Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

My fathers day present to myself ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My fathers day present to myself ....

Was a Pantera kill on the way out to Skagit Regional Airport That's right, a friggen' genuine 351 Cleveland powered 1972 Pantera ! I don't think I've even seen one of these outside of ORR in 15 years and today I killed one in a highspeed contest on a wide open road with about a 6 mile straight Amazingly enough that's my 3rd kill in 24 hrs and normally I get about 2 a year ( or whenever I race Mark )

I know you guys don't really know this area but I was headed north on I-5, T-tops out just cruising and took the Chuckanut drive exit ( I KNOW some of you remember Chuckanut drive ). This exit winds all the way around until your headed south again and ends at a stoplight. At the stoplight you can go left into the town of Burlington, or right over the I-5 overpass out towards Chuckanut drive. I was sitting in the left turn lane all by myself headed into Burlington, and here comes this friggen' LOUD Pantera squeeling his tires all the way around this corner and he goes right. Once I popped my eyes back into my head I took an immediate right ( like you didn't know lol ! ). Instead of continuing out toward Chuckanut he took a left just over the overpass and headed towards Bow. This road is virtually straight for about 6 miles with NOTHING out there but a couple of farms. I just paced him at about 75-85 mph maybe 150 ft behind him at first just checking the car out. It was REALLY loud, but didn't sound all that great. I could hear it very well with my t-tops out even over all the wind noise. Sounded like it was running a little rough to me ? Anyway after about 2 miles I downshifted into 4th at about 85 mph, eased into the throttle and started to pull up on him a little bit .... obviously he was watching me like a hawk because his response was immediate ... he wooded it. Naturally I did the same At this point he probably had better than 200 ft on me, I could've downshifted, but instead chose to just let it wind out and "come on cam" gradually. Once we got above 110 or so I started pulling him HARD. I shifted into 5th at about 140 and brought it up to 150 or so and by this time I either had to pass him or slow down to keep from running over him ... I didn't really want to pass somebody on a fairly narrow road at 150 so I wisely decided to slow down and just follow him, which I did for the next 5 miles all the way to Skagit Regional Airport lol !

I pulled in next to him and he had the biggest grin on his face and I'm sure I did too. I was pumped big time. It turns out he was there to work on his airplane ( rich ****** ! ) He had just picked up the Pantera less than a week before at some auction for a bankrupt business of some sort. It was a little rough i.e. had primer spots in 5-6 places, but was straight and looked to be in good general shape. He told me the engine was missing a little and running intermittantly on 7 cylinders. It also had alot of blowby and I could see oil spatters on the bright yellow paint on the rear deck. It was only the 2nd day he had driven it ( weather ) and said he was going to redo the engine and have it painted in the next few months. Obviously NOT a pristeen example, but still a sweet car and even though I didn't pass him I'll take that kill anyway. The funny thing is that 150 mph with the T-tops out is LOUD ! But I don't remember any noise at all ?? Seriously ! Weird !

My other 2 kills, which were mundane in comparison, were last night on a Lightening and an '03 Cobra, which you can read about here if your interested. Happy fathers day to ME haha !
Old 06-19-2005, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Tech Addict

That is way cool, nice.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Wow... what a day you had, Bill! And to think, I only got a lowly newer Porsche 911 Carrera on my way down to the show this morning...

Little car corners pretty damn well, as he stayed right on my *** through a twisty road... but you'd be proud, I didn't let him pass me in the turns on a winding 4 laner.

Then we hit Hwy 167 on a nice big straight... and it was "Porsche, like no other... in my rear view mirror."
Old 06-19-2005, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Since I'm sure you didn't get shots of it Bill... these are for you. Sorry I didn't get some from in front, but he was heading into Bellingham as I was sitting on Best Rd. When I first saw it I thought it was real... but as I got closer and could see the many many bondo and repair spots, I thought no way would someone let their real deal turn out like such and it had to be a kit. That and with how it sounded (which 7 cylindars sounds right now lol) I just didn't think it'd be the real deal.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

That's THEE ******' CAR dude ! I can't believe you actually got pics of the EXACT same car This is too weird haha ! And yes it was an original '72 Pantera. You didn't try to race him ? He might not have bitten the 2nd time after experiencing the way I ran up on his six

Thanks for the pics .. that's too cool
Old 06-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Actually, those were taken yesterday on the way down to the BBQ.

Although I don't think I could get him to bite anyhow as I did try... there were a couple times where I could hear him downshift and get on it... but so did I and in the Strat, he didn't go anywhere... although I know what the outcome would have been. lol
Old 06-20-2005, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racehead
Was a Pantera kill on the way out to Skagit Regional Airport That's right, a friggen' genuine 351 Cleveland powered 1972 Pantera ! I don't think I've even seen one of these outside of ORR in 15 years and today I killed one in a highspeed contest on a wide open road with about a 6 mile straight Amazingly enough that's my 3rd kill in 24 hrs and normally I get about 2 a year ( or whenever I race Mark )
I think next time I'm out on a sunny day, I'll have to take a cruise up north & see about this. How does 10-150 sound big boy?

Excellent kills Bill! Your car with that cam is even nastier than it was before. 172mph stock....what a slug.

I could have raced one of them crotch-rocket bikes yesterday, but since he was passing me on a 2 lane hiway (203) in traffic, I thought better of it. The car coming the other way had to swerve to miss him as it was.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Sounds like a fun day Bill!

I got myself a little something for fathers day too.

1 221-8515 Inspiron 6000D,Intel Pentium MProcessor 730 (1.60GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
1 320-4268 15.4 inch WUXGA LCD Panel for Inspiron 6000d
1 311-4739 512MB, DDR2,400MHz 2 Dimms, Inspiron 6000
1 320-3897 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300Video Card, for Inspiron 6000
1 341-2126 80GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive for Inspiron 6000

Old 06-20-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Awesome kill.

On a side note, while car shopping with my folks yesterday in Mt Vernon, I saw a gggggorgeous black Lamborghini Countach parked outside a speed shop near the Buick/Toyota dealership there just off the 5.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Wow... what a day you had, Bill! And to think, I only got a lowly newer Porsche 911 Carrera on my way down to the show this morning...

Little car corners pretty damn well, as he stayed right on my *** through a twisty road... but you'd be proud, I didn't let him pass me in the turns on a winding 4 laner.

Then we hit Hwy 167 on a nice big straight... and it was "Porsche, like no other... in my rear view mirror."
Way to represent Jason Sounds like a good day for all lol !

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I think next time I'm out on a sunny day, I'll have to take a cruise up north & see about this. How does 10-150 sound big boy?
Now what was I thinking again ? ... oh yeah ... I know a road

Originally Posted by Rokko
Sounds like a fun day Bill!

I got myself a little something for fathers day too.

1 221-8515 Inspiron 6000D,Intel Pentium MProcessor 730 (1.60GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
1 320-4268 15.4 inch WUXGA LCD Panel for Inspiron 6000d
1 311-4739 512MB, DDR2,400MHz 2 Dimms, Inspiron 6000
1 320-3897 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300Video Card, for Inspiron 6000
1 341-2126 80GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive for Inspiron 6000

Way to go Rick it sounds like a pretty nice one to me. Does it have a serial port ?? My laptop is currently being sent back to me after they could find nothing wrong with it. It's only been 2 1/2 months now

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Awesome kill.

On a side note, while car shopping with my folks yesterday in Mt Vernon, I saw a gggggorgeous black Lamborghini Countach parked outside a speed shop near the Buick/Toyota dealership there just off the 5.
I drove thru that parking lot twice yesterday. Wished I would've seen that car lol ! Lots of hotrodders go there, it's actually the Indian motorcycle dealer with integral restaurant and is a real cool place to eat/hang out etc. Next time you'll have to go inside and check it out.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Way to go Rick it sounds like a pretty nice one to me. Does it have a serial port ?? My laptop is currently being sent back to me after they could find nothing wrong with it. It's only been 2 1/2 months now
No serial port. I gotta get ahold of Mark to see what he's using for a USB interface for HPTuner, which was the driving force to get this. Here I have this 650 dollar tuning software package that I can't utilize.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

No serial port. I gotta get ahold of Mark to see what he's using for a USB interface for HPTuner, which was the driving force to get this. Here I have this 650 dollar tuning software package that I can't utilize.
Keyspan is the one you want. The others seem to have issues with tuning software. I don't remember where Mark got his, but I think there around $30 or so ?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

Yep, Keyspan works great. $30 from CompUSA.

Mount your camera in the car Bill & give me a call.

So can somebody please explain to me how our mobile-home-park F-bodies are drilling all these exotics into the ground? Must be bad gas in Bellevue or something, eh?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Cool!! I'll get one of those in the next couple days. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-20-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Yep, Keyspan works great. $30 from CompUSA.

Mount your camera in the car Bill & give me a call.

So can somebody please explain to me how our mobile-home-park F-bodies are drilling all these exotics into the ground? Must be bad gas in Bellevue or something, eh?
Just because you have money doesn't mean you know how to drive what you spent it on.
Besides. Most of em' are lawyers which explains a lot.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

I think I'm going to get a "You just got whipped by a Mullet Mobile" license plate frame to add to their emarrassment.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I think I'm going to get a "You just got whipped by a Mullet Mobile" license plate frame to add to their emarrassment.
license plate frames just ain't enough bait... believe me, I know. But I'm thinking a rear window banner that reads "If you can read this, you LOST!" should do the trick.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Loves to change spark plugs

Cool Bill! Glad you got some extra fun in on Dad Day! I'm next to the Aurora Airport and a couple exotics are "hangered" next door. Apparently not an uncommon thing, eh?

There are a couple Panteras running around down here. There is a very rough looking dark cherry colored one that some old geezer drives around like he's on meth, all wild eyed and lip chewing. The guy's a freak! Actually, he's fricken scary and I advise all locals to avoid playing with him. He drives worse than most ricers and as ugly as his car is, it does run nice and he has the power to go and the size to pop into tight spaces and scare the crap out of other drivers. Nearly caused a multi car pile merging and swapping lanes on the freeway when I messed with him even though I backed way off to avoid traffic.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Racehead
I drove thru that parking lot twice yesterday. Wished I would've seen that car lol ! Lots of hotrodders go there, it's actually the Indian motorcycle dealer with integral restaurant and is a real cool place to eat/hang out etc. Next time you'll have to go inside and check it out.
There was a restaurant there? This is off exit 229.........west of the freeway. Was some speed shops, car stereo places, custom car stuff all in a strip mall kinda setup. Was maybe 3-3:30 or so when I saw it.
Speaking of mullets........as we were test driving the Envoy........I saw some shirtless scrawny white **** with a Mullet/Mohawk combo Looked like he was on his way to the local Sheep Sodomizing Convention there.