Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing removal???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pilot bearing removal???

Just in from the garage...How in the $#%%@#$$ do you remove this PITA?????????????????? Any tricks? I have been using a slide hammer up to this point and NOTHING but a mangled pilot. If anyone could give me some ideas I would GREATTTLY APRRECIATE IT!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

not to hijack, but anyone have pics of what a pilot bearing looks like?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Michael Ozorowsky
not to hijack, but anyone have pics of what a pilot bearing looks like?
Its a bearing that sits in the end of the crank.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

Come on guys I know you some of you do this all the time...

Need tips!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/330317-pilot-beang-removal.html
Old 06-02-2005, 09:46 AM
8 Second Club

Go to Auto Zone and rent a bearing puller and be careful, it is tricky sometimes but it is not impossible.

Matt
Old 06-02-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

ya I saw that already. Thx though...I was looking over at ls1.com and they recommended using a "Blind hole puller" I have called around to autozone and nothing yet...I'll keep you guys posted
Old 06-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vertigo
ya I saw that already. Thx though...I was looking over at ls1.com and they recommended using a "Blind hole puller" I have called around to autozone and nothing yet...I'll keep you guys posted

blind hole puller worked for me. Got it from autozone.
It might be a fairly new tool at some of the autozones.
Make sure they know what they are looking for. They had to ask the manager when i got it from them. I was also the first person to use the tool.
Good luck, trying to find a tool to pull the bearing out set me back like 3 days during my clutch install.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99hawk409
blind hole puller worked for me. Got it from autozone.
It might be a fairly new tool at some of the autozones.
Make sure they know what they are looking for. They had to ask the manager when i got it from them. I was also the first person to use the tool.
Good luck, trying to find a tool to pull the bearing out set me back like 3 days during my clutch install.
Ya man same here. I had the trans and clutch/flywheel out of the car in 4hrs!! Everything is ready to go in but I'm hung up on this POS pilot bearing... However I think i found what i need...thx!!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vertigo
Ya man same here. I had the trans and clutch/flywheel out of the car in 4hrs!! Everything is ready to go in but I'm hung up on this POS pilot bearing... However I think i found what i need...thx!!

don't forget to post an update!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I rented a pilot bearing removal tool from Autozone. I had to grind a little bit on it to make it fit in the pilot bearing. Just crank the tool down inside the pilot bearing and attach the slide hammer. Few loud bangs and it came out.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

I did the same thing with the sl;ide hammer but the bearing would NOT BUDGE! I ended up ripping out the needles and inner section only. I tried to the slide hammer more and hammered as hard as I could (and almost broke my wrists) but the outer shell would not move at all.

long story short, my friend works at a car shop, and he let me borrow a puller. the tip that goes into/behind the bearing is the same but there are 2 arms that press against the flywheel/crank and you just ratchet a bolt to pull it out. I sat the 2 fingers tight inside the bearing and started cranking, and it came right out. It might have been a snap on tool. I dont have a pic of it though, sorry.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigSteele
I did the same thing with the sl;ide hammer but the bearing would NOT BUDGE! I ended up ripping out the needles and inner section only. I tried to the slide hammer more and hammered as hard as I could (and almost broke my wrists) but the outer shell would not move at all.

long story short, my friend works at a car shop, and he let me borrow a puller. the tip that goes into/behind the bearing is the same but there are 2 arms that press against the flywheel/crank and you just ratchet a bolt to pull it out. I sat the 2 fingers tight inside the bearing and started cranking, and it came right out. It might have been a snap on tool. I dont have a pic of it though, sorry.
Looked like this didn't it!

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kkhan/Ja...s/SK_92522.jpg

Old 06-03-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

All is good in the hood....it came right out with the blind hole puller!

Thx guys!
Old 06-07-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just for future reference...this sounds goofy, but I have done 2 pilot bearings this way and it works perfect every time w/o doing any damage to the old bearing and anyone can do it w/o any special tools.

1. Go in your house and get a roll of toilet paper and a cup of water.
2. Put a few squares of toiler paper in the water...then jam it into the center of the bearing.
3. Keep packing the wet paper in there until it's flush with the outer edge of the bearing.
4. Grab your 10mm nutdriver and stick it in the center of the bearing and start hammering on the end of the nutdriver.
5. You will pack the paper in there pretty good, so keep adding more wet paper and keep packing it in there.
6. Based in the principles of hydraulics, when you apply pressure to the nutdriver it puts pressure on the wet paper and it pushes out on the bearing.
7. Once you get so it wont move anymore, add more wet paper. Keep doing this until the bearing is out.
8. Sometimes it takes a beefy hammer to get some good whacks in to move it. Some people have used grease instead of toilet paper, but when I tried it, it just seeped around the edges of the bearing...but it has worked for others. Happy bearing removal!
Old 06-08-2005, 06:37 AM
TECH Regular

Dont our cranks have a freezeplug in them? Wouldnt this method increase the chance of knocking it in?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AW794
Dont our cranks have a freezeplug in them? Wouldnt this method increase the chance of knocking it in?
yes it would.

I'm sure it's just a case by case thing but i tried the grease AND TP methods and neither one budged my pilot bearing.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AW794
Yup there is a freeze plug so you can't take the hydrolic (spelling) approch...But yes that way has work in all my other cars!! Thx man!
Old 06-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harbor Frieght sells a cheap-*** pilot bearing puller that works great after you grind it down a bit.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt have any problems with the freeze plug on my LS1....the LT1's dont have this freeze plug though...so it works great on those.

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing removal???