Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F@*KING 02's and SLP extensions!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question F@*KING 02's and SLP extensions!!!!!

I have SLP long tubes on my car and it always trips 02 sensor codes. Now i have a cam it runs rich as **** and the other night i was coming home from a bar and my girl was drinking and the gas smell made her throw up in my car!! I hve had the rears deleted and went to Bosh corvette rear 02's in my front and nothing seems to work. My buddy is telling me to send my computer back out and do a closed loop, so the fronts are deleted in a sense? Has anyone else had this problem? How did u solve it?? While i am waiting for your replies i will be cleaning the throw-up out of my car!! LOL...
Old 04-25-2005, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

Funny I have the same problems the prev owner installed them headers I would have gone w/ a different brand. But yes the damn SES light comes on but what you gonna do? Im gonna sell them headers for dirt to get rid of them and buy a nicer set thats worth the money and makes the power.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the O2's on the SLP headers that much further from the engine? I did the O2 switch with my Jet-Hots and it cleared everything up.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

if u are getting a code its prob a heater code, i have read that the bosch cause some troubles. the car will smell rich without cats, do u have cats or no? sounds to me like you need a better set of o2s and some tuning done. closed loop uses information from the o2 sensors, open loop doesnt use this information because they are not hot enough. you prob need some closed loop tuning done
Old 04-25-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have slp headers... when i put 02 sims on the back it solved my SES problems. Then it came back a few months later. Turns out one of the weather-tight connections on an 02 extension wasn't weather-tight and wasnt sending a real good signal.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

rear sims being bad shouldnt cause the car to run bad though, that is an emission piece pretty much
Old 04-26-2005, 06:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
rear sims being bad shouldnt cause the car to run bad though, that is an emission piece pretty much
My car smells like fuel, I don't mind but my wife does. Maybe you need a new girlfriend
Old 04-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if u are getting a code its prob a heater code, i have read that the bosch cause some troubles. the car will smell rich without cats, do u have cats or no? sounds to me like you need a better set of o2s and some tuning done. closed loop uses information from the o2 sensors, open loop doesnt use this information because they are not hot enough. you prob need some closed loop tuning done
Don't believe everything you read about O2 sensors...I have the Bosch sensors, and they are doing just fine. ANY O2 sensor is going to have a challenge in that type of environment. Gotta pay to play this game.

To the original poster...you need to have that car tuned. You will keep having problems until you do.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had bosch 02 for 3 years now, with no problems, get a tune as stated above
Old 04-26-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Don't believe everything you read about O2 sensors...I have the Bosch sensors, and they are doing just fine. ANY O2 sensor is going to have a challenge in that type of environment. Gotta pay to play this game.

To the original poster...you need to have that car tuned. You will keep having problems until you do.

yes he needs a tune, i dont believe everything i hear, i am just telling him that i have heard of people having issues with them throwing codes or failing, but i have also heard of it working no problems for people like you, just saying what i have heard, i dont have them so i cant give any first hand experience
Old 04-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

yes he needs a tune, i dont believe everything i hear, i am just telling him that i have heard of people having issues with them throwing codes or failing, but i have also heard of it working no problems for people like you, just saying what i have heard, i dont have them so i cant give any first hand experience
Of course, that being said, it doesn't mean that they couldn't fail on my way home from work today. With headers, I think it is a matter of when, not if. My stock delco sensors with extensions lasted for over a year FWIW with no tuning.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Car is tuned by East Side. Was a mail order tune but it was done. The rears are deleted. Tried stock 02's, bosh 02's, and also another brand of 02's, nothing is working. I just want my car running right cause it has a problem finding an idle at lights, and i just want it running correct for when i am spraying 150 dry shot which i have been for a while with no probs, but i just want my car running right.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

you might need a better tune, on a dyno or something, find someone with hp tuners in your area maybe they can help or u can get your file on here and we can try to help
Old 04-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Mail order tunes are hit and miss...you really need to have it done by someone physically standing by your car.