Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finally sprayed my truck: got questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default finally sprayed my truck: got questions

After installing a wet kit on my truck and using the jets for a 100 shot, i went to a 1/8th mile track to test it out. First off, the track was terrible for traction. even with dr's. Also it had humps that wouldn't allow a clean n/a or nitrous pass.

n/a times were 9.2 at 74.4 mph (broke traction on the line)
nitrous runs were 9.0 at 79.9 mph (broke traction on the line and when i sprayed nitrous at 3K.

to me the mph looks good and i am sure the et isn't there because of traction issues. Am i right to assume this? I know i can get better results on a better track.

Now here is the part that is kinda got me clueless. I can hit my switch to spray nitrous and sometimes it doesn't feel like it hits. Would low bottle pressure make it feel like that? i do have a bottle warmer but my damn pressure switch broke the day of install so i am having to manually flip on the heater and what not. My wiring looks good. I have been over with other people a few times and everything appears to be in order.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by goshawk23
Now here is the part that is kinda got me clueless. I can hit my switch to spray nitrous and sometimes it doesn't feel like it hits. Would low bottle pressure make it feel like that? i do have a bottle warmer but my damn pressure switch broke the day of install so i am having to manually flip on the heater and what not. My wiring looks good. I have been over with other people a few times and everything appears to be in order.
Low bottle pressure will have all kinds of effects like you've described. Best bet is to get a replacement switch and a pressure gauge if possible.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you using a Fuel Pressure Safety Switch(Hobbs) switch?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Truck addict

i have ordered a gauge and will be getting a new heater switch.

as far as the fpss, i have one but not installed.

i went out earlier and checked over stuff and every thing seems to be in order. i went down the road and tried shooting it and it didn't feel like it hit at all. i let the bottle warm up for about 3 to 4 minutes with the warmer.

i am gonna pull the nozzle out and take the fuel line off and see if the nitrous is spraying. then do the same for the fuel.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

make sure you have a full bottle...... most will weigh about 25 lbs when full(with a 10 lb bottle at least) I think a 15lb is closer to 35 lbs
Old 05-16-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm having a simular issue with my system on a TBI. I've used nitrous for 20 years on just about everything. I presently have a 150hp kit on my C5, and am running the 125hp jets on the street. When I hit the switch, it hits like a HAMMER and feels a little like a fighter on afterburners for as long as you can leave hold it down.
I'm running a 130hp on my 350 TBI and you can barely feel it when activated. It certainly isn't 100hp to the wheels.
I had this happen once before on a C3 vette, and it turned out to be a crimp in the nitrous feed line (from bottle to solenoid) I change the line it and it fixed it.
I have found a small place that looks crimped in the line on the truck, so I will try the fix. Take a look at your line and nitrous filter
Old 05-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Truck addict

I'll check the lines to make sure nothing is wrong.

here is what i did. I pulled the nozzle out, disconnected the fuel line from it, and armed the system but only for nitrous. i pushed with my finger, the wot switch, lots of nitrous come spraying out like it should be. then i added the fuel line, wrapped a rag around the nozzle and pushed the wot switch again, it sprayed once again and fuel came out.

I went down the road to test it and nothing. My throttle is hitting the wot switch perfectly.

I am gonna pull it back out and use the throttle blade to make contact with the switch just to see if there is a problem there. at this point i am thinking there is a problem with the switch. It does have a third male connector on it that i don't have any wires running to it. could it somehow need that third wire for a ground? but it has sprayed before while on the road.

sorry this **** is so long.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

One time i tried this trick without holding the nitrous line
I'll check the lines to make sure nothing is wrong.

here is what i did. I pulled the nozzle out, disconnected the fuel line from it, and armed the system but only for nitrous. i pushed with my finger, the wot switch, lots of nitrous come spraying out like it should be. then i added the fuel line, wrapped a rag around the nozzle and pushed the wot switch again, it sprayed once again and fuel came out.

I went down the road to test it and nothing. My throttle is hitting the wot switch perfectly.

I am gonna pull it back out and use the throttle blade to make contact with the switch just to see if there is a problem there. at this point i am thinking there is a problem with the switch. It does have a third male connector on it that i don't have any wires running to it. could it somehow need that third wire for a ground? but it has sprayed before while on the road.

sorry this **** is so long.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Truck addict

just checked everything again, and it is spraying. At this point i have no clue. What i did tho was take a small square piece of metal and super glued it to the micro switch so when the throttle comes down on it there is no chance of it slipping off.

I am gonna go see what that does. hopefully it works.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

3-4 minutes of heat time?

Thats not nearly long enough. Heaters only heat at about 50psi every 5 minutes,(depending on wattage, bottle size, heater mfg, outside temp, etc)

If you bottle starts at 60deg, then pressure is only at around 600psi. You would need as much as 30min of heat time to bring it up to temp.
Hope this helps,
Vinny

i have ordered a gauge and will be getting a new heater switch.

as far as the fpss, i have one but not installed.

i went out earlier and checked over stuff and every thing seems to be in order. i went down the road and tried shooting it and it didn't feel like it hit at all. i let the bottle warm up for about 3 to 4 minutes with the warmer.

i am gonna pull the nozzle out and take the fuel line off and see if the nitrous is spraying. then do the same for the fuel.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Truck addict

damn, that long. i have been scared to heat it cause i didn't want the burst disc to blow on me. i did get the microswitch problem solved. i glued a piece of metal to it and now my tb don't hit it and slide it to the side.

i drove from my house to slidell, la a few minutes ago letting the bottle warm up all the way there, then tested it on the way home and it hit nice...so i can't wait for a pressure gauge to come in so i can see.

thanks for the help guys