you get them?

98Z- No problem man, mine runs fine too but I need to get to the track to see if there is a time difference.