Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOS vs. TNT solinoids

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NOS vs. TNT solenoids

I was gonna build a wet kit for my 99 TA. so I bought a set of NOS super pro-shot solenoid's (they say good for 400hp) but then I got a good deal on a TNT F1 kit so I bought it too. my question is this... which is better? I think Im gonna go with the NOS's but I thought I would run it through here first...
thanks, Jason

Last edited by JASON_C; 04-07-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just use the TNT f1 kit
Old 04-07-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

NOS is fine also. I don't no why it gets such a bad rap on this site? Could it be vendor inspired, meaning they don't make the $$ on NOS stuff, as NOS has a large loyality base and prob doesn't cut the deals the other co. do. If we really do the research NOS has broke and held more records than any other n2o company and been around longer. The other companys are fine too.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually I prefer the TNT Solenoids over the NOS Solenoids.It has nothing to do with profit margins.I feel that the TNT solenoid is a better solenoid.Thats all.
Yes NOS has been around along time.However there product is basically the samething it has been for years.
I feel that some of the more newer companys on the market carry more modern parts that are more up with todays technology.
Ofcourse everyone has different standards and judge different things.This is just my 2cents
However the NOS or TNT solenoid will work.
But in this case you are not comparing apples to apples.If the super proshot solenoids will flow 400 and you plan on spraying that much well then run the NOS solenoid.The F1 Solenoids will not flow that much.If you
know that you are not going to flow any where that well then it really doesnt matter.Put the one on trhere you like best.
Dave
Old 04-08-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dave, what do you base the reason that TNT noid is better? I hope I didn't offend you with the sales implication thing. It wasn't directed at anyone but in general. It seems that on most sites that NX and TNT have reps, but have yet to see a rep stand up for NOS. NOS is doing it to themselves, loosing ground daily. I don't have a connection with any n2o co. and believe that NOS, TNT, NX have equal products when comparing apples to apples.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

TNT...Same noids as NX uses. NOS noids are the cheap stanky ones that have cost me an engine before. I have never had any bad luck w/my TNT or NX set ups. Like I said...chalk up one highly modded motor to a bad fuel noid from NOS not opening. :-/
Old 04-08-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JoSeY
TNT...Same noids as NX uses. NOS noids are the cheap stanky ones that have cost me an engine before. I have never had any bad luck w/my TNT or NX set ups. Like I said...chalk up one highly modded motor to a bad fuel noid from NOS not opening. :-/
Well there are two sides to every story, which noids? You really think that TNT or NX doesn't have noid failures, that's the implication with bad talk. I have had one noid fail (not NOS) and was from a vender on this site. Now when people blow their motors using TNT or NX noids they aren't saying cheap stanky noids. You see what I'm saying, where has this bias come from?
Old 04-08-2005, 01:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Robert,
No offence taken at all.
I did not feel that it was directed towards me.
But you are right about the money part.Summit and Jegs has ruined the market on NOS products along with many other products.They sell it so cheap that it is not worth tieing up money in stocking it.The other bad thing is trying to get tech help or customer service.Holley is so big that you can sit on hold for an hour just to try to get jetting.
The good thing about some of the companys on the market today is that they have creating map pricing so that the smaller companys such as myself can still make a living and be able to survive with companys like summit and Jegs.While it is great for the consumer it kills small shops that do not have the buying power like some other companys.
This is why we ended up going with the nitch that we offer.
Our company only carrys the best product available and strives to offer the best customer service available.This has helped us grow.
In order to be able to offer good customer service to our customer we have to get good customer service from the manafacture.If the manafacture does not give us good customer service than we will not carry there product.
So here is what we look at.
Quality!!!!
Customer Service!!!
Profibility!!!!
These are the things that helps keep a company on the top of my list.You can not have good customer service withourt quality.And you cant stay open if there is no profit.
Dave
Old 04-08-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robert56
Well there are two sides to every story, which noids? You really think that TNT or NX doesn't have noid failures, that's the implication with bad talk. I have had one noid fail (not NOS) and was from a vender on this site. Now when people blow their motors using TNT or NX noids they aren't saying cheap stanky noids. You see what I'm saying, where has this bias come from?
This bias has come from being a mechanical designer workin on his engineering degree and actually looking at the construction of both products, and taking apart both products. Holley/NOS use subpar housings, coils, hell just look at the soildering of their connections compared to a TNT/NX noid and you can tell a difference in the product. Plus like Dave said, it's all about $$ to Holley....TNT/NX still half way care enough about their customers to not let them sit on hold for 30min...ridiculous.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, NOS has cheap noids for the guys with smaller pockets, or who are frugal with money and not looking to win a NHRA championship. On the other hand, try the NOS Super Big Shot if you want quality, 30amp draw, 600+ hp, high flow orifice you won't find much better. But, I do agree with both of you on the customer support thing/$$, as Holley has done it to them selfs, mostly.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Robert56
Yes, NOS has cheap noids for the guys with smaller pockets, or who are frugal with money and not looking to win a NHRA championship. On the other hand, try the NOS Super Big Shot if you want quality, 30amp draw, 600+ hp, high flow orifice you won't find much better. But, I do agree with both of you on the customer support thing/$$, as Holley has done it to them selfs, mostly.
I responced to the nos super big shot. 30 amp wow that is a ton for that noid design. My is only 14 amps. Can match the flow and has 2 out ports. other things if we are comparing noids here. nos uses or did use a buna seal on there pistons for years, that is why the can not handle a progressive system and uses a back up noid. Not sure about today though. Now does nos stuff open and close will of corse it does if it did not they would not be in busniess, or could not stay in business. Just the longivity of the part can not compare.

Ricky
Old 04-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Launching!

I love my N.O.S. kit, looks damn clean, and makes great #'s on the dyno/street.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
I responced to the nos super big shot. 30 amp wow that is a ton for that noid design. My is only 14 amps. Can match the flow and has 2 out ports. other things if we are comparing noids here. nos uses or did use a buna seal on there pistons for years, that is why the can not handle a progressive system and uses a back up noid. Not sure about today though. Now does nos stuff open and close will of corse it does if it did not they would not be in busniess, or could not stay in business. Just the longivity of the part can not compare.

Ricky
I don't know for sure but it seems that teflon is used now? About the amp draw, most noid failures are contaminate based which equals resistance, so if you have a noid pulling 14amps or 30amps which one is more likely to fail, remembering that amps is the power of the noid. As far as I know the only NOS kits that use a back up noid is the dry, for ultimate safety.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive been to TNT before and seen their place and have dealt with their customer service. All they do is n20 which is a downside to go with NOS if you ever need customer service. Im not saying NOS customer service is a non-existent thing because it isnt they just have alot more on their plate.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
Ive been to TNT before and seen their place and have dealt with their customer service. All they do is n20 which is a downside to go with NOS if you ever need customer service. Im not saying NOS customer service is a non-existent thing because it isnt they just have alot more on their plate.
Quality aside, yea, customer is virtually non existant. I asked a question 11-29-04 and 12-04-04 on-line concerning fuel pump and n2o and they still haven't answered. In the past on www.holley.iserviceassistance.com they answered my questions, however, about half the time I new more than the dummy tech. They'll never keep good return customers that way.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Ive NEVER seen a TNT nitrous noid fail.....However I have personally seen serveral TNT fuel noids fail, though I think they are high quality! You must monitor A/F ratio very closely with ANY N2O kit.... You also MUST inspect the fuel noids from time to time and NEVER use Citgo gasoline....Alcohol based octane enhancers will also swell the fuel plunger resulting in fuel noid failure and a lean condition.....

I do not have any experience with the NOS solenoids..... My next kit will be the NXl