Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam swap ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cam swap ???

When talking about a cam swap my dad said he didnt like that I would be putting a new cam into old bearings. He knows alot about cars but hes not up to date with engines like the ls1. Is this something to be concerned about?
Old 05-17-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just from reading countless threads on cam swaps, i think that you'll be just fine with the stock cam bearings. if you ever had metal in your oil during an oil change then that might be something to worry about. i have a cam in my car with the original bearings and i have friends who have been riding around for a while with no trouble on the original bearings so go for it dude. the cam swap is pretty straight forward and you'll be happy you did it.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all is well you are perfectly fine on old bearings for a simple cam swap. A little of my input on doing a cam swap is in my sig.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

People do it here all the time without problems, including myself. You'll be ok.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slowscott
When talking about a cam swap my dad said he didnt like that I would be putting a new cam into old bearings. He knows alot about cars but hes not up to date with engines like the ls1. Is this something to be concerned about?
Does your dad drive a mustang?

J/K

Matt
Old 05-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are people that have had several different cams in the engine with the same bearings. My engine is on it's third cam if you count the stock cam. The bearing that starts getting messed up after a lot of cam swaps is the one right in the front of the engine. So be careful not to nick it with the cam lobes. They are quite sharp. Tell your dad that the cam bearings on an LS1 are larger than on old school engines.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ole1830
Does your dad drive a mustang?

J/K

Matt
haha no but, the last small block he worked on was from 75.

thanks for the info guys
Old 05-18-2005, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Just a note:
Larry at LS1 speed called me yesterday with an update on my car. Among other somewhat expected things I had a cracked flywheel. I can only assume that jamming a screwdriver into it in order to hold the crank to remove/installed the crank bolt is what did that........
If you have an automatic and do a cam swap without the proper flywheel locking tool, just because many other people get away with it doens't mean you will. I had a cracked flywheel and didn't even know. I wonder how long it could have gone before it flew apart....
Old 05-18-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Just a note:
Larry at LS1 speed called me yesterday with an update on my car. Among other somewhat expected things I had a cracked flywheel. I can only assume that jamming a screwdriver into it in order to hold the crank to remove/installed the crank bolt is what did that........
If you have an automatic and do a cam swap without the proper flywheel locking tool, just because many other people get away with it doens't mean you will. I had a cracked flywheel and didn't even know. I wonder how long it could have gone before it flew apart....
thanks for the warning but mines a manual. That means I can just put it in gear right?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the warning but mines a manual. That means I can just put it in gear right?
Yup. 4th probably best.Should also have parking brake on and wheels blocked, but thats a given if you are jacking it up anyway.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Since this will be my first time doing a swap about how long should it take? I have a lift if that means anything.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

Since this will be my first time doing a swap about how long should it take? I have a lift if that means anything.
Anywhere from one very long day to a week. It all depends. Count on at least two days. IT all comes down to how many bumps you hit along the way, lol. Having a lift, a GOOD spring tool, all other tools and supplies required and an extra set of hands will help.