Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about putting 01-02 ls1 in 98z.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 03:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about putting 01-02 ls1 in 98z.

I plan on getting a complete used 01-02 LS1 hopefully with all acc. pulleys,intake,coils etc.... I have a 98z28 the motor is totally destroyed has a hole on both front cylinders it has a crack that goes from the pass. side motor mount up to the timing cover dont know what it looks like behind the timing cover yet have to get a balancer pulley but the crack continues to the driver side motor mount. gonna try to get updated pics soon. but i have a pretty decent size chunk of the engine block the hole is right behind the AC Pump. So i was wondering the 01-02 ls1's have no EGR equipment would i just be able to take out the old smog stuff in my car and get the code disable? Also another thing is what do i do about PCM since its a 98 pcm v.s a 01-02 motor? Also would i need any wiring to be done to the harness for it to work for a 01-02 motor? Also have a question about AC Pump would i be able to delete the AC pump? that thing weighs like 40 pounds i dont really use the AC at all. So i was wondering did any Z28's or TA have a option not to have AC? So gm should probably have sometype of bracket with a pull that would replace the AC Pump pulley? Sorry for such a long post. Also about the PCM if i need to get a 01-02 pcm what do i do about the VATS? If i need the pcm flashed anyone here in CT know of any good places that can fix the codes and flash the PCM. Thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Stick with your 98 PCM, it'll be fine with the new motor. Just swap your 98-specific sensors to the new motor (knock sensors and engine coolant sensor are the main ones to worry about). You can pick up a copy of HP Tuners to turn off the tests for non-existing hardware (EGR, AIR system, etc.), so the Service Engine Soon light won't illuminate. Otherwise if you would like a shop to alter the PCM, use our zip code search on the "Alphabetical Sponsor List" at the top of the bar at the right side of the screen .. The LS1 Camaros were never available without A/C, but its trivial to remove it. Simply remove the compressor, bracket, and belt -- nothing else is necessary, since the A/C compressor has its own dedicated belt. Removing it doesn't affect the rest of the accessories.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Brains. Also i have a question i was searching for some ls1 motors when i came across some pretty good priced LS1's from vettes would i be able to stick a vette motor in my car without having to modify anything ill probably have to take the PCM to get tuned for sure for that motor. Can i just bolt up my accesories right to the vette motor? Also was pondering on getting a Z06 motor was wondering i can also put one of those in without any problems? Search some corvette forums can usally find vette motors easier then camaro or ta's and usally when i find vette motors these things have like less then 15k v.s camaro motors i usally find have 25k-60k and cost about the same as the vette motors. So i figured i try to get a 01-02 vette motor. Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bear in mind that an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1. There is no such thing as a "vette motor" in an F-body. Well, I guess there is, every V8 F-body qualifies though.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:55 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all genIII motors are interchangable. i swapped in a new forged motor built on an ls6 block into my 98. like brian said jut keep your PCM and wireharness and you can drop in any GenIII. however with a 6.0l block you'll need to tap an extra fitting for the alt. but other then that its the same. the 5.7's are direct swaps.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:57 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Just be sure to use the coolant temp sensor and oil pressure sensor off your '98 car and not the ones supplied on the '01-'02 motor. These are '98 specific and the new style sensors will not plug into the '98 wiring harness.

Jason
Old 06-22-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Another thing to mention, is if you use the motor from a Corvette, the accessories will be different. You'll want the brackets and accessories from your Camaro, including the balancer pulley. The engine itself is the same though.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Alright cool thanks for helping guys. I'm gonna start searching near the end of july for a Z06 motor 01-02 i been searching vette forums they usally run for 3200-4000k usally have less then 15k which is really good price. Some time this week i'm gonna take off my Harmonic balancer and get some good pics of the damage to my motor. Also i have a question about coil packs would i be able to use my coil packs on a 01-02 ls1? i read about the valve covers being different would the coil connectors still be the same. thanks for the help.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Why not buy a 408 from Scoggin Dicky for that much, you would have some of the best parts in the motor already.