Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Vibrations at 1800 RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vibrations at 1800 RPM's

I am having vibrations at 1800rms.....Could this possibly be a bent crank shaft?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Launching!

if it was a bent crank it would get worse with higher rpm

how about you elaborate more on your "vibration"

where is it comming from and so on
Old 06-10-2005, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tippmann243
if it was a bent crank it would get worse with higher rpm

how about you elaborate more on your "vibration"

where is it comming from and so on

My vibration is when reving the engine up and while the rpms are coming back down. This vibration is there while I am driving or sitting in neutral around 1800 to 2000 rpms. But I think it is from my pressure plate and flywheel being balanced together and I have changed things since they were balanced so I am not sure... I am in the middle of a T56 swap and nothing is going right.... just looking at all of the problems that are going on...
Old 06-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Launching!

well just think of it this way if its out of balance at low speeds most of the time its going to get worse with more speed

you may want to check your exhaust and motor mounts or maybe a driveshaft

other than that im stumped
Old 06-11-2005, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tippmann243
well just think of it this way if its out of balance at low speeds most of the time its going to get worse with more speed

you may want to check your exhaust and motor mounts or maybe a driveshaft

other than that im stumped

Driveshaft is brand new, and hd aluminum and has been balanced. Exhaust has just been re-worked due to the T56 swap.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Default vibration

I had a similar vibration while sitting still with the clutch in or out. It would vibrate bad at 1000 and about 1800. My problem was the balance with the flywheel and pressure plate. Had a new Aussie clutch installed that had each part individually balanced and the vibration is completely gone away.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by paulcars
I had a similar vibration while sitting still with the clutch in or out. It would vibrate bad at 1000 and about 1800. My problem was the balance with the flywheel and pressure plate. Had a new Aussie clutch installed that had each part individually balanced and the vibration is completely gone away.
What was the original set up that you were running? The only problem is I know that this is a great clutch and flywheel set up but, I am still having problems slipping only on an incline with my set up. I have installed a T56 in my 2000 Silverado with a 4.8 and if I just drive it, it is ok but if I drive on any sort of incline or take off hard it slips. I have tried so many different combinations... and I am at a loss.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:26 AM
Banned

I have a simular problem, but mine is from 2000 to 2200 rmps, its durring acceleration, deceleration and if i hold it at that rpm band.... but i only feel it if i got my hand on the shifter, if i dont the car feels just as smooth as any other rpm range... go figure, but i am interested to see if oyu find and answer to your problem. oh by the way i got a B&M short throw, Spec stage 2 clutch and steel flywheel.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah... Spec told me on the phone that they balanced the clutch and flywheel at the factory before shipping it out. So i couldnt figure out where my vibration was coming from (also in the 1800 2000 rpm range) because I did a bunch of mods around the same time. But I put a new balanced clutch in recently and the vibration went away so... Dont take the manufacturers word that your clutch and flywheel are balanced and also... I dont remember enough from physics class to clearly explain the harmonics of rotational forces, but from my personal experience and from what i've read on here... clutch/flywheel vibrations that are caused by imbalance are often more noticable at certain rpm's and dont always get worse with higher rpm.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
yeah... Spec told me on the phone that they balanced the clutch and flywheel at the factory before shipping it out. So i couldnt figure out where my vibration was coming from (also in the 1800 2000 rpm range) because I did a bunch of mods around the same time. But I put a new balanced clutch in recently and the vibration went away so... Dont take the manufacturers word that your clutch and flywheel are balanced and also... I dont remember enough from physics class to clearly explain the harmonics of rotational forces, but from my personal experience and from what i've read on here... clutch/flywheel vibrations that are caused by imbalance are often more noticable at certain rpm's and dont always get worse with higher rpm.
well... thats not what I wanted to hear, cause now there is going to be more work that I'm going to have to do now! but I thankyou for the answer and I'm sure your right, cause the clutch and flywheel have been the only mods ive done that rotate.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah, i know its a bummer.. Being short on cash, i lived with vibration for 30 thousand miles... when i did replace the clutch, i had a new rear main seal put in incase the out of balance flywheel/clutch wore it more than usual (probably a good idea considering its low price)

Quick Reply: Vibrations at 1800 RPM's