Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the hell is this whine???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Bad Seller Alert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the hell is this whine???

Just put a ls1 motor in my car. Fired it up. Runs fine but there is a whine that sounds like a turbo. It is not from the intake, lid,airbox,tb,etc. It sounds like its coming from the back of the motor. All sensors and everything is hooked up. As you rev the car, the whine keeps up with the motor. Have no idea what this is. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never taken a close look at the manual tranny's in our cars...but do they have some type of flywheel cover? I have bent flywheel covers on other vehicles and when the flywheel hits it it sounds like a blower whine. And it wont necessarily do it all the time. It will also go up and down with the rev's.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whine, squeal, whirr. Those type of sounds are usually associated with a bad bearing, but you need to isolate the area where the sound is coming from using a mechanics stethoscope at idle speed. Are you sure it's not something scraping on the inside of the bellhousing (metal against metal)? Whether it is in the bellhousing or internal to the motor itself this is NOT good.

Last edited by eallanboggs; 06-25-2005 at 05:43 AM.