Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealth II installed.... impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stealth II installed.... impressions

I posted this on the vette forums figure I might as well put it here to because this is the BEST SITE, and I didn't find alot of Stealth II posts when I searched

-----------------------------------

Well my project "I'm not going to mod this one" is coming along nicely. Just finished installing a MTI Stealth II cam 224/220 581/581 on a 116. My full mod list is

Stelth II cam
LG LT's with ORP
Borla stinger with flowmaster 1 chambers
918's and Ti retainers
TRAP intake

My goal was to build a car that was everything the Z06 is but better. I wasn't going to do headers but a deal fell in lap, so now my exaust is pretty damn loud but other than that my goals have been accomplished.

I have an 01 so it has the 116 lsa stock, aside from the sewing machine sound you really wouldn't know a cam was in there if you didn't know LSx motors. Accellaration is much much more linear than stock, Tire spin on the supercars is excessive and I haven't even gone past 4500 rpm (will do that tomorrow after the springs cool off)

Basically the cam has not really had ANY negative effect on the drivability of the car and its NOT EVEN TUNED yet!!!! Its just made a great thing even better. I can't comment on gas mileage because I don't care enough to watch it.

So my goal of a Z06 mannerisim just "better" have been achieved, I need to get some Cats on it to quiet it down some (although it sounds pretty mean) and then tune it. Hopefully I can get some tuning done tonight and tommorow and take it the track on Friday. After I have it dialed in (or maybe I'll tune it on the dyno a bit) I'll get dyno numbers. I hope for 390-410rwhp I never did a baseline so I don't know how strong the car was to begin with.

Bobby
Old 06-15-2005, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the install and post up some numbers after you get it tuned
Old 06-15-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

NICE!!! Congrats on the new cam!!
Old 06-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

great info. i have lg's too with off road pipe and stingers, what a a sound! i have had people follow me on the street just to tell me how good it sounds when we get to a light.
i have also ordered the stealthII cam, glad to hear that it is stealthy
Old 06-16-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Silvervette73
great info. i have lg's too with off road pipe and stingers, what a a sound! i have had people follow me on the street just to tell me how good it sounds when we get to a light.
i have also ordered the stealthII cam, glad to hear that it is stealthy

LOL if you have that exaust setup I don't know how stealthly your ride is going to be

I'm going right now to take it to a back road and do a full run to 6400 I'll post how it does above 4400 I'm always going to second guess myself that I could have went with an F13 but at the same time I set a goal for the car and I am going to stick to it I can always change it later....although with that cam install it will be MUCH later
Old 06-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Teching In

I have a 99 T/A M-6, stealth II cam, but running hooker shortys and randomtech catted Y with a borla catback, and 4:11's this cam needs longtubes for sure, I have issues, with a banging Y, creating false knock at high RPM'S, I am on stock tune for now,but it is a good street cam, makes good flat torgue, this cam is a good street cam, next on my list is longtubes and tunning, hoping to hit 385 HP, making 355 now, and running rich, I wish there were more posts about this cam, I think its a good cam for what it is.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What do you want to know, I've had mine in for over a year. Spliced it, diced it , sprayed it. Being a reverse, it likes good exhaust flow to shine. Although it will run on stock tune, it will be real lean on top and you are loosing major power. So far with stock heads, I've shifted anywhere from 6300>6600, 6400 being the best.
If you're not in Cali, get at least MACs, it likes them on top.
A tune will be night and day, I promise you that.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Funny about the exhaust. I used to complain that my car was too quiet (Long tubes and ORPs on SLP CME setup) a moth ago I won a Magnaflow so I installed it

I'm going to leave the exhaust alone until I get my heads and cam in and tuned, then I might put my high flow cats back in to take the edge off.

Right now I feel like every cop within a half mile drops his donut if I crack it past half throttle ...it does sound nice though.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:44 AM
TECH Regular

Accellaration is much much more linear than stock, Tire spin on the supercars is excessive and I haven't even gone past 4500 rpm (will do that tomorrow after the springs cool off)

What is a supercar?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98A4LS1
Accellaration is much much more linear than stock, Tire spin on the supercars is excessive and I haven't even gone past 4500 rpm (will do that tomorrow after the springs cool off)

What is a supercar?
It's the Goodyear tire the Vettes come with.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

what gas mileage are you gettin with the cam and everyone is talking about HP, how much is it helpin' the ET?

Last edited by greatskiiiier; 06-28-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
what gas mileage are you gettin with the cam and everyone is talking about HP, how much is it helpin' the ET?

**** I had a big long response typed out and lost it, well in summary.

I don't really care about gas mileage I have fun when I drive and get about 15-16mpg I don't expect the cam to loose too much considering I probably gained some with the exaust. But again I don't know and don't really care....

ET's are unreliable sources of performance increase which is why everyone posts dyno numbers. There are too many factors such as driver, tires, track prep, conditions etc etc. I ran 12.8's on a 100 degree day with stock tuning and headers. I imagine with the TRAP intake, cam, traction and tuning I should be close if not in the 11's. Again I don't consider myself a great driver but I imagine the car will be quite capible of 11's.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

BTW she breaks loose in 3rd on a WOT run