Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

quiet down a Pro 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Default quiet down a Pro 5.0?

Hey, I've done a search but can't find anything, so here it goes. Does anyone know a good way to quiet down a Pro 5.0? It gets a little annoying sometimes when I've got the cutout closed and the windows up. I didn't cut the boot when I installed it, but I'd still like to quiet it down a little. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a few thick layers of electrical tape around the stick of mine. It helped A LOT.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Onyx Z
I put a few thick layers of electrical tape around the stick of mine. It helped A LOT.
Around the stick? What about the base? Never thought about that, I was thinking maybe some kind of insulation.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

I just put it around the stick, the base is still as it was before. The tape is acting as an insulation from noise. It still makes some noise, but not nearly as much as before.

They tell you to cut the lower boot (keeps noise and heat out) in order for the shifter to fit correctly, which is why the shifter is so much louder than others.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

You can fix the vibration to the point where it sounds like the stock shifter. Go to pep boys and buy a roll of paper gasket material. Cut out a gasket for the base of the shifter (gasket will go in between shifter base and tranny) using your stock shifter if you still have it. Install the gasket, this will eliminate a lot of the vibration/noise. If you want it quieter still, you'll have to go buy some longer bolts (the bolts that hold the stick to the shifter) and two nuts to go with them. The bolts only have to be about 1/2" longer, this extra 1/2" should stick out on the passenger's side of the shifter, then just put the nuts on the extra threads and tighten them down. This will have your shifter very quiet.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Here are a couple of pics in case my explanation wasn't very clear.
Attached Thumbnails quiet down a Pro 5.0?-shifter1.jpg   quiet down a Pro 5.0?-shifter2.jpg  

Last edited by Krab; 05-19-2005 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

i did the same thing as krab. went to autozone and the guy took me in back and let me pick out a roll of gasket material. i cut a peice about the size of the shifter base and poked a hole for the shifter ball. then i marked the 4 bolt holes and drilled them out. trimmed up the edges to match the shifter base and made sure the ball had freedom of movement. also make sure your handle isnt resting on the stops. kev
Old 05-19-2005, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats weird.

A friend let me borrow his and it doesn't make any noise

I didn't cut the boot, just slipped it over the stick and bolts and used some RTV on the base to seal it to the tranny.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Exclamation No, no, no...

Originally Posted by sscam68
Thats weird.

A friend let me borrow his and it doesn't make any noise

I didn't cut the boot, just slipped it over the stick and bolts and used some RTV on the base to seal it to the tranny.
I don't want to come across as an ***, but just trying to be informative and helpful...

THIS is how you ruin your tranny. By NOT cutting the boot you have now left the entire shifting mechanism exposed to the underside of the car. Below the shift boot is the tranny (hence, you can see the tranny when you take off the boot). Water, debris, oil, and other crap gets tossed around under your car and WILL end up on the underside of the boot. If it ends up there, you can be assured it will end up in the shifter which is open to the top of the transmission (where the fluid flows through the tranny).

Take a look and decide for yourself, but I'll take a lil more noise if it means my tranny is protected from grit, debris, water, etc.

Hope this helps!

- Jeff
Old 05-19-2005, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws6firehawk109
I don't want to come across as an ***, but just trying to be informative and helpful...

THIS is how you ruin your tranny. By NOT cutting the boot you have now left the entire shifting mechanism exposed to the underside of the car. Below the shift boot is the tranny (hence, you can see the tranny when you take off the boot). Water, debris, oil, and other crap gets tossed around under your car and WILL end up on the underside of the boot. If it ends up there, you can be assured it will end up in the shifter which is open to the top of the transmission (where the fluid flows through the tranny).

Take a look and decide for yourself, but I'll take a lil more noise if it means my tranny is protected from grit, debris, water, etc.

Hope this helps!

- Jeff
No, not an *** at all

I'll tear into it this weekend.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:16 AM
Teching In

No, not an *** at all

I'll tear into it this weekend.

Someone, feel free to tell me if I'm wrong, but I know when I took my boot off, this is what i found (glad i had already cut it to protect things).

SSCam68 - you said your friend let you "BORROW" it, lol. If you cut the boot then your stock shift won't be sealed correctly if you ever put that one back on or any shifter that uses the "stock" boot shape - Just something to keep in mind if you plan on giving it back to him.

ALSO, before you go digging out all the parts in your console, etc, etc. Take a look under your car and if you can get a hand up in there above the tranny and feel around in the boot to see if there is much crap up there. I'd hate to have you do all this if you are the kinda person that drives it on a Clear/Dry/Sunday afternoon to the corner and back and it will never really see any bad days, roads, rain, snow, etc.

Just trying to help, but DEF. don't want to scare someone into more work that is useless for their application.

- Jeff
Old 05-20-2005, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by USMARINE1108
Hey, I've done a search but can't find anything, so here it goes. Does anyone know a good way to quiet down a Pro 5.0? It gets a little annoying sometimes when I've got the cutout closed and the windows up. I didn't cut the boot when I installed it, but I'd still like to quiet it down a little. Thanks.
I know you probably don't wanna hear this, but....lol

Get a new pilot bearing. After replacing mine, it was a NIGHT and DAY difference between the shifter noise. If your pilot bearing is worn it, it translates noise to the input shaft which just transfers it down the line into the tranny and ultimately to the shifter.

It is DEF. a P.I.T.A. and probably not worth it at this point. But when you finally go to a new clutch and wonder if you should change the pilot, you should.

Hope that helps a lil bit as well. I know when I put mine in, i did all the elec. tape, tighter bolts, gaskets, etc and yes it worked SOME, but there was still plenty of noise. Changing the pilot was prob. the biggest difference.

- Jeff
Old 05-20-2005, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Someone, feel free to tell me if I'm wrong, but I know when I took my boot off, this is what i found (glad i had already cut it to protect things).

SSCam68 - you said your friend let you "BORROW" it, lol. If you cut the boot then your stock shift won't be sealed correctly if you ever put that one back on or any shifter that uses the "stock" boot shape - Just something to keep in mind if you plan on giving it back to him.

ALSO, before you go digging out all the parts in your console, etc, etc. Take a look under your car and if you can get a hand up in there above the tranny and feel around in the boot to see if there is much crap up there. I'd hate to have you do all this if you are the kinda person that drives it on a Clear/Dry/Sunday afternoon to the corner and back and it will never really see any bad days, roads, rain, snow, etc.

Just trying to help, but DEF. don't want to scare someone into more work that is useless for their application.

- Jeff
No, you're right. And it didn't occur to me with all the dirt under there when I swapped it out. Actually when I pulled the tranny (put in a built unit).

My buddy is converting his car to an M6 so he's getting all kinds of different parts shipped to him. Shifter was one of the first things that arrived so we decided to test it out on my car, just to see what the difference would be.

Wow, literally night and day!

Irregardless I am buying my own here really soon. In fact, I just might buy one and give it to him.

Seriously though, you make it sound like its pretty bad. I would figure even with the boot I would be able to hear it. When it was first installed you could here a slight noise, but even that was on occasion.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

I quieted mine down by putting on the SLP Loudmouth. Can't hear the shifter at all anymore.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Seriously though, you make it sound like its pretty bad. I would figure even with the boot I would be able to hear it. When it was first installed you could here a slight noise, but even that was on occasion.

Well the only reason I make is sound like it's a pretty bad noise is because mine was pretty F'in loud, lol. The rattle was like there was a kid in the back seat shakin his baby rattle or something to that effect.

As I said earlier, my pilot bearing was the biggest culprit. With that changed out, things are much quieter - prob. the way MOST people have theirs now. It's loud enough to hear it under heavy throttle, but that's to be expected...go fast, etc doesn't usually = quieter.

- Jeff
Old 05-22-2005, 02:25 AM
11 Second Club

Well the only reason I make is sound like it's a pretty bad noise is because mine was pretty F'in loud, lol. The rattle was like there was a kid in the back seat shakin his baby rattle or something to that effect.

As I said earlier, my pilot bearing was the biggest culprit. With that changed out, things are much quieter - prob. the way MOST people have theirs now. It's loud enough to hear it under heavy throttle, but that's to be expected...go fast, etc doesn't usually = quieter.

- Jeff
Well, I swapped in my old shifter and for sht's-n-giggles and I tried to use the dust boot from the original shifter on the Pro 5.0 and to my amazement it fit! A little tighter than the stocker, especially where the stops are, but the boot could be cut to alleviate some of the pressure.

I didn't get a chance to take a pic.

Quick Reply: quiet down a Pro 5.0?