Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can someone help with these under dash connectors and wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can someone help with these under dash connectors and wiring?

I spent most of yesterday searching, and found some great stuff. 2MuchRiceMakesMesick has a great stereo harness wiring pinout, which helped me out greatly.

The first two pictures are for a connector tucked away in the area where the headlight switch is. Its wrapped in a peice of foam. It is a 2 pin connector with a black wire and a black/white wire.

The third is the Body Control Module. I appears that a plug is missing. Is this normal for Camaros?

The next two are for relays that are between the stereo and glove box. I have two dash harnesses. I believe they are that of a 2001/2 Camaro and 2001/2 Firebird because when I was using 2muchRice's diagram, one stereo harnes had a pink (power antenna) wire and the other didn't. The other had a blue & white wire for stereo speed volume control ( the the other didn't). So getting back tothese relays, the "Camaro" harness is the 4th picture and is missing the upper relay. The 5th picture is the "firebird" harness and it has both reays plugged in. Does anyone know what these are for?

Thanks in advance,
David
Attached Thumbnails Can someone help with these under dash connectors and wiring?-dsc02678.jpg   Can someone help with these under dash connectors and wiring?-dsc02679.jpg   Can someone help with these under dash connectors and wiring?-dsc02680.jpg   Can someone help with these under dash connectors and wiring?-dsc02684.jpg   Can someone help with these under dash connectors and wiring?-dsc02686.jpg  

Old 06-12-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's another bunch of plugs:

The 1st pic is the BCM again, and next to it are two wires, Purple & black that are cut. Does anyone know where these go?

The second pic, I believe, is a daytime headlight module. Is this correct?

Next in the harness are connectors that are below or to the right of the glove box area. Possibly connections for the Key Fob unit?

The next two pics are of a plug that is above and to the right of the drivers knee, next to what I believe is the turn signal clicker. I unwrapped the tape on the last pic to get a better view.
Attached Thumbnails Can someone help with these under dash connectors and wiring?-dsc02667.jpg   Can someone help with these under dash connectors and wiring?-dsc02669.jpg   Can someone help with these under dash connectors and wiring?-dsc02697.jpg   Can someone help with these under dash connectors and wiring?-dsc02687.jpg   Can someone help with these under dash connectors and wiring?-dsc02688.jpg  

Old 06-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I spent most of yesterday searching, and found some great stuff. 2MuchRiceMakesMesick has a great stereo harness wiring pinout, which helped me out greatly.

The first two pictures are for a connector tucked away in the area where the headlight switch is. Its wrapped in a peice of foam. It is a 2 pin connector with a black wire and a black/white wire.

The third is the Body Control Module. I appears that a plug is missing. Is this normal for Camaros?

The next two are for relays that are between the stereo and glove box. I have two dash harnesses. I believe they are that of a 2001/2 Camaro and 2001/2 Firebird because when I was using 2muchRice's diagram, one stereo harnes had a pink (power antenna) wire and the other didn't. The other had a blue & white wire for stereo speed volume control ( the the other didn't). So getting back tothese relays, the "Camaro" harness is the 4th picture and is missing the upper relay. The 5th picture is the "firebird" harness and it has both reays plugged in. Does anyone know what these are for?

Thanks in advance,
David
This will probably take some research to get all the answers for you but there are a couple I can give you right away.

The missing plug on the BCM is a 6-pin green connector that contains the power door lock wiring. I would assume that it is missing because the car doesn't have power locks. This would also explain the 2-pin connector with black and black/white wires - this is the connector for the remote hatch release push button switch that would be mounted on the left side of the knee panel (below the headlight switch). No power locks - no remote hatch release.

I'll get back to you when I figure out what the relays are for.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Here's another bunch of plugs:

The 1st pic is the BCM again, and next to it are two wires, Purple & black that are cut. Does anyone know where these go?

The second pic, I believe, is a daytime headlight module. Is this correct?

Next in the harness are connectors that are below or to the right of the glove box area. Possibly connections for the Key Fob unit?

The next two pics are of a plug that is above and to the right of the drivers knee, next to what I believe is the turn signal clicker. I unwrapped the tape on the last pic to get a better view.
Unless the picture didn't come out properly, I would say that those wires are purple and gray. I can't tell if there are stripes on either wire. Judging from them being in the BCM harness, here are the positions they could belong (all are in the 32-pin blue connector):
C2 - Purple with White - Ignition key resistor return
C4 - Purple with White - Fasten seat belt indicator control
C7 - Gray - Interior lamps command input
C12 - Gray - Security indicator lamp control
D11 - Gray with Black - Driver's door open input

Yes, that looks like the DRL module. It's a little out of focus but you should have two 8-pin connectors - one black and one blue. The black one should have these wire colors: orange, light blue, dark blue, red, light blue with white, yellow, dark blue with white, and brown. The blue one should have these wire colors: black, pink, tan with white, light blue, brown, light green with black, yellow with black, and another light green with black.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The relay missing from the first harness and present in the second (two orange, one brown, one black with white) is the theft deterrent relay that is used to flash the parking lights when the alarm is armed/disarmed or triggered.

Still researching...
Old 06-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

It would appear that the three connectors on the main harness are inline connectors to other sub-harnesses.

The natural color (white) 10-pin connector would be C220 which carries mostly transmission related wires along with the oil pressure warning light signal and the vehicle speed sensor pulses. Wire colors should be tan, gray, pink, purple, black with white, orange with black, brown, another orange with black, light green, yellow with black, and dark green with white.

The blue 10-pin connector would be C230 which carries a variety of engine and fuel system signals. Wire colors should be gray, brown with white, white, tan, dark blue, dark green with white, another gray, dark green, purple, and another dark green. A V6 harness may have light blue with black intead of the first gray.

The black 8-pin connector would be C240 which carries various stereo system signals. Wire colors should be dark blue, tan, gray, light blue, orange, dark green, light green, and another dark green.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Cool! Good stuff WhiteBird00! I won a 99 GM service manual yesterday, so hopefully that will help me out with some of the wiring. I hope the colors dont change to much between 99 and 01.

A salvage yard that I deal with on ebay a lot lets me have a lot of things when I go to his place. He was going to throw these dashes out, and let me have them because they were cut at the ends. I figured that I would have to make my own custom harness anyway so I'm hoping that I can. between the 1994 & 1999 GM service manuals I think I can figure things out.
So the gren connector that goes to the right side of the BCM, is that a seperate harness? If so, that would explain why it is not connected. If the connectors come off easily, then the salvage yard probably unplugs them, if not he cuts them (as these dashes were meant to be thrown away).

Is the rear hatch release in the same location on Camaros? It must be, because both harnesses have that same wire tucked away. I'm going to have to search for a picture of one to see where it goes and what it looks like.

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It would appear that the three connectors on the main harness are inline connectors to other sub-harnesses.

The natural color (white) 10-pin connector would be C220 which carries mostly transmission related wires along with the oil pressure warning light signal and the vehicle speed sensor pulses. Wire colors should be tan, gray, pink, purple, black with white, orange with black, brown, another orange with black, light green, yellow with black, and dark green with white.

The blue 10-pin connector would be C230 which carries a variety of engine and fuel system signals. Wire colors should be gray, brown with white, white, tan, dark blue, dark green with white, another gray, dark green, purple, and another dark green. A V6 harness may have light blue with black intead of the first gray.

The black 8-pin connector would be C240 which carries various stereo system signals. Wire colors should be dark blue, tan, gray, light blue, orange, dark green, light green, and another dark green.
Dude, you rock! The Circuit number is awesome too, thanks, that makes it easier when trying to follow the GM service manuals. I wish they would put circuit numbers on the actual cables
Old 09-13-2005, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excuse me for resurrecting this thread, but those are great pics! Is all that electrical tape factory? The reason I'm asking is that my car has both grey and black electrical tape on some of the wiring....
Anyone know for sure?
Thanks!
Old 09-13-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah thats all stock tape. If you look at the pics some have gray (3rd pic in post#1) others have black (4th pic in post#2) on my harness too.

I bought a factory service manual which is helping a great deal too.

Quick Reply: Can someone help with these under dash connectors and wiring?