Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone got a ballpark estimate of the RWHP/RWTQ i will have??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone got a ballpark estimate of the RWHP/RWTQ i will have??

hey everyone, i just recently heard about the site from a friend and decided to try it out. i am happy to say i am getting to live my dream at my age (18), instead of doing it later. i recently bought a 98 silver vette coupe (silver bullet) and i am having some work done on it here in amarillo.

could anyone tell me what kind of RWHP/RWTQ i can expect from putting in:

Headers
Cam
Stage 2 heads
sport spark plugs/wires
LS6 intake manifold

i would appreciate the input of anyone who has a ballpark idea
thanks
Old 05-12-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

what size cam? Who's heads?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your goin to want a cat-back lid and all other bolt ons as well if you don't already have. you need to specify which cam you plan on running in order to get someone to give you a reason and accurate guestimate.

by the way I'm about 2 hours east of you if you need any work done or help let me know I'm reasonable on labor and will do a quality job on an install of whatever type you happen to need.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by conan
what size cam? Who's heads?
the cam is a comp cam and i believe they are dynotech headers
sorry bout that
Old 05-12-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

need specs on cam like those in my sig.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cody Brooks
need specs on cam like those in my sig.

not really sure what those numbers mean, im still learning all this
Old 05-12-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have the mods below and put down 405.3rwhp and 375rwtq on a dynojet. 2001 Z28's already have ls6 intakes and other ls6 stuff, so i have a heads/cam LS6 more or less. if you dont have the bolt ons first though, id get them before heads and cam. at least have to get a lid and an exhaust or your not going to make near what i did with the same size cam. also, dont forget to factor in thte price of a tune($500+) with the heads and cam. Do it yourself andyou will save a bundle. im sure you have the time, the install will be the price of your bolt ons...
Old 05-12-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbullet_vette
not really sure what those numbers mean, im still learning all this
http://www.ls1howto.com
Check out the cam install section.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

LSA stands for lobe seperation angle which affects where in the power band you'll make peak power and your idle quality. 112 idles rougher than 114 and makes its peak power about 200 rpms sooner ie: if a 114 cam makes peak power at 6000 then a 112 with otherwise same specs will make peak power at 5800 and has a more lopey idle than the 114.

Duration is how long the valve stays open on mine its 222 intake and 224 exhaust in degrees at .050.

lift is how much the valve opens on mine its .566 intake and .568 exhaust.

so you have 222/224 .566/.568 and 112 degrees LSA on mine. thats how all cam specs you'll see on here will read intake first then exhaust.

Like I said earlier if you want I can install the cam and anything else you need on your car and I'll do it for fairly cheap too. I guarantee my work and have the creditials and experience to back it up too.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Be carefull with that thing, they can get up to dangerous speeds a lot sooner than you would think. Or at least in a lot less time than it feels like has passed.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Launching!

I just had a Comp Cam 216/220 (XR269HR) installed in my A4 C5 with 2003 LS6 heads, LS6 intake manifold, LS6 injectors, Dynatech Supermaxx headers with high flow cats and X-pipe, GHL Bullet catback, Blackwing, LS2 timing chain with a full dyno tune to come. I have 3:15 gears. I'm hoping for 360-380 rwhp (Y-bodies lose a little more through the drivetrain than the F-bodies do). Figuring a 20% drivetrain loss, that would put me between 450-475 fwhp. You may want to consider new injectors as the 1999 and 2000 C5s came with 26.2lb injectors, the smallest of all C5s. The 1997, 1998, and 2001 through 2004 LS1s and LS6s, all came with 28.8 lb injectors. That way, dependent upon your power output you won't be at 1 100% duty cycle on your injectors. Don't know if he has ant left, but Jason, at Texas speed and performance, was selling 28.8 lb take-offs, even mounted on a fuel rail, for $65 for the whole works. Can't beat that with a stick!
The cam is mild compared to many that people are running today. I wanted driveability, reliability, a decent idle, and decent mileage, with a substantial power increase, across the entire rpm band, from idle all the way to the top. The cam is rated from 1300-6300 rpm, ideal for my purposes as the car is shifting about 6400 rpm. Though nice, peak power was not my greatest concern. Increasing the area "under the curve" was. this cam does that. I drove the car with a "safe tune" in it, and it drives nice and does haul ***. Next week, when my tuner's dyno is reinstalled, it gets the full dyno tune. Can't wait! Good luck with yours. BTW, you should have gotten a cam card to tell you what that cam's various parameters are.
Ed
Old 05-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Launching!

is it a six speed or an automatic? glad your living your dream there is nothin better then bein young and drivin a cammed ls1 around, a vette at that..
Old 05-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by yungn
is it a six speed or an automatic? glad your living your dream there is nothin better then bein young and drivin a cammed ls1 around, a vette at that..

It's an A4 (auto). Thanks for the kind words, but, well, at 62, not too young anymore. However, yes, I am living my dream. Just got the Vette built up, am recently divorced, and have discovered that the older I get, the greater the number of available females out there, what with divorces, husbands dying, and, oh yes, the younger ones, too! So, my goal now is to just keep hangin' on and enjoy the ride (and the Vette,too)!
Ed
Old 05-14-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

If you check in the box your cam came in you should've got a spec sheet telling you the geometry of the cam.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Teching In

First off congrats, and don't be mad but, when I first was learning everything about ls1s or cars in general I asked questions just hoping to get answers quickly. the best tool is the As soon as you learn to navigate through it and pick out the stuff you need (trust me it will take a bit to know waht to look for and what to put in for the search) your answers will be answered much quicker then starting another thread and waiting for others to respond. However, if you do start a tech related thread like this, it is best to be as through on the mods as possible for there are a bunch of people (I can't begin to list,but you know who you are) that can help you on everything if you just give us the specs and/or descriptions of mods or questions you have. That being said you can make a ton of hp with these cars (especially going internal. Just remeber a few things "bigger is not always better" and at the end of the day there will always be someone that disagrees with you and/or is faster then you. Enjoy the ride and remeber you don't have to prove to everyone on the street that your fast, they know you already have an LS1