Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!!!

A few things here.
1. when i start up the car after its been sitting for a while, or is cold, then i get this annoying sound coming sumwhere from under my hood. i can't really describe it tho. its not constant either. it'll go on and off for a couple seconds after i start up the car and my rpms are staying the exact same. I was told to remove my smog/air pump, and i did that today. i get the same sound tho.
2. Today after work i started up my car, and my instrument panel and radio weren't working. i drove home not knowing how fast i was going, or whut my rpms were at in each gear. the seat belt light came on when i had my seatbelt off tho. and the volts showed, but no other gauges worked. The only thing i did to my car recently was the smog pump removal, but everything worked just fine after i did that. i drove to work knowing how fast i was going and all. then afterwards, nuthing. i will check the fuses, but i dont' know how a fuse is blown when the car is sitting in the parking lot.
3. after i washed my car, i get this really really annoying creak on the drivers side. i hear it when i get into my car and sit down, andi hear it everytime i go from stopped to moving, and even if i don't shift too smoothly. did i degrease something with the water or what??

i think that's all my problems of noises so far, besides a possible exhaust leak. sum1 please help!!
Old 04-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Anybody???????
Old 04-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

checked the fuses, they're fine. 43 people have looked at this and nobody has any answers to any of the problems??
Old 04-23-2005, 05:33 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Possibilities:

1. Is it piston slap? Goes away after running for a few minutes, kind of a tick/tocking? If so, its normal on our cars, though usually only more pronounced in the cold weather.

2. Unknown.

3. when i wash my car HARDCORE everything creaks for a while, especially my steering, I think just because the wash I use kind of dries it all out. Need to lube it all up again pretty soon. But these are F-bodies, and are known to creak all oveer the place eventually.

sorry if this is no help. You dont have any way to describe the under the hood noise???

Brad
Old 04-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

i tried starting the car and listening near the engine, but all the sounds drown out the noise unless i'm in the car with both doors shut and the radio off. its definately not a "normal" sound. i dunno if this is just by coincidence, but i'll have the clutch in to start it and i hear the noise a tiny bit. then when i release the clutch pedal, the noise comes at me full blast. if it had anything to do with the clutch, then i dunno why it wouldn't just always make the sound. i think the sound comes back every once in a while when i'md riving too, but my exhaust/leaks are too loud to hear anything. When i start my car, it idles at about 1000rpm, then a few seconds later it'll work its way down towards around 750 if i'm just sittin there. then the sound will go away. when i accelerate, i hear the sound a little bit around 1000 rpm, but either it stops, or the driving sounds drown out the other sound when i go above 1000 rpm
Old 04-24-2005, 10:32 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

hmm mthats bizarre. I dunno. i also dunno why noone else has posted any ideas...

Brad
Old 04-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"but i'll have the clutch in to start it and i hear the noise a tiny bit. then when I release the clutch pedal, the noise comes at me full blast."

You release it in neutral and the noise gets louder?
You should hear the sounds my clutch is making... Just waiting for it to go. throwout bearing maybe? thats my wild guess.... you dont offer a lot of info here might be why 43 people looked and no one would take a stab at it.. how many miles on your car? mine has 75k but now the clutch is under considerable more duress
Old 04-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

35000 miles. the noise doesn't exactly get louder, it just gets more constant when i let it out in neutral. i gotta get it serviced on monday for the lack of gauges anyway, so i guess i'll find out whuts wrong.

oh yeah, i got a ticket last night cuz apparently when my gauges went out, so did my taillights. the brake lights still work, just not the taillights. cop said he "HAD" to give me a ticket, even tho there was no way for me to really know. so i had to drive home at night with my hazards on, not knowing how fast i was going, with a cop behind me the whole way. a aaand i gotta pay the stupid ticket. awesome weekend
Old 04-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my only guess on your elec trouble is that you knocked something loose when do the smog pump removal.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

i checked all i could for loose wires. no luck
Old 04-24-2005, 07:22 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The electrical problem sounds to me like you've got an erratic problem with a ground wire....

Last edited by ACW; 04-25-2005 at 09:14 PM.