Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rearend Bucking?? Weird

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rearend Bucking?? Weird

I just got my Richmonds put in about 2 months ago, since then I have made 3 passes at the track, they were on Nitto DR's..Now my gears whine in different places on my MPH range..For example, it used to only whine at 45mph, now its like 45, 55, 65..but not between those speeds? also, now that I ran at the track, if im going lets say 30 mph with my foot barely touching the pedal my car starts slightly bucking back and fourth? can anyone name this off the top of your head? im thinking my backlash is off since running at the track.

Landon
Old 04-26-2005, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

I'm not sure but you might have to get that looked at before it gets worse. I swaped my rear end a few weeks ago to Motive 3.73 w/ posi differential. I got a little bit of whine but only with the windows rolled up and the stereo off. I did a little homework before I bought the gears and found that Richmonds are at the bottom of the list. Have it looked at and if it's bad, consider either Motive Race or GM gears.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

i definatly thought about GM gears after the fact..to late..
Old 04-26-2005, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Motive makes production gears for GM. I was told. They are pretty good.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:46 AM
9 Second Club

doesnt sound good
Old 04-27-2005, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you break them in a bit before getting on it? Where they set up right? You might need a tune to adjust your TCC apply/release. You will get some whine if you don't break them in and/or set them up right.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, they were setup by a perfessional, and were installed to the exact specs from a guy at richmond...He told us to setup all drive pattern and zero coast pattern? i don't know what the backlash was set at, but I know that it doesnt feel right now. as for the break-in. Yes, i had at least 300 miles on them before running at the track. how much are GM gears, maybe 3.73's or something.

Landon
Old 05-24-2005, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

I had my stock 2:73's removed and put in Yukon 3:42's. First set was so loud the place said we can't let you leave with them sounding like that, so they put a second set in and was quieter. Still made some noise but not terrible. This was at a very well respected differential shop(Randy's ring and pinion). Sound always stayed ok and put in Royal Purple and quieted the gears down some. Then a month ago I decided to put on Nitto Dr's and the whine started getting louder and in more places than just letting off the gas. This was before I even took the car to the track. Now it whines all the time, but I also run the nitto's all the time now since it's not raining as much. Less pressure in the nitto's causes the rear to whine more and around 40 psi it whines less. Not sure if the nitto's are causing this or what. My car doesn't buck though.