PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When the battery voltage gets below a certain number, does the idle go high? (2000+?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When the battery voltage gets below a certain number, does the idle go high? (2000+?)

I know theres a couple variables here... but after I swapped intakes, my idle is stupidly high. If I unplug the IAC it settles nicely to 850 rpm. Also, the voltage guage on the dash shows the voltage where it starts turning red. I looked at HPT and it says PCM voltage is 11.5. I then took a flashlight and looked at the alternator wiring. It looks like when I swapped the intake, I disturbed some wiring clusterfuck that MTI did with the inline 4 wire plug on the alternator. Theres some electrical tape and it looks like somethign came disconnected.

I can fix the alternator wiring and work that out. But is this stupid idle thing related? I drove the car around with the IAC unplugged and I liked it more that way A 2000 rpm idle is LAME with a loud exhaust.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plug on the alternator only triggers a warning light if the alternator isn't working correctly (from what I've read). It shouldn't have anything to do with the actualy operation of the alternator (unless you have a '98, then it needs a resistor or a bulb in line).
Maybe there was a loose wire somewhere in the charging system?

I had a loose wire coming from the alternator, and the car idled fine down to about 8.5 volts when it finally died.

Ben

Originally Posted by Visceral
I know theres a couple variables here... but after I swapped intakes, my idle is stupidly high. If I unplug the IAC it settles nicely to 850 rpm. Also, the voltage guage on the dash shows the voltage where it starts turning red. I looked at HPT and it says PCM voltage is 11.5. I then took a flashlight and looked at the alternator wiring. It looks like when I swapped the intake, I disturbed some wiring clusterfuck that MTI did with the inline 4 wire plug on the alternator. Theres some electrical tape and it looks like somethign came disconnected.

I can fix the alternator wiring and work that out. But is this stupid idle thing related? I drove the car around with the IAC unplugged and I liked it more that way A 2000 rpm idle is LAME with a loud exhaust.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after I swapped intakes
you have a leak somewhere.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blackbird
you have a leak somewhere.
vaccum leak
Old 05-16-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually, when the car is sitting for more than 3-5 seconds, it nicely decends to 850 rpm. If I unplug the IAC, I can drive around all the time, though I have to be careful of it stalling every once in awhile. But it doesnt rev up.

How would unplugging the IAC fix a vacuum leak?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Have you logged the IAC Counts?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

the lamest thing of all time is the inability of my HPT to log IAC pintle count. It shows it (and anything else I choose other than the standard PIDs) as 0.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I worked the issue out.

The PCM ground on the back of the Driver's side head was broken off when I was fishing the brake-booster hose through.

I re-wired it and everything it happy again, including the indicated voltage on the dash.