Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O Ring MAdness

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy O Ring MAdness

I'm going nut here, can someone help me??? I bought a new 4l60e transmission and I have three o rings that came with it, I know two of them but what is the third one for???

One is about the size of a nickel, it goes half way down the shaft on the front of the tranny.

the second one is about an inch and a half, it goes on the base of the outer side of the torque convertor

the third one is about an inch and three quarters and I have no idea what it is for?

My tranny gets hot very fast and after just a few minutes of normal driving it gets to 260 degrees and starts slipping, so what am I doing wrong??

Please help, I'm not very smart at automatics and don't seem to know where I'm going wrong..
Old 05-07-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you build the trans yourself.. why would the trans come with 3 orings if it was already built...
Old 05-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
did you build the trans yourself.. why would the trans come with 3 orings if it was already built...

No I bought it brand new from Advance Outo Parts, It came from Accurate Transmissions. It came with a new sleeve for the dipstick tube and three o rings. The torque convertor was attatched with two straps, that were just for shipping. When I took the torque convertor off the main shaft had only one o ring on it, right at the end, blue and about the size off a dime.

There wasn't one ont the middle shaft just where the outer shaft stops, and I put the nickel size one there as it fit perfectly.

There wasn't one on the outside of the torque convertor tube itself, at the base of the convertor where the tube actually meets the convertor, so the inch and a half on fits there perfectly.

the problem is I have another on a little larger than the second on, about an inch and three quarters, but I don't know where it is suppose to go. It is larger than the torque convertor tube istself, so that eliminated that, I thought of the back end of the tranny where the drive shat enters, but there is a sleeve type seal there, and doesn't seem to be anywhere for a o ring.

The opening where the convertor goes in the tranny isn't suppose to have one cause the convertor has the two cutouts that have to slide into the tranny.

I drove it for two or three miles and it works fine at first but the temp goes to 260 pretty fast and then it starts slipping in third, so I don't won't to burn it up.

any ideas?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy do you have problems.....
ONE o-ring goes on the input shaft , the dime sized one, thats it, none go one the converter either, thats probably in there eating away at the pump seal!
THOSE OTHER ONES HAVE TO COME OUT! The one you put on the input shaft is probably ate up and stuck in the trans somewhere.
The 1 3/4" one might be(is) for the speedo sender.
The 3/4" o ring is for an aftermarket or old style dipstick tube with a groove.

Somethings slipping? Stock advance auto rebuild? No comment.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:48 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you shouldnt have had to put any o-rings on the shaft, I'm not real familiar with 4L60s but as far as I know there should only be one seal on the input shaft for the lockup clutch. The other o-rings they usually give are for the speedo sensor and old style dipstick tube.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:49 AM
kp
8 Second Club

heh, good timing there jxax
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kp
heh, good timing there jxax
Yep.

You think the overheating might be caused by an o ring on the input against the stator support blocking fluid flow to the converter?
Old 05-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Thats what I thought originally, I put it in with none of the extras and it wouldn't work for crap, I had the one on the end of the shaft that came with it, and nothing else, but it would shift into gear for six or eight seconds after I put it in drive and when I stopped at a red light it would act like it went back into nuetral, I'd have to rev the engine up to 1200-1300 rpm's to get it to kick back into gear. I went back to the store and thet told me to check and see if the o rings were installed on the shaft correctly. I thought there was only suppose to be one, but they said it like they were more than one.

The large one could be for the other style tailpiece, since they sent it to me with the manual type speedometer, and I changed tailpieces to put on my electric tailpiece. So brainstorm, that answers my original question about the largest o ring, it was probably for the manual speedometer...

OK now back to square one, The torque convertor had a small groove at the base of the pipe, and it had what looked like a o ring thing, it was the size of a string, so I took it off and put the middle sized one there. SO I NEED TO TAKE IT BACK OFF RIGHT?

Secondly, I put on on the main shaft sticking out of the tranny, the end of the small shaft had a groove that looked like a o ring groove just at the end of the larger shaft, so i put the small one there, it fit, so I guessed it went there. I guess I NEED TO REMOVE IT ALSO?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:27 AM
kp
8 Second Club

It sounds like it was low on fluid when it felt like it went in nuetral coming to a stop. You have to be very very careful when filling these.

I would pull the o-ring you put on the input shaft out, I dont know if it will really hurt anything where you put it or not but it sure isnt good. Some trucks use the o-ring on the output shaft, you dont need it. Thats odd it would have a different tailshaft, you are 100% sure its an LS1 4l60e right?
Old 05-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Banned

you are 100% sure its an LS1 4l60e right?
It's not an LS1 4L60E if there is a dime sized o ring on the end of the shaft.
I'm wondering if this trans came with a tailshaft housing,
Some of these transmissions have an o ring that goes in a sleeve on the tailshaft, you have to take the tailhousing off to get to it.

When a 700R4, 4L60, 4L60E gets installed the only o ring is on the input shaft.
The dipstick and speed sensor. That should be it.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Teching In

I don't know about the LS1 part, but the 4L60e part is right, the invoice says, 4L60E2C13LSB I talked with the store and they said the tailpiece they sent was for a 4L60 and not a 4L60e, but the only difference was the e was for the electronic spedometer sensor and that I was right in changing the tailpieces. Just to clear this up also, it was the tailpiece housing and not not actual tail shaft. So I'm going to take the tranny out again and remove the o ring on the torque convertor and the front shaft, but thats how I had it to start with, so I think I'll send it back and try another one, since I'm taking it out anyway.

Quick Reply: O Ring MAdness