Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What would cause no reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would cause no reverse?

Went to the track today and while trying to back up to do a burn out, I could not get it in reverse. On a previous run, (I am new to 6 speed burnouts without a line lock) I did a clutch burn out. The car went down the track ok and shifted fine. That is the only thing that I did that I remember that could have caused any damage. Later after letting car cool, I was able to get it in reverse, but it was very hard to do.

Any ideas on what I screwed up?
Old 06-05-2005, 02:26 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like the reverse lockout solenoid.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Onyx Z
Sounds like the reverse lockout solenoid.
This would be my guess too.
Check it out maybe it got somehow disconnected or just died on you.
It will throw a code too (SES) it's underneath the tranny on the passenger side.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Either the solenoid or the clutch isn't disengaging enough to get it into reverse. If there is air in the system or the fluid is too low you won't be able to shift gears very well as the slave/throwout bearing aren't giving enough throw to disengage the clutch all the way.

How's the pedal feel? Engagement point? Check your resevoir fluid level.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
Either the solenoid or the clutch isn't disengaging enough to get it into reverse. If there is air in the system or the fluid is too low you won't be able to shift gears very well as the slave/throwout bearing aren't giving enough throw to disengage the clutch all the way.

How's the pedal feel? Engagement point? Check your resevoir fluid level.
Pedal feels fine, it shifted fine on the way home. I will check fluid level today.

Is the solenoid internal?
Old 06-05-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Spellbound
Pedal feels fine, it shifted fine on the way home. I will check fluid level today.

Is the solenoid internal?
No, it is external. It's located under the car on the top rear of the transmission, on the passenger side, where the shfter mounts.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

I checked the wiring, it seems to be all plugged in. There is proper fluid level. Car shifts fine in all forward gears. Can a solenoid just quit that quickly?
Old 06-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Launching!

This may sound stupid, but have you noticed anything wrong w/ your speedometer. Check your VSS on the top left side of tranny by the shifter. I had problems getting mine in reverse also while doing some work by it. I had a wire that had been pulled out of the connector.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:33 AM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happened to me. are you throwing the SES? When it happened to me, my stock 02 sensor on the pass side rubbed against my LTs and burnt it out, which blew a fuse and threw my SES and activated the reverse lockout. Check your fuses if you havent already and go from there..
Old 06-17-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lilstephsls1
this happened to me. are you throwing the SES? When it happened to me, my stock 02 sensor on the pass side rubbed against my LTs and burnt it out, which blew a fuse and threw my SES and activated the reverse lockout. Check your fuses if you havent already and go from there..
Which fuse would it blow?

Almost seems as though I'm having the exact same issue as you... I'm slowly putting together the pieces of a puzzle Around the same time I started to notice even more excessive of a fuel smell compared to before, really crappy city driving gas mileage and a slight studdering off idle... Reverse became a b1tch to get in to.

Tomorrow I'm going to check to see if an O2 extension or O2 wire has been burned by my LT's causing all of these problems. Thanks for this info!
Old 10-05-2005, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SupahRich
Which fuse would it blow?

Almost seems as though I'm having the exact same issue as you... I'm slowly putting together the pieces of a puzzle Around the same time I started to notice even more excessive of a fuel smell compared to before, really crappy city driving gas mileage and a slight studdering off idle... Reverse became a b1tch to get in to.

Tomorrow I'm going to check to see if an O2 extension or O2 wire has been burned by my LT's causing all of these problems. Thanks for this info!
Did yo ever find out what the problem was....

Mine went away....came back the next time I went to the track

This is on the vette btw...
Old 10-05-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just blew a fuse one time for no reason. I would have to use my knee and force it into reverse cause I was fighting the selonoid. Check the fuses and one was blown. I replaced it and all was good. Hasnt happened again since and its been like 2 years.