Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Want to pull stock monsoon, what do I go with?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Want to pull stock monsoon, what do I go with?

OK, I admit that I am not a stereo guy. But, the stock system sucks and I need to get it out of there. My plans start with a 10" stealth box from subthump and a new headunit from Alpine. I also want to use a couple of Alpine amps with one dedicated to the sub. My questions are that I want to build a system that has a full sound. I want to replace the stock speakers with units that will fit the same holes. I want to use all Alpine speakers and amps to complete this. Anythoughts??? I have tried to piece together systems before, but ended up with a system that either lacked mids or bass, or just didn't sound any better than stock. Although it was louder. But loud is not the key. Just great sound and better volume than stock.

Carlos
Old 06-20-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just did the Alpine SPS-171A components up front and SPR-17LP coaxials in the rear powered by a 55x4 Alpine amp. I'd highly recommend Alpine's amps. This is the second one I've bought and I've had nothing but good things to say about them. As far as the speakers, there are probably better speakers you can buy for the same money, but Alpine's speakers are fine. I got mine off a discount website for a good deal but if it wasn't for that I would have gone with Boston Acoustics. Alpine is on a down swing with their head units. The older Alpines were better then these new ones. If you're dead set on an Alpine you'll probably want to spend a few bucks and get a good one like that 9855 because the power end ones aren't that great. I'd suggest a Pioneer over an Alpine deck.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I just finished putting in my new system tonight, I replaced my headunit with a Pioneer DEH-P6700MP its a real nice unit and the price is right. Behind that I replaced the speakers in the doors with some Pioneer 4 - ways 6 3/4" speakers. and threw in a subthump stealthbox with a JL Audio sub that I picked up on E-Bay for like 160 thats powered by a rockford fosgate something or other 2 way 600 watt peak amp. Well I got it all hooked up and fired it up and let me tell you I was dissapointed with that sub ... but then I got in the car and closed the hatch WOW that box is PERFECTLY designed for this car!! It sounds perfect. It hits nice and crisp without stretching the bass out too much. As for my opinion of Alpine, I think you are going to get ripped off if you think everything they make is great because unless you are spending ALOT of money on this system as long as you dont put DUALS or something in its all going to sound the same...
Old 06-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luna
As for my opinion of Alpine, I think you are going to get ripped off if you think everything they make is great because unless you are spending ALOT of money on this system as long as you dont put DUALS or something in its all going to sound the same...
Can you rephrase this?

Are you saying if you don't put duals in its going to sound the same as what?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jurisz28
OK, I admit that I am not a stereo guy. But, the stock system sucks and I need to get it out of there. My plans start with a 10" stealth box from subthump and a new headunit from Alpine. I also want to use a couple of Alpine amps with one dedicated to the sub. My questions are that I want to build a system that has a full sound. I want to replace the stock speakers with units that will fit the same holes. I want to use all Alpine speakers and amps to complete this. Anythoughts??? I have tried to piece together systems before, but ended up with a system that either lacked mids or bass, or just didn't sound any better than stock. Although it was louder. But loud is not the key. Just great sound and better volume than stock.

Carlos
get a headunit, one pair of component speakers, one sub, and a 4ch amp (2chs run the speakers and 2chs bridged to run the sub) this will be more audio then u need.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

So Alpine has dropped in quality? What would be a good head unit to go with? I like all of your ideas, including going with a pioneer deck. What about replacing the subs on the car now with a regular speaker.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

I am saying that you can put in Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, JVC, anything decent and it will sound about the same as Alpine for less money. Just don't touch "DUAL" its all low quality crap that stops working after a year or so
Old 06-21-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

get a headunit, one pair of component speakers, one sub, and a 4ch amp (2chs run the speakers and 2chs bridged to run the sub) this will be more audio then u need.
Well this will work but I don't recommend it, Because you will have to set you Filter on the amp at normal. Which means that your sub will be getting and outputting higher frequency sounds which will make it sound funny and it just won't hit right, your best bet is to get a seperate 4way for the speakers in the car. and either a 2 way or if you have the extra cash a mono amp for the sub
Old 06-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luna,

A number of multchannel amps let your set different filtering options for ch1/2 and 3/4 sets.

No reason why ch 1/2 can be full or HPF, while chs3/4 (or 3/4 bridged) can be LPF for the sub...

This is actually the route I'll be taking in my setup. I'm considering the alpine mrv-f345 or f545 amps (likely go with the 545 since its only a few bucks more, but puts out 125x4 rms or 125x2 + 500x1 rms --- into 4 ohms)
Old 06-21-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Yea I know the alpine ones do , and probably rockford fosgate too, but I have seen alot that only allow you to set one filter for all channels
Old 06-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Banned

Yea I know the alpine ones do , and probably rockford fosgate too, but I have seen alot that only allow you to set one filter for all channels
Most 4 channel amps I have seen allow you to set the crossovers on the front and back channels seperately. But who knows I could be wrong.

CMC
Old 07-19-2005, 02:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well this will work but I don't recommend it, Because you will have to set you Filter on the amp at normal. Which means that your sub will be getting and outputting higher frequency sounds which will make it sound funny and it just won't hit right, your best bet is to get a seperate 4way for the speakers in the car. and either a 2 way or if you have the extra cash a mono amp for the sub
o didnt know u didnt recommend it, my bad. your way should be get a 2ch amp for the components and a class d for the sub (same exact system i put in the gf's car last week, cost $2,500)

however for ease of space and money, a 4ch will be good for a amp and components, been done many times over. the ones i have done sound great.

anyways my point is a set of good components running off a amp is all most people need, no one needs 6,8,10 etc speakers unless u like going deaf.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Default Replacing stock system

In reality, true imaging comes from a set of speakers in front ... and a sub in back. THATS IT. Rear fill is hype, and not real sq. Excluding movie imaging. Most of the mainstream brands that people buy are so commonly used, that most people dont know what a higher end brand sounds like. Most of the higher end stuff is at a very decent price, if not less.

Take for example: Alpine, JL, Kenwood, Pioneer, Kicker, Sony, etc. All mainstream stuff. Though some have good products, there is usually a better bang for the buck. The better bang for the buck companies cant afford the expenses mainstream brands do on advertising. Take for example JL Audio. They spend millions of dollars every year. I know Im gonna get my *** chewed out for this but ... for the price, JL is overpriced AND overhyped.

Back to the point -

Alpines generally make good head units. You can stick with them if you like. Stay away from Kenwood, Sony, JVC, Clarion, and Rockford Fosgate.

Alpine speakers are more less better than the stock monsoons. You can do better for the money. Try CDTs, Adire Kodas, ADTs, and there is lots more out there. Spending a little more cash could get you real nice speakers. Image Dynamics Chameleon CXS series will run you about $300. Thats all you really need ... get 2 sets if you want.

Alpine amps are not my cup of tea. If you want a real amp, get a nice clean amp that has good sq. if you want speakers with 150w rms then get 2 150x2 amps ... otherwise price is high. Diamond Audio has a nice D7 amp that is 100x4. All you will EVER need. Get a nice matching sub amp if you want too. There is even nice 5 channel amps. Sound Stream has one. Probly a lil pricey but its there. 4 seperates + a mono.

For a sub ... Image Dynamics IDQ is less expensive than Type R and better performance.

Hope this helps
Old 07-23-2005, 04:42 AM
Teching In

go with (DEH-P80MP from pioneer along w/ some infinty components i didnt see anyone really talk about infinity.. but if you want good vocals.. best way to go at least in my opinion