Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mods for LOng lasting transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mods for LOng lasting transmission

What are all the things possible to get to make the trans last a long time?
so far i have learned
-trans temp gauge
- trans cooler 24k btu +
-deep trans pan (is it good for lowered cars?)
-full synthetic fluid?
-transgo shift kit

anything else? best places/prices to get these?
thanks
Old 06-12-2005, 03:26 AM
Launching!

From what I've read on the site all the things you listed are good except for the synthetic fluid. Apparently synthetic isn't good for the tranny, Ive read mixed reviews on it.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

Good old dino oil here. If you run a 160 therostat that will also keep your fluid cooler
Old 06-12-2005, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second the standard tranny fluid. I recall reading that it's because the organic clutch material wears quicker with synthetic fluid. I recently got my newly rebuilt tranny back (Max Evil, through speed inc) and Larry recommended I change to synthetic fluid after ~1k miles of break in.

If you want your tranny to last longer than mine do everything on your list and:
Do not let it get hot. Try to keep it under say 210* at all times, and don't get on it when the temp is over 200*.
Avoid WOT downshifts. In other words, highway rolls. 4-2 downshifts are killer to these trannies. (wish I knew that earlier ) What larry at speed inc recommended if I did want to go from a freeway roll was to put the shifter into drive (3) and go from there. Even then, it's better not to.
Change the fluid every year/15,000 miles or so, depending on how hard you are on it, how much you race it, etc.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
I'll second the standard tranny fluid. I recall reading that it's because the organic clutch material wears quicker with synthetic fluid. I recently got my newly rebuilt tranny back (Max Evil, through speed inc) and Larry recommended I change to synthetic fluid after ~1k miles of break in.

If you want your tranny to last longer than mine do everything on your list and:
Do not let it get hot. Try to keep it under say 210* at all times, and don't get on it when the temp is over 200*.
Avoid WOT downshifts. In other words, highway rolls. 4-2 downshifts are killer to these trannies. (wish I knew that earlier ) What larry at speed inc recommended if I did want to go from a freeway roll was to put the shifter into drive (3) and go from there. Even then, it's better not to.
Change the fluid every year/15,000 miles or so, depending on how hard you are on it, how much you race it, etc.

So are you saying just to leave it in OD and floor it?? Or no highway racing at all is good?? I heard WOT in OD was bad??
Old 06-12-2005, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue2000Z28
So are you saying just to leave it in OD and floor it?? Or no highway racing at all is good?? I heard WOT in OD was bad??
WOT in overdrive as in fourth gear is bad. In general if you are racing it is better to put the shifter in "drive" than "overdrive" (3 for firebird owners). It's best to completely avoid or at least minmize highway racing from a roll, but if you are going to do it (I used to do it a lot) it is best to do it from drive.

I still wonder why it's not, or if it actually is, good to put the shifter into second while cruising along then punch it and push the shifter up to drive. Oh well.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I see a lot of people having problems with shift kits, probably due to incorrect installation. However i've stayed away from them. I'd do all of the above but synthetic and shift kit. I have a vig 3200 with tuning and it shifts nice and firm under load.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
WOT in overdrive as in fourth gear is bad. In general if you are racing it is better to put the shifter in "drive" than "overdrive" (3 for firebird owners). It's best to completely avoid or at least minmize highway racing from a roll, but if you are going to do it (I used to do it a lot) it is best to do it from drive.

I still wonder why it's not, or if it actually is, good to put the shifter into second while cruising along then punch it and push the shifter up to drive. Oh well.
Well with the maxevil tranny i dont see why placing the shifter in 2nd, waiting till it shifts to second then flooring it, and moving it back to d would be bad...but then again... ....I have no idea
Old 06-12-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Ive got an upgraded transmission, by not a sponsor. Ive got about 40-50k with trans and synthetic fluid(Royal Purple). I believe it actually saved my trans. The cooler line came off on the freeway. I lost 4.5 quarts! Put more back in it and havent had any problems since!
Old 06-12-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was watching Horsepower TV this morning and they put regular oil in it to break it in and after 1000 miles the were going to put RP synthetic in it.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think its a same that GM desined and implemented a transmission that cant be punched from a roll. i have smoked the 2-3 clutches in a 4l60 3 times, finally gave up on them and switched to a th350 manual valve body. i like it much better. id reccomend a deep trans pan, and straight made in the usa ATF, no synthetic.