Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Wonder where I've been lately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wonder where I've been lately?

This is my best friend and his family: http://komotv.com/peoplehelper/story.asp?ID=35508

I've been ripping up carpet, moving furniture, remodeling, widening hallways, making wheelchair ramps and helping make an elevator shaft for the new elevator to go in their house. Bob's supposed to go home in a few weeks and there's still tons to do.

His mom is battling cancer for the 3rd time, his dad is battling cancer for the 1st time. His oldest sister has advancing MS and is having another go round with cancer. My God, they're like the Kennedy's.

Bob was the one to pull the family together and the one they all called when they had problems that needed attention. Coached RJ's basketball and baseball teams. Rode Dirtbikes. I've known him and his family for 25+ years. Good people. Him and I have got into more trouble than I care to admit.

They are already into the kids' college funds due to insurance running out. He had just about the best insurance coverag available, worked at boeing for 20+ years as an Electrician, had stocks, etc.... all gone. Hospital stays like this wipe out even the most prepared people.

Two words to the wise. Supplemental Insurance!

If you have the means, please make a donation to the peoplehelper fund for them, info is at the KOMO4 link above, any amount helps. If not, and if your religious, say a prayer for him his family.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be glad to donate... man, that's a sad story Rick!

You know... we could always put together some sort of benefit or something. Maybe see if we can put together a car show and have people make donations there? Might be able to get some of the local car clubs together for it...
Old 04-14-2005, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

I'm broke, but I will donate if I have to rob an old lady of her welfare check. Man, life can sure be cruel sometimes. We could also have a mod the house party Rick!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

I think that's a great idea...!!

Damn, I just "donated" over 3K to Uncle Sam for his Apr/15th birthday so I'm broke... otherwise I would help for sure.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Tech Addict

Hey, no worries. If ya can donate, go for it, if ya can't, no biggie. Just thought I'd see what I could do for them by posting here.

A house mod party has been going on for 2-3 weeks now. ****, what month is it anyway? But if anybody wants to lend a hand lemme know. There will be plenty to do until and after he gets home.

I do like the carshow donation idea. Maybe I'll try and hit alot of the shows this year and have a donation box with a small story about them.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rokko send me a Pm me with all that needs to be done to this house i could lend a hand with my skills.it will be a few weeks till i can show my face.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rokko
I do like the carshow donation idea. Maybe I'll try and hit alot of the shows this year and have a donation box with a small story about them.
I'm thinking we could try to get one of the local businesses on board to let us use their space (XXX, Hooters, a car dealership, etc. come to mind) and maybe have some sort of themed car show to benefit this family's fund... like Ford vs. GM, Pontiac vs. Chevy, or something in that regard.

Each participant is charged an entry fee with part of the proceeds going to the donation fund. Then we have spectators put in donations (should they want to), and name which side they want to donate in the name of (Ford/GM, or Pontiac/Chevy) and the team that comes up with the most money in donations wins something?

I dunno... maybe I'm thinking in too large of scope.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

I like it. I can ask the mgr at Hooters.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh my, That poor man and his Family! My thoughts and Prayers are with them! Great idea for a Show/benifit for them..
Old 04-14-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
I'm thinking we could try to get one of the local businesses on board to let us use their space (XXX, Hooters, a car dealership, etc. come to mind) and maybe have some sort of themed car show to benefit this family's fund... like Ford vs. GM, Pontiac vs. Chevy, or something in that regard.

Each participant is charged an entry fee with part of the proceeds going to the donation fund. Then we have spectators put in donations (should they want to), and name which side they want to donate in the name of (Ford/GM, or Pontiac/Chevy) and the team that comes up with the most money in donations wins something?

I dunno... maybe I'm thinking in too large of scope.
I like it. I am in for anything like that. And for a good cause like this I am sure I can get the time off from work to be there.

My mom is in the hospital knocking on death's door for the umpteenth time as I type this. She has medicare and suplimental insurance and still gets bigtime bills, so yes people, the suplimental is more needed than you might believe.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Cool ideas!! I'm going over again tomorrow and I'll see whats up with needing help at the house and so on.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I like it. I can ask the mgr at Hooters.
I am sure you guys are on a first name (or better) basis by now eh?
Old 04-15-2005, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rottluver
I am sure you guys are on a first name (or better) basis by now eh?
WIth all the cute girls....
Old 04-16-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
WIth all the cute girls....
Bitch....you are gonna HAVE to share after about 6 weeks or so from now.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Rick so sorry to hear about this - I like the car show idea also I' d be happy to help in any way I can with that - I'm a great organizer, I’m sure Doug could get baked goods from Gai’s if we wanted to do any food

Just an FYI for everyone if you are in need of supplemental insurance let me know that’s what I’m doing now
Old 04-16-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mrs99LSS1
Just an FYI for everyone if you are in need of supplemental insurance let me know that’s what I’m doing now
Aflac?
Old 04-17-2005, 02:53 AM
TECH Veteran

It sounds corny but car washes raise more money than you can imagine (especially if you have a line of super shiny cars parked to one side). The parking lot on Lake Forest Park Way where the mini-mall is (where Ballinger dumps out) is gracious to let groups hold washes there.
Contact Chris Legerous @ KIRO to refresh his memory about this case for a possible pre-announcement - I've met him on other occasions where a family has been through very difficult times. He is compassionate and a true advocate for those who are slipping through the cracks.

Moria, get a hold of me if you want to cross-connect some ideas and help organizing. I might have a mouse in my pocket but won't know how loud it will squeak just yet. It may also help from keeping to file for an org status to collect donations from any gathering.

SOMEONE REMIND ME TO CONTACT MY CHEV FRIEND FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF A DONATED VAN. I do tend to forget things for a week or so and can contact them Monday to discuss the possibility.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

I was thinkin maybe a car wash with the girls at hooters to raise money too?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

You would have to have an org status and a whole lot of red tape for that one - though Hooters girls in nothing but red tape is an excellent idea
Old 04-17-2005, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GEARHED
You would have to have an org status and a whole lot of red tape for that one - though Hooters girls in nothing but red tape is an excellent idea
For a car wash? never heard of needing an org status for that. Besides if komo showed up for some coverage then I doubt there would be too many complaints

Quick Reply: Wonder where I've been lately?