Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

replacing friction disc on fidanza flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default replacing friction disc on fidanza flywheel

I'm replacing the friction disc on a Fidanza aluminum flywheel and would like to know if the old hardware (nuts /bolts) would be okay to reuse. Or would you order new ones. Also, what is the torque on these. Using in a street 408 , rpm will not esceed 7k.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question I would like to know as well. I am uprgading my clutch this week and am going to replace my insert as well. I spoke to SPEC the other day about the insert and they said just unscrew it and install the new one. I would say make sure you use some typ of loctite. As for the torque I dont recall what the size of the botls-screws are. I thinks the average torque for a 3/16 is around 30-40 inch lbs and 1/4 80-105,. I am going to have my flywheel re- balanced as well, along with the clutch asyy just for good measures. As for reusing the hardware I dont see a problem as long as it is not damaged.

I am sure someone else will chime in on there last replacments.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:26 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As with other clutch and flywheel bolts, they can probably be reused once but not more than that. As cheap as they are, I would just replace them every time. Especally if that friction disk is burned, meaning the fasteners probably got overheated too and may be brittle now.

Very wise to get it balanced afterwards; I'm having one balanced right now and it was off new out of the box (not a large amount, though.)

Just curious, how much do they charge for a new friction disk?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cal
As with other clutch and flywheel bolts, they can probably be reused once but not more than that. As cheap as they are, I would just replace them every time. Especally if that friction disk is burned, meaning the fasteners probably got overheated too and may be brittle now.

Very wise to get it balanced afterwards; I'm having one balanced right now and it was off new out of the box (not a large amount, though.)

Just curious, how much do they charge for a new friction disk?
I paid $90 plus $15 s&h for the plate. How much to balance?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$50 to balance flywheel and presure plate at a local shop. Flywheel was pretty close; Spec presure plate was way off.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have a insert on the way as well, ???? did it come with new hardawre???

I see ARP makes bolts for the flywheel do they have any for the pressure plates. If not it looks like I will be headed to GM, for some stock replacments.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GM bolts are inexpensive. Why take a chance? The dealer can have them for you in a day or two if they aren't in stock.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kenp
The GM bolts are inexpensive. Why take a chance? The dealer can have them for you in a day or two if they aren't in stock.
The pressure plate bolts are .60 ea. and aren't included. As for the replacement fricrion disc on the flywheel, I did not receive the 20 nuts/bolts
Old 05-21-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99sscv
The pressure plate bolts are .60 ea. and aren't included. As for the replacement fricrion disc on the flywheel, I did not receive the 20 nuts/bolts
Do you recall what size and type of hardware used to mount the insert.???? Did you replace the hardware?
If so were did you get it?

Thanks any info would be great

Quick Reply: replacing friction disc on fidanza flywheel