Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after Mac install, help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Problems after Mac install, help appreciated

After 6.5 hours, the Macs were installed. If these are the easiest headers to install, I'm never doing another set. Problems are as follows:

1. I'm suffering from the primary/ steering linkage contact. Drivable, but not enjoyable. I plan on dimpling the primary and shaving a bit of the linkage off. Question is does anyone have any pics on how much to take off? I would hate to damage the integrity of either.

2. I'm pretty sure I have a leak somewhere on the driver side. There is a similar albeit lighter sound on the passenger side. I got the car on a lift and could not feel any leaks around the y/i pipe joint, or the O2's. Could this be an echo of some sort from the engine?

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

TIA,

Dave
Old 03-28-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's strange you have clearance issues with the steering linkage. We have almost the same car and my macs aren't even close to the steering linkage. Did you take the linkage off to install the headers? I don't know that I'd want to dimple the header tube. As far as the exhaust leak sound, make sure you re-torque everthing after a few days of driving. Any leak will soon have black soot around it, so it should be easier to spot. I found one after a week of driving that way. Is the sound constant or just when you get on it?
Old 03-28-2005, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

I had a lift when i installed them and slipped them in from the bottom. I didnt have to touch the steering linkage. I've heard of some moving the steering linkage, but when I looked I didnt see any bolts other than the one attaching it to the rack. I'd really rather not dimple them myself, but it looks like I'm running out of options. The sound only occurrs from 1/4 throttle on. I just put 80 miles on them and no black soot thus far (I checked about an hour ago), but will check again in a few days; thanks for he advice. Anyone else?
Old 03-28-2005, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you still have the AIR system, I know guys that have to put block off plates on the fittings with a 1/4" hole drilled in them to slow the flow down and keep the valves in the AIR system from flapping and making noise.....that may be the exhaust leak your hearing.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Good call... I'll have to try that.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I doubt it's the air check valves, but you can try it. I have the same problem and have had it for 2 years now. The problem is a bad weld in the collector on the drivers side. The leak is coming from inside the cone, right where the 4 pipes merge into the collector. I didn't find where the leak was until about a year ago and I couldn't get a warranty fix after that amount of time. The only fix for that is to get it welded or have mac send you a new header.

BTW, mine still isn't fixed.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Maybe check your motor mounts as well, that might help with clearance issues. If they are worn or sagging, they can allow the motor to shift out of position.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey macool68 does the leak almost sound like valvetrain noise?? I finished my Mac header install a week ago and have identical problems. I must agree that if these are considered easy to install I'll be paying a shop if I ever go with long tubes....I did a 5.0 engine swap that was way easier!

Anyhow my drivers header is also hitting the steering knuckle and I have the same leaking sound...Let me know if you figure either out....

Kevin
Old 03-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Teching In

At one point I heard the Mac tech line tell customer's when a driver's side header hits the steering linkage/knuckle is due to stagging engine mounts and recommended replacing them. To fix my exhaust leak, I had to re-torque my header bolts after install. Also, re-check the torque on the spark plugs. My passenger side spark plug under the windshield was loose.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

whew, spent the day yesterday working on cars. I have gotten rid of most of the obstuction on the steering knuckle thanks to an air grinder, although I still have a little pull under full throttle.
Regarding the noises, I fabbed up the plates and it seemed to help. However, again under full throttle, I'm still getting what sounds like a leak from somewhere. I'll wait a week to look for carbon build up, and try tightening the header bolts.
I checked the motor mounts when I installed them (I ended up dropping the front end to fit them in) and they appeared fine. Thanks for the responses, I'll let everyone know how this weekend comes out.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

My MACs clear my steering fine. Somethings not lining up right.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

My macs are used, but I do beleive that they line up correctly. I'm retightening the manifold bolts this afternoon.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Wow, that is a lot of work to install MAC's. There's no doubt the first install is the toughest, but they shouldn't be that bad. Every time I've have installed mine they went in from the top (removed valve covers). I did notice after driving with them, the steering knuckle dented one primary.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Me and my son did my MAC's in under 4 hours ... that DAMNED back passenger-side plug ...arrggghhhhh

Without removing the valve covers, they were a bitch to squeeze in ... pleanty of clearance once they were bolted up ... no issue ... ported the living **** out of them before installing ...
Old 03-31-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had steering clearance issues with my long tubes. Loosen the bolts that hold the steering rack at the firewall, use a long screw driver and pry the steering shaft away from the primary tube, then re-tighten the bolts. I got about another 1/2" of clearance.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Installed a set of used macs by myself in the driveway in 4 hours . Something isn't correctly aligned on your car if it is hitting anything . I got good clearance around everything with my set .