Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Roll Cage Choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 09:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Cage Choices

Sorry to bore you again with my dilemma, but sometimes it feels better to run all these choices past you guys & get a sanity check. It seems like every time I think I've made up my mind, I read another article or post & start thinking again. There are only about a thousand possibilites.

First is the Wolfe that Tbyrne sells. It's nice, it's NHRA legal, but not ORR legal. I do like the swing-out door bars. And it's on sale.

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/images...ar/fbbar04.jpg

But then there is this bar. It is ORR legal. Looks VERY stout, has a harness bar, cross brace (diagonal), camera mount, but I'd need to add door bars. They sell one that has a front hoop, but with my pillar pod I don't want to do that.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...ory_Code=AP151

Or maybe I should just drive the car down to Art Morrison & let him build me a custom cage that does everything I want. (isn't this from your design Ellis?) What to do, what to do?
Old 04-06-2005, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

why isn't the wolfe ORR legal?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Sorry to bore you again with my dilemma, but sometimes it feels better to run all these choices past you guys & get a sanity check. It seems like every time I think I've made up my mind, I read another article or post & start thinking again. There are only about a thousand possibilites.

First is the Wolfe that Tbyrne sells. It's nice, it's NHRA legal, but not ORR legal. I do like the swing-out door bars. And it's on sale.

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/images...ar/fbbar04.jpg

But then there is this bar. It is ORR legal. Looks VERY stout, has a harness bar, cross brace (diagonal), camera mount, but I'd need to add door bars. They sell one that has a front hoop, but with my pillar pod I don't want to do that.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...ory_Code=AP151

Or maybe I should just drive the car down to Art Morrison & let him build me a custom cage that does everything I want. (isn't this from your design Ellis?) What to do, what to do?
Mark what kind of plates does that orr cage mount with? if it's 6X6 1/4inch steal than all you would hve to do is add a one down tube to the drivers side to be leagel for nhra.

I want to ask what josh asked why isn't the wolf legal for orr? It doesn't matter to get a cage that legal for both events you will have to add to eather one of them, which isn't that hard just have to know the rules and buy some extra tubing.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Veteran

After looking at both of them in the links, my first thought is to go with the Wolfe... being NHRA legal is important since you do mostly drag racing anyhow. It looks like you can make the Wolf ORR legal by adding that cross beam in the middle... which should be fairly easy for someone that can do a little fabrication.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

ORR requires a diagonal bar that goes from the drivers side by the roof to the passenger side by floor. Although in either race, my car will be slow enough to not REQUIRE a cage. For now anyway. But I want to be safe, so I want to add one that meets both requirements. Which means I'll have to add something to either. (good point Jasons)
Old 04-06-2005, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

Well in that case i would buy the wolf. Call them and they can include whatever peices you need to make it legal. Or just have them send you another chunck of tubing and we will make it.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

God i wish i had your problems.I want a cage for the vert.....The rumors I hear they cant be bolt in for NHRA.And I do use it as a daily drivers so perm mount is out(kids in the back seat from time to time.They love speed too)

If anyone knows diff let me know
Old 04-06-2005, 12:35 PM
10 Second Club

I asked Tm Byrne if they offered a diagonal bar that I could add, but he has yet to repond. It's only been 3 days!

Verts have different rules, but I think Wolfe makes a bolt-in that is NHRA legal. The rear bar must be welded to run 11.49, which means no people in the back seat at that point anymore.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

I asked Tm Byrne if they offered a diagonal bar that I could add, but he has yet to repond. It's only been 3 days!

Verts have different rules, but I think Wolfe makes a bolt-in that is NHRA legal. The rear bar must be welded to run 11.49, which means no people in the back seat at that point anymore.
people in the back seat with a cage is a bad idea anyway. I don't even like the ide of people riding in mine without a helmet. Could you imagine the damage it would cause if soem one hit there head in it in a wreck.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sardog46
people in the back seat with a cage is a bad idea anyway. I don't even like the ide of people riding in mine without a helmet. Could you imagine the damage it would cause if soem one hit there head in it in a wreck.
hell yeah, even with the padding that's gonna hurt like hell to smack your head against it without a helmet. And when I get a bar, the back seats come out permanently anyhow.

That's also why I'll be running the minimum bar (5 point) for NHRA purposes... don't want to not only inconvenience any passengers, but also don't want them to risk hurting themselves on it as much as possible.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool Thanks for the info
Old 04-06-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since kids ride in the back from time time.I never want a weld in cage....However i want some sort of roll over protection in the car to protect the little monsters in case of accident.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
hell yeah, even with the padding that's gonna hurt like hell to smack your head against it without a helmet. And when I get a bar, the back seats come out permanently anyhow.

That's also why I'll be running the minimum bar (5 point) for NHRA purposes... don't want to not only inconvenience any passengers, but also don't want them to risk hurting themselves on it as much as possible.
For sure the back seats will be coming out when the cage goes in. And there will be padding. But that is why I wanted to sit in a few cars to see how the different cages fit. First I need to be able to get in the car. Second, I don't want to be whacking myself (or passengers) on steel bars. But it also needs to pass tech for whatever race I'm running.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slowpokez28
Since kids ride in the back from time time.I never want a weld in cage....However i want some sort of roll over protection in the car to protect the little monsters in case of accident.
Roll over danger isn't too high in these cars, thankfully... last time I was looking at some rollover tests, the Camaro was listed as a 120+. Which means they put it into a sideways skid at 120, it still didn't roll, and they said it's far too dangerous to continue trying above that speed... so the really good cars got 120+ ratings.

Needless to say, no SUVs got within sniffing range of 100 mph, let alone higher.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

That is nice to know Mark. I am with slowpoke. I don't have anyone to sit in the back (no room anyway) but I do have a $1000 toneau cover that I don't want to cut just for a cage.

But to answer your question, I might be inclined to do the custom cage. It looks like you would have to add tubing to either one you got (door bars or a diagnal bar), so just design the cage to meet both ORR and NASCAR.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by howierd42
That is nice to know Mark. I am with slowpoke. I don't have anyone to sit in the back (no room anyway) but I do have a $1000 toneau cover that I don't want to cut just for a cage.

But to answer your question, I might be inclined to do the custom cage. It looks like you would have to add tubing to either one you got (door bars or a diagnal bar), so just design the cage to meet both ORR and NASCAR.

The only thing with a custom cage is price. Ask boyce how mucha custom cage costs, it ain't cheap.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowpokez28

It would put them in more danger with a cage. Just remember that. Like i said i would never put any in my car without a helmet, just because of the risk involved.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

For drag racing I am not that worried. Not yet anyway. Maybe when the car gets into the sub 11.5 zone I will be. But to this point I feel I can handle just about anything that happens at the track.

Now open road racing is a different story. Rolling along at sustained speeds of 140mph, hit some oil, blow a tire, whatever, in a turn on a 2 lane road with a 10' drop-off on either side, and nasty $hit becomes a real possibilty. These cars don't do the 4x4 stuff very well. Most dig in & flip over (several times according to the videos I've seen).
Old 04-06-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It would put them in more danger with a cage. Just remember that. Like i said i would never put any in my car without a helmet, just because of the risk involved.
You missed the point.....I was referring to something like this(Ugly aint it)
light bar
for everyday driving to proctect kids.(their heads sit above the top of trunk line so in a roll over their necks would be snapped without some sort of protection. see the problem
Old 04-06-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Actually those do VERY LITTLE to protect in a roll-over. I looked at those at one point too.

Quick Reply: Roll Cage Choices