Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crane 1.8:1's are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crane 1.8:1's are they worth it?

As stated... Are they worth it? What's better or equal? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

dyno 9 before
dyno 11 500 miles later
dyno 14 10 months later
Old 06-24-2005, 05:12 AM
11 Second Club

That's a question only you can answer, but for me they were definitely worth it. I replaced a set of SLP 1.85 rockers for a set of Crane 1.80 Quick-Lift roller rockers and, even though I lost a little valve lift, I gained 10 rwhp and 8 rwtq.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:21 AM
Banned

It's NOT a good mod for the money. I had 1.8 Harlans before I got the cam and it didn't feel like anything. Plus it limited the cam choices in the future. I sold 'em!
Old 06-24-2005, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
It's NOT a good mod for the money. I had 1.8 Harlans before I got the cam and it didn't feel like anything. Plus it limited the cam choices in the future. I sold 'em!
Rocker arms, like most everything else, are not all created equal. Not worring about what they may or may not "feel like," if you look at some of the real world dyno-proved gains the Crane rockers have made, they certainly can be considered worth the money.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info!

My other question to those who have used the crane rockers is....

Once they're adjusted and preload set, do they hold their setting, or is it something i'm going to be constantly tinkering with?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once there adjusted, leave them alone. rocker adjustment is tedious, but by no means difficult
Old 06-24-2005, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

There are certainly people on this site who are more knowledgable than me when it comes to these kinds of things, but when I looked at my options for kicking it up a bit, the Cranes seemed worth it to me. I didn't want to put in a new cam just yet, but I was having some valve float so I was going to install new springs and retainers and decided to upgrade the rockers while I was in there. I didn't think adjusting the rockers was all that bad. It was getting the coil packs removed and getting the rocker covers off that was a PITA. Reaching under the cowl to get to fasteners and bolts was painful because the little plastic push pins sticking through the cowl cut like razor blades. Anyhow, the Crane rockers changed the sound of my car to a deeper or more throaty sound. I like that. The geometry of the Crane VHP rocker ramps the valve open sooner and longer and adds lift. Isn't that part of what people are doing with camshaft swaps? I changed from my factory 1.7 rockers to the Crane 1.8 rocker which is actually a bit more than 1.8. Are they worth it? They are pricey but I guess you get what you pay for. I'll be taking my car to a dyno this summer to optimize my tune and see what I'm putting down at the rear wheels. I thought it was a reasonable alternative to changing cams at this point and from that perspective I thought it was worth it. I can say w/o question that my car runs better since the valve train upgrade. We'll see what the dyno numbers are here in a little bit. BTW my car is an '02 LS1 with a lid, SLP bellow, free mods & factory exhaust.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

So they don't every require any further adjustment once they are set? Can you go years without ever having to touch them again? I tend to put a lot of miles on my daily driver and don't want to be fooling around with them all the time. Would the rocker arms need adjusting before my 918's need replacing?
Old 06-24-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

They do not require periodic adjustment. Hydr. lifters adjust for you.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
why does it limit your cam choices? piston to valve clearance, supposed ramp rates, springs may not be able to handle the ramp rate, what exactly???

picking the right cam is what you need to do. vinci has already shown that going to a smaller cam with the higher ratio rockers make more OVERALL power than the larger cam and stock ratio rockers. hell, they even used the 1.7 accelerated lift rockers on the larger cam to 'help' it out.

Quick Reply: Crane 1.8:1's are they worth it?