Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help me tune My VE Table With HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Please Help me tune My VE Table With HP Tuners

I am having issues with my LTFT's that I dont seem to see anybody really having(Everyone is in the plus's)I am driving down the road and I am seeing -12.0% to -16.0% LTFT's.But how ever my Idle is consistant at -1.6 to -2.3?So My questions are #1 Is this fixable with VE tuning?I have to log some data to see what kPa I am at.#2 On the Histogram Can I save the Data for later veiwing?#3 In HPT ,On the Histogram I know the numbers on the left of the Chart is kPa but the numbers on top what does this value represent?Thanks Guys....
Scott
Old 05-16-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Mouse
I am having issues with my LTFT's that I dont seem to see anybody really having(Everyone is in the plus's)I am driving down the road and I am seeing -12.0% to -16.0% LTFT's.But how ever my Idle is consistant at -1.6 to -2.3?So My questions are #1 Is this fixable with VE tuning?I have to log some data to see what kPa I am at.#2 On the Histogram Can I save the Data for later veiwing?#3 In HPT ,On the Histogram I know the numbers on the left of the Chart is kPa but the numbers on top what does this value represent?Thanks Guys....
Scott
1) yes
2) yes
3) rpms

to elaborate more on #2: after you stop logging go to SCAN>SAVE DATA AS
Old 05-16-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by txhorns281
1) yes
2) yes
3) rpms

to elaborate more on #2: after you stop logging go to SCAN>SAVE DATA AS
Ditto what he said, and to elaborate even more on #2... save the data before you shut your car off.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

txhorns281 thanx for the Help.I have got some Data logged ,but I dont have the Histogram.So tomorrow I will get another.My laptop screwed up when I tried to save it.Anyway most of the area's I covered the LTFT's were just about all -12.0's.So when I get another table in these area's How to I go about setting the VE?Do I Take half that value which would be 6% and times these area's by .94 ?Thanks again....
Scott
Old 05-16-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
Ditto what he said, and to elaborate even more on #2... save the data before you shut your car off.
LS1 Sounds Where the Heck were you on Sunday I found this out the hard way LOL
Old 05-16-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't tell you how many times I've done this even after I figured it out! I did find out though... if you shut the car off you can still save the data at least while the radio is playing. I guess the PCM is powered as long as the other accessories have power? You know how you can operate them for a few minutes after turning off the key, but opening the door kills the acc. power? This has saved my data a few times!
Old 05-16-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

txhorns281 thanx for the Help.I have got some Data logged ,but I dont have the Histogram.So tomorrow I will get another.My laptop screwed up when I tried to save it.Anyway most of the area's I covered the LTFT's were just about all -12.0's.So when I get another table in these area's How to I go about setting the VE?Do I Take half that value which would be 6% and times these area's by .94 ?Thanks again....
Scott
Here's a way describe in the stickies. Copy LTFT in histogram, then in VE table right click, then special paste, then add. It will automaticaly add your + and - correctly. Then save to bin. Might have to do a couple times. A much easier way to do it. I've done three ways and this is by far the fastest. then you can also go to 3D and smooth peaks and valleys.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, if you saved your log files from previous runs you can open them back up in the scanner at a later date, turn on the histogram display, right-click it, and select Load All Data. Also right-click and make sure that Average is selected.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robert56
Here's a way describe in the stickies. Copy LTFT in histogram, then in VE table right click, then special paste, then add. It will automaticaly add your + and - correctly. Then save to bin. Might have to do a couple times. A much easier way to do it. I've done three ways and this is by far the fastest. then you can also go to 3D and smooth peaks and valleys.
One other thing to watch for on the 1999s: I think your PCM uses the Secondary VE table when in SD mode, that's the way my 1998 is at least. You'll want to make your adjustments to this table, just be aware that it is half the resolution of the Primary so make sure you're copying and pasting the correct rows!

I like to copy the Histogram, then Paste Special Add the values to the Primary VE table so all of the cells match up correctly. After the Primary table is fixed, copy only the corresponding rows into the Secondary table. This is the easiest way I've found to do it. After my tune is all finished and the MAF is re-connected, I plan on returning the secondary VE table back to stock values.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Robert56
Thanks for that info,This will help alot I wish I had more time to read stuff here...
Scott
Old 05-16-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Oh, if you saved your log files from previous runs you can open them back up in the scanner at a later date, turn on the histogram display, right-click it, and select Load All Data. Also right-click and make sure that Average is selected.
Thanks LS1 sounds ,Then I probably have It!That would rock,I had no Idea you could do this

Scott
Old 05-16-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

One other thing to watch for on the 1999s: I think your PCM uses the Secondary VE table when in SD mode, that's the way my 1998 is at least. You'll want to make your adjustments to this table, just be aware that it is half the resolution of the Primary so make sure you're copying and pasting the correct rows!

I like to copy the Histogram, then Paste Special Add the values to the Primary VE table so all of the cells match up correctly. After the Primary table is fixed, copy only the corresponding rows into the Secondary table. This is the easiest way I've found to do it. After my tune is all finished and the MAF is re-connected, I plan on returning the secondary VE table back to stock values.
Ok call me stupid But what is the SD mode?I also never knew the car also runs on the seccondary VE table?But I do get how you paste to the secondary though...Thanks!
Old 05-16-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok call me stupid But what is the SD mode?I also never knew the car also runs on the seccondary VE table?But I do get how you paste to the secondary though...Thanks!
SD = Speed Density. This is the mode the PCM defaults to when it see's a MAF sensor failure. This is the mode the PCM goes into when you unplug the MAF sensor or set the MAF Fail Freq to 0.

98 - 00 model PCM's use a primary and secondary VE table and defaults to the secondary when in SD mode.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

So to do this VE tuning Correct,I will have to Disconnect the MAF.I read another post from LS1 Sounds how to do this without unplugging it.as soon as I disconnect my MAF the car dies....
Old 05-16-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

So to do this VE tuning Correct,I will have to Disconnect the MAF.I read another post from LS1 Sounds how to do this without unplugging it.as soon as I disconnect my MAF the car dies....
You can unplug it, but I would recommend setting the MAF Fail Freq to 0 instead. You will need the MAF plugged in when you get to recalibrating the MAF table.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

After my tune is all finished and the MAF is re-connected, I plan on returning the secondary VE table back to stock values.
If you do this, should your MAF fail your fueling will not be optimized. If you're lightly modded it may not matter, but for beefier setups, it is a good idea for your secondary to be well tuned. If you plan to reconnect your MAF, the whole point of tuning the VE is to have an accurate map of airflow to transpose into a MAF curve. So if your MAF ever fails, wouldn't you want your backup airflow readings to be close to your MAF metering?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will need to spot up your initial VE tune to get it running in SD mode then. And whether you disconnect the MAF, or have the PCM ignore the MAF signal, it will still give you the same crappy fueling at startup until you get you're idle areas inline a bit.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by txhorns281
If you do this, should your MAF fail your fueling will not be optimized. If you're lightly modded it may not matter, but for beefier setups, it is a good idea for your secondary to be well tuned. If you plan to reconnect your MAF, the whole point of tuning the VE is to have an accurate map of airflow to transpose into a MAF curve. So if your MAF ever fails, wouldn't you want your backup airflow readings to be close to your MAF metering?
Good call, I hadn't thought of it this way... My stuff is never supposed to fail though.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pro Mouse, have you checked out the article in this thread? It's very informative! There are some more good sticky threads about tuning VE on the HP Tuners message board.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Question

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
You can unplug it, but I would recommend setting the MAF Fail Freq to 0 instead. You will need the MAF plugged in when you get to recalibrating the MAF table.
Ok I would do this if I knew how?Where is the MAF Fail Freq at?Thanks!

Quick Reply: Please Help me tune My VE Table With HP Tuners