Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bosch Platinum 4? Where are they, and what happened to them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Bosch Platinum 4? Where are they, and what happened to them?

Hey people, i'm getting headers put in, and i might as well change the plugs and wires. It's also the easiest time to change them. Well listen, everyone is into those NGK plugs, well whatever happened to the Bosch 4 plugs? How come nobody talks about them anymore? Were they that over rated or something? I remember a couple of years ago everybody wanted them, now i barely hear their name mentioned? Can anybody help? I wanted to get Bosch 4 cause they don't need to be gapped, they are a good spark plug, but then again... it's like i don't hear their name anymore. Well if somebody thinks they aren't good, tell me what i should use. Thanks... take care!
Old 03-30-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

They're junk...... Under heavy loads the platnium tips like to burn. GM has replaced the platnium plugs with iridium.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

They suck thats why. Had problems on 2 different f-bodies that i installed them in.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

good to know.... Hey thanks alot! So what should i go with, those NGK's?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

NGK's are always a great choice. Copper TR55, Iridium TR55IX
Old 03-31-2005, 02:42 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks again guys... I just found a deal on some Nology SilverStone Spark Plugs! I'm going to get those. They say those are pretty much one of the best spark plugs for the money. But just out of curiousity, anybody out there that bought Bosch 4 spark plugs, that didn't have a problem... i just want to know. Cause like i said, they were big and then they fell off the face of the Earth!
Old 04-01-2005, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

since he is talking spark plug talk, is brisk plugs any good????
Old 04-01-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had some Bosch +4s in my car for about two years. The car idled well but it did hesitate a little in 4th gear @30 mph. It would take a brief moment to respond when giving it throttle. That was my only complaint. I replaced them with Brisk spark plugs and those seem to work really good. They are a bit expensive but the have a huge silver center electrode that has held up really good. I took one of them off last week after 4 months of use and it looked really good so I'll just recheck them again in a year.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

where do you find those brisk plugs are they better than the NGK?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueSS
where do you find those brisk plugs are they better than the NGK?
there are no definitive results yet as far as I know. try a search here to see what you can find. www.briskusa.com you can find a list of vendors from that site.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

thanx i appreciate your quick response...
Old 04-02-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Bosch plugs in LS1 questionable

Not that I nor these other people state they are experts, but according to my longtime mechanic, dealerships, auto parts outlets, and some other LS1 self-mechanics, they advise to avoid bosch plugs as much as possible.

Their explanations all corroborated to the fact that the bosch platinum plugs operate at a higher temperature than what the manufacturer recommends on a stock motor, which is not good. I'm not too sure what the requirements for a modified motor (i.e. forced induction, increased displacement, custom tuning, etc.) would be, however from what I have read, the charge shouldn't generate a higher temperature than needed.

So far, most reputable auto retailers recommend AC Delco or NGK for LS1. If you use AC Delco Platinum, you might consider using only the #12 rapidfire. Even though the life is only 45K compared to 100K of the AC Delco professional platinum 41-952, it is advised to change the spark plugs as often as needed.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i switched from the ngk tr55 to the ac delco iridium (same thing as the tr55ix just comes in different box I've removed some from trucks after 100k that have both part numbers on there). I think that the iridium even though they cost more are worth the money since they perform the same don't require changing as often and don't need to be gapped saving install time. that reminds me those of you running the iridiums there is a buletin out saying " DO NOT GAP IRIDIUM PLUGS AS ELECTRODE DAMAGE MAY RESULT".
Old 04-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

NGK TR55. just get those.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Cody Brooks]i switched from the ngk tr55 to the ac delco iridium (same thing as the tr55ix just comes in different box

I see the tr55 everywhere it's not the same as the tr55ix right? so where can i get the tr55ix? TIA
Old 04-02-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the difference in the tr55 and tr55ix is the tr55 uses copper where the tr55ix uses iridium. you can get it in the form of the ac delco version at your dealership or get it in the ngk or ac form from o-reillys.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I'll add my $0.02, as saying Bosche +4's "suck" isn't really informative to you

in general, platinum plugs are a bad choice for our cars. Why? Because the platinum coating on the plug is very thin. A few hard 100% WOT runs and the platinum coating is toast. THAT is why people switch to conventional plugs, notable the NGK's. (Which, by the way is what I'm currently running)

Iridium plugs hold up much better than platinum, but you will pay the price for the metal coating (about 4x as much compared to a "normal" plug) I'd personally recommend a conventional plug, like the NGK TR55. NGK makes Iridium plugs, but plugs are not hard to change on an LS1 (especially with LT headers). If you had an LT1......then the iridiums would be well worth the $$ vs. changing plugs every 30K miles!!

Another detriment of the Bosche +4;s are their inherent design. On some cars they seem to wreak havoc on the knock sensors. Why....beyond me. Just passing on info from reputable sources.

Hope this info helps you out.

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 04-03-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

I have to agree. I have never been happy with my Bosch +4s...they never seemed quite right. I have a set of NGK TR-55s just waiting to go in. Today I did my !AIR, which will help me get to them a bunch faster when I get around to the plug swap.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hate to toss more into an already solved issue, however if you perform a search for worn out spark plugs, you might come across a thread dealing with worn out platinum plugs.

When I changed mine, I noticed on my OEM plugs were definitely due for change at 80K, even though they are supposed to last at least 100K. Like others who've mentioned this before, all but one of my old spark plugs had the platinum tips worn off. Definitely not good.

From this experience, I will agree with the others that plugs marketed as "high quality platinum plugs" aren't worth the money. Either plain copper, or Iridium should suffice.

Like a lot of the aftermarket "enhancements", high-priced platinum plugs are generally like many other "placebo" mods mentioned on this website, thus an unecessary expense to the end-user.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

my car runs twice as good and has MUCH MUCH better throttle response since i pulled my +4's and put in some tr55's.