Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Rev Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Custom Rev Kit

Couldnt find one I liked, besides im poor. So I made this one.

CNC'ed 6061 Aluminum. 375# springs. Delrin lifter guides. Whisper quiet.
To the moon.
RonO
The following users liked this post:
427troy (10-21-2022)
Old 04-29-2005, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

prepare for the deluge of "how much to make me a set" questions you will soon be receiving.

oh, and by the way.... how much to make me a set?
Old 04-29-2005, 11:30 PM
Adkoonerstrator

To damn pretty to cover up.

BIG solid roller anyone?
Old 04-29-2005, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

that does bring a question to mind for me... I plan on a solid roller...already got the cam and lifters. Would I be able to use less actual valve spring with a rev kit like this? Right now I am having a hard time finding a spring that will allow enough lift and not require longer valve stems, machine work that the heads can't handle, etc
Old 04-29-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HHHHMMMMM, those are puuuuuurrrrrdy!

D
Old 04-30-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very nicely done!
Old 04-30-2005, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Timberwolf
that does bring a question to mind for me... I plan on a solid roller...already got the cam and lifters. Would I be able to use less actual valve spring with a rev kit like this? Right now I am having a hard time finding a spring that will allow enough lift and not require longer valve stems, machine work that the heads can't handle, etc
Im running the Comp R hydraulic lifters. This setup gives me (in theory) the added spring pressure to reduce valve float over 6500-7000 rpm without stress on the pushrods, valves and rockers. I focused on making this one quiet because of the knock sensors being just 3 or so inches away. In testing that I have read on other kits, dyno numbers maintained better than 100 HP over 6500. Rev kits don't make power they just let you keep it a bit longer. This is a one off project just for the motor Im building for my Vette' and I tend to over engineer everything anyway. I made the pockets on the top spring rail so they might collect oil and keep everything lubed. Realistically, at this point in the valve train there is only around 3/8" of lifter movement with my .598 cam so it should be pretty bulletproof.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, very nice!!! I didn't even know there was a rev kit for the LS1, you sure know how to engineer nice stuff!! I wouldn't mind having one of those kits

Oh, and if you were to make those and sell them, that "poor" status would definitely change
Old 04-30-2005, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Every bum I see has a CNC machine
Old 04-30-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

You did all that with plans only for the one-off? You operating on a NASCAR budget???

Looks awesome, just be prepared for requests for more.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

looks awesome man but even if u did a limited run ud make some nice greeback.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:36 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice setup....

How much cost in materials do you have there? I'm guessing if its les than $200, you could be making a 100% profit if you were to sell those at $400 for a set. If you've already got the CNC equipment, the only cost is the material and the electricity to run the equipment.

You may have a nice little profit sitting in the top of your motor right now. Many guys, myself included, would happily pay to quiet down these sowing machines if it were for less than $500.

Think about it. You could also sell the idea to another manufacturer who could take the idea and run with it.

Remember, necessity is the mother of all inventions and lots of people will find it neccesary to quiet down and add reliability to the top end of our motors.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Very nice setup....

How much cost in materials do you have there? I'm guessing if its les than $200, you could be making a 100% profit if you were to sell those at $400 for a set. If you've already got the CNC equipment, the only cost is the material and the electricity to run the equipment.

You may have a nice little profit sitting in the top of your motor right now. Many guys, myself included, would happily pay to quiet down these sowing machines if it were for less than $500.

Think about it. You could also sell the idea to another manufacturer who could take the idea and run with it.

Remember, necessity is the mother of all inventions and lots of people will find it neccesary to quiet down and add reliability to the top end of our motors.

OK, OK lets slow it down boys and girls. Its not about the money. Its about the passion and what I want. I know thats crazy talk for 2005 but when it comes to my skills and these chunks of aluminum that I spent about two weeks on (500 bucks aint' gonna cut it anyway) and I consider a work of art, they are simply "Finished" and thats it. Glad you like them. My CNC is an old Bridgeport V2XT that can only do one set at a time, but I really love the mill.
I upgraded all the motion last year but its no production machine. My two lasers (http://thelasershop.net) and working seven days a week pays the bills. There is always someone with more money, but I got lots of stuff none of them have, like these parts. Geez...... you should see the rest of the car. I have so many projects on the back burner its ridiculous. I built some guitars that are worth over 12 grand. I really need to market my RC car nitrous system. The list goes on.
Two words, "Starving Artist". I prefer it that way.
RonO
Old 05-01-2005, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

sell the design to comp cams or someone similar who has the ability to mass produce, market, and ship them. My guess is a design like that should be worth 6 figures to them pretty easily.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Timberwolf
sell the design to comp cams or someone similar who has the ability to mass produce, market, and ship them. My guess is a design like that should be worth 6 figures to them pretty easily.
Comp, AFR and some other place offers one for the LS motor. But none are anywhere near this quality. Set it up. How bout' 20 percent your cut? But you better hurry cause' if you scroll up you can see the prototype posted on the internet!
Old 05-01-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice
Old 05-01-2005, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lasershop
Comp, AFR and some other place offers one for the LS motor. But none are anywhere near this quality. Set it up. How bout' 20 percent your cut? But you better hurry cause' if you scroll up you can see the prototype posted on the internet!
If you're serious, drop me a line with some contact info. I have been through this process before. I've designed several items that have gone to market, been produced by manufacturers or myself and wholesale distributed worldwide.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:32 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lasershop
OK, OK lets slow it down boys and girls. Its not about the money. Its about the passion and what I want. I know thats crazy talk for 2005 but when it comes to my skills and these chunks of aluminum that I spent about two weeks on (500 bucks aint' gonna cut it anyway) and I consider a work of art, they are simply "Finished" and thats it. Glad you like them. My CNC is an old Bridgeport V2XT that can only do one set at a time, but I really love the mill.
I upgraded all the motion last year but its no production machine. My two lasers (http://thelasershop.net) and working seven days a week pays the bills. There is always someone with more money, but I got lots of stuff none of them have, like these parts. Geez...... you should see the rest of the car. I have so many projects on the back burner its ridiculous. I built some guitars that are worth over 12 grand. I really need to market my RC car nitrous system. The list goes on.
Two words, "Starving Artist". I prefer it that way.
RonO
I wasn't trying to be negative at all.... quite the oposite. I guess I didn't realize that you had make these 'on the side' with your work equipment that pays the bills.

I was just trying to pay you a compliment on how sweet the setup is. If it really did work as you say, then some of the big boys should step up and make these and I'm sure you could be looking at a nice commision if you were to work with them.

You my friend are an artist and your medium is metal. I'd love to see other projects you've done. Don't be shy, post up some pics, be proud.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:04 AM
Staging Lane

Beautiful yet functional!
Old 05-02-2005, 07:12 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice work... You may find that the Morel lifters give you the stability you need more so than the CompR's. We switched from Comp R's to Morels and can turn ~7400 with no issues...

Quick Reply: Custom Rev Kit