Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

HELP!!! Need quick info

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP!!! Need quick info

Ok, I have a major dilema here. My d*ckhead parents, decide to tell me that they offered to lend my car to my aunt for the day while I'm at school! So they finally worked me over to say ok fine-I was pissed and terrified for my car, but al she did was drive it to work and back, i guessed no biggy, and they even offered to pay for a tank of gas for it (oh boy)

So I finally said "FINE" since she usually uses her sons car (my cousins) to get to work and now it is in the shop. My cousin had a job interview so he needed my aunts minivan. My cousin came to pick it up with her, he asked what kinda fuel it took (HES THE SMART ONE) I told them Premium 92-^ Octane nothing less. He says no big deal-now he's always used premium, but he was not eligible to drive my car so my aunt HAD to take it. Anywho, so she takes it to work out in Romeoville 30 min away, and fills up the tank 3/4 mark (7.429 gallons added) w/ REGULAR UNLEADED 87 octane after I already had told them Premium.

I come home from shcool, cars sitting there, I'm thinking thank God it's home...and the whole time I said I hope they remembered to use premium, ALL DAY I thought to myself this same thing- especially since I am installing LT's, new spark plugs, and wires, and then taking it and getting a DynoTune by speed Inc next Wednesday. I had to put the car in the garage, i get in and find the receipt. $2.019 @ gallon, 7.429 gallons, $15.00- I thought to myself "Oh, No!" I start it up, hesitates, then fires. Now i was getting worried, started to move it and it felt sluggish, and heard some engine knock and my car for some reason-when i cahnge fuel octanes the sound changes (yes i know maybe weird but before when my parents had first been driving it used 87 octane and once i switched over i noticed a big difference)

I am 15 gonna be 16 in july so the car is not driven much. Will the mixture of the 2 fuels combine and make like a midgrade fuel? will the 87 octane burn up faster then the premium in there or will it still be in there? do i run the tank bone dry or what?!?! What should I do? PLEASE HELP I NEED TO KNOW!!

Word of Advice-TRUST NO ONE!
sorry for length as well
thanks in advance

Adam

THANKS!!! For the info, Mods can delete this thread

Last edited by 02WS6Bird; 05-27-2005 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

you are freeking out
Your car well be fine, drive it untile the mix gas is out and start back with your 92 again. the computers react to the different typs of fuel and learn it going from 92 to a mix of say 89-90 may make the sounds because the timeing is for the 92 that the computer is used to if will figure it out thw more cyles of the ignition. so if you are relly worried (should not be) then drive the old gas out and put good stuff in it you will not hurt anything. if really worried trry to get old gas out with smallest amount of cycles of the ignition or thats what i have been told...... but i have ran shitty gas and good gas would probly still run shitty untile rase time but car will not idle with bad gas + air conditioner + cam
Old 05-25-2005, 08:20 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try putting in some of the 'octane boost' stuff that you can get at places such as Autozone, just to get through this tank of it

Another option if you're really concerned would be to manually drain the tank
Old 05-25-2005, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

can someone explain to me the fuel mixture concept-maybe that will worry me less

do they combine and make like a mid-grade fuel like the average 87+92/93= 179/180 divided by 2 = 89.5/90 ?

or will the 87 octane burn more quickly? or will it be there even if i was to not pretty much run the car to Empty? or what? will the 92 run out first since it was on the bottom or what?

I'm mainly concerned with the minor engine knock and the dyno tune needs
Old 05-25-2005, 09:13 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide to drive it out asap, it'd be better to do it with smooth highway driving instead of stop-and-go in-town driving.

Info on mixing octanes:
http://www.nastyz28.com/~ericf/tech/gasfaq.pdf
6.15 Can I mix different octane fuel grades?

Yes, however attempts to blend in your fuel tank should be carefully planned. You should not allow the tank to become empty, and then add 50% of lower octane, followed by 50% of higher octane. The fuels may not completely mix immediately, especially if there is a density difference. You may get a slug of low octane that causes severe knock. You should refill when your tank is half full. In general the octane response will be linear for most hydrocarbon and oxygenated fuels eg 50:50 of 87 and 91 will give 89.

Attempts to mix leaded high octane to unleaded high octane to obtain higher octane are useless for most commercial gasolines. The lead response of the unleaded fuel does not overcome the dilution effect, thus 50:50 of 96 leaded and 91 unleaded will give 94. Some blends of oxygenated fuels with ordinary gasoline can result in undesirable increases in volatility due to volatile azeotropes, and some oxygenates can have negative lead responses. The octane requirement of some engines is determined by the need to avoid run-on, not to avoid knock.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Jesus Christ! I'm glad when I was 15 everything had carbureturs. Dude, don't freak out over some minor bullshit. The people that you read on hear that freak out about a couple of octane points or a .15 different fuel/air ratio are running ridiculous compression, and/or boost on motors making at least 3 times the power that you have. GM has been blessing us for the last 10 or 15 years with engine components that will hold up to a ludicrous amount of abuse before failure.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:26 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks fellas-Yeah i know now that I may have freaked out a lil much about it-I just got worried because of the dynotune and what not-was afraid that it would have to be tuned to that-and once the 92/93 was back in it wouldnt act right or something-who knows...thanks for all the info- It hasn't been knocking since the 1st day so thats a plus. So I'm oing everything to just run it out and then try to run it through to another fill up b4 wednesday or should i say tuesday night.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Relax...remember...Woooo Saaaaaa (oh, don't forget to rub the earlobes (lol).

Seriously, in a week you'll never know the difference.

i use the low grade junk in my Z28 and it runs BETTER than on the premium! Why? Beats the F*** outta me and I don't care
Old 05-27-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
Thanks fellas-Yeah i know now that I may have freaked out a lil much about it-I just got worried because of the dynotune and what not-was afraid that it would have to be tuned to that-and once the 92/93 was back in it wouldnt act right or something-who knows...thanks for all the info- It hasn't been knocking since the 1st day so thats a plus. So I'm oing everything to just run it out and then try to run it through to another fill up b4 wednesday or should i say tuesday night.
Well something similar happened to me. I had a dream my mom needed the truck, when I got it back I romped on it as I usually do, then when I get home, my mom said she put 87 in it. I then woke up sweating! Anyhoo, you're fine, just don't do any high RPM driving with that 87 in there.
Philip S.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Launching!

so it would be ok if some moron put regular insted of premium in my tank? stupid NJ and not being able to pump your own gas.